lights dimming

777cupra

Jan 12, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Ive had a small problem on my mk 1 LC pretty much since I had it, but will shortly be having more free time on my hands and mite get around to fixing it!

Basically when you have the headlights on and u operate something like the electric windows they dim slightly.

I dont think it's the earth's as I have been round the engine before cleaing them all up and it didn't make a difference.

I've heard mentionings before of a wiring loom between alternator and battery being a common fault?

any ideas anyone?

Thanks

Orguss

Mine don't dim when i use the windows etc but they do when i stop at junctions etc, i just assume i need a new battery

777cupra

Jan 12, 2007
Buckinghamshire
not tested my battery, dont think its that as it's been happening for about 2 years! and my last leon did the same before they changed some loom between the alternator and the battery

D.K

LCR 225
Oct 24, 2007
se london
My one does this too, normally when i'v got my music up loud.
I see you've got a couple of subs too this is proble puting extra load on the battery & alternater.
If you've got a big install you could try fitting a power cap between the battery & the amp

Nafo

Jun 25, 2007
North Yorkshire
Mine does this, but at any revs (I tried it out last night) when you operate both front windows it dims significantly, and dims a bit when you operate one front window or both back ones.

Also when its warming up and you rev it they dim then, but that would be explained by what edmong said.

Mine does this, but at any revs (I tried it out last night) when you operate both front windows it dims significantly, and dims a bit when you operate one front window or both back ones.

Also when its warming up and you rev it they dim then, but that would be explained by what edmong said.

same as me...even at motorway speeds....

it's not such a big deal for me really, I may fit a decent earthing/grounding kit or whatever they are, but not too fussed at the moment....

Andy

Mar 5, 2007
I've got a similar problem. I can't turn the volume on my stereo up for than half, or it starts to affect the headlights and the dash instrumentation.

Could this be a bad earth from the headunit, or the amp?

When I got the car serviced the checked it, and said the alternator was charging correctly.

Jay20VT

The 'R' In CupRa
Jul 23, 2004
N.London
Ive had a small problem on my mk 1 LC pretty much since I had it, but will shortly be having more free time on my hands and mite get around to fixing it!

Basically when you have the headlights on and u operate something like the electric windows they dim slightly.

I dont think it's the earth's as I have been round the engine before cleaing them all up and it didn't make a difference.

I've heard mentionings before of a wiring loom between alternator and battery being a common fault?

any ideas anyone?

Thanks

hello mate, just seen this thread. This used to happen to me in my LCR when the air con was on. Turns out the fans resistor was burnt out and fans operated at full tilt and chewed power from the battery and hence lights dimmed etc etc. Could this be the case here?, thought I would mention it..

777cupra

Jan 12, 2007
Buckinghamshire
sorry guys not been on here for a while, I checked and it does it when the engine is being revved and driven.

It doesn't do it when the subs are turned up loud n hitting big bass.

also the fans aren't going on at full whack either.

it only happens when u operate the windows really, and it also affects the dash lights