Leon mk2 tfsi sport project advice

Rickyr65sl

Jul 31, 2019
Manchester
Hi all... recently bought a bargain 2006 Leon sport tfsi.

Basically it’s a decent-ish car that’s only done a genuine 60k miles but the bodywork is very tatty.

I’ve got a lot of experience with the 2.0 tfsi lump having owned multiple mk5 golf gti’s and I’ve also been a regular on the mk5 gti uk forum for a few years.

I’m after some advice with regards to bodywork and interior on the Leon... being a sport it looks pretty plain.

I was thinking of fitting fr bumpers and interior, steering wheel etc but the wings are dented so I’ll be replacing them too.

What’s involved with regards to face lifting it? Do I need to cut/trim anything? Does the rad pack/ front slam panel etc need changing or can I use the one that’s fitted?

What’s the basic parts list I’d need?

And also is it even worth doing or is it easier to stick with pre facelift fr kit?

I have vcds so coding shouldn’t be an issue if needed

Future plans will be ko4 conversion as I already have some bits lying around from previous tfsi projects... I’ve got s3 8p front brake setup, intercooler, injectors, HPFP with auto tech internals and pretty sure I’ve got an intake somewhere.

Any advice at all will be great... I’ve never really messed around with Leon’s so don’t have a clue what the usual mods, retrofits etc are

Cheers

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Rad pack etc should be fine, are you sure you want to go for just the FR kit and not get a BTCC kit instead?

0.jpg

4639.jpg

Rickyr65sl

Jul 31, 2019
Manchester
Rad pack etc should be fine, are you sure you want to go for just the FR kit and not get a BTCC kit instead?

0.jpg

4639.jpg

I have thought about the btcc kit but the ones I’ve seen for sale on eBay are either in very poor condition or overpriced imo

To facelift the front end I’m assuming I’ll need the following:

Headlights
Wings
Complete bumper with grills
Bonnet?

Also has anyone retrofitted auto lights, dimming rear view mirror and high level mfd dash clocks? Wouldn’t mind doing those bits too depending on the work involved

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
I had a look at auto-lights and it seemed like a massive faf?

not sure you'd need bonnet and headlights to fit the FR kit?

Jester

Aug 17, 2018
Since you've asked for general advice, personally if it's that much of a bargain I'd do the bodywork up on it and flog it for a profit and start with at least an FR to begin with, saving all the styling update hassle.

If you absolutely have to keep it, again fix the panels but keep it Sport spec, do the mechanicals, bit of a sleeper.

Never seen the point of making one thing look like another. It's not like early FRs are particularly expensive either especially compared to Golfs etc. Don't mean to be negative or put a downer on the project, it's just my view.

Post a few pics of the Sport up so we can see what you're dealing with on the bodywork.

Reactions: Brimfull

Rickyr65sl

Jul 31, 2019
Manchester
The bodywork isn’t that bad to be honest... both front wings dented and it looks like someone used a Brillo pad to wash it in places mainly bonnet, front bumper and passenger door.

Other than that it’s a really straight car, I have a mate that’s an insurance approved bodywork repairer that will sort the paint out cheap.

Main reason for keeping this is because it’s a 2 owner car with full history and only done 60k miles, I’d be lucky to find an fr like that let alone for the £500 I paid for it.

Brimfull

Nov 7, 2018
Wrexham
Since you've asked for general advice, personally if it's that much of a bargain I'd do the bodywork up on it and flog it for a profit and start with at least an FR to begin with, saving all the styling update hassle.

If you absolutely have to keep it, again fix the panels but keep it Sport spec, do the mechanicals, bit of a sleeper.

Never seen the point of making one thing look like another. It's not like early FRs are particularly expensive either especially compared to Golfs etc. Don't mean to be negative or put a downer on the project, it's just my view.

Post a few pics of the Sport up so we can see what you're dealing with on the bodywork.
Best advice

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.