Limp Mode

CJRamze

Proud Seat Owner
Jun 29, 2008
Caldicot, South Wales
Hi Guys, I was on a ........ private road today and I thought I'd give the car some beans!
So from third gear to 4000rpm then 4th to 4000rpm and 5th then all the way as fast as the car would go.

I got to about 118mph and then there was no power, Im assuming thats probably the fastest my car can go with a passenger? (PD100 with a remap to 150bhp) the power then seemed to be like non existant so I assume thats as fast as the car will go,

So I gently slowed to 70mph and chucked the cruise control on I looked back again I was doing 65mph. I put my foot down again and there was no power, I dropped it into 4th and did the same again but still no power.

I'm assuming this is what you call "Limp mode" however there were no visual signs, This is the only time this has happened and I've given the car some beans a few times. Its only when I got to about 118mph.

I'm not going to be able to use the private road again for some time.
I turned the car off and back on a minute later and the car went back to normal.

Is my top speed 118 after the remap?
Should there be visual signs of limp mode?

Thanks all

chris4500uk

Nov 25, 2008
Near Middlesbrough
I used to have a PD100 remapped to around 130

I managed 129mph on a private road.

I thought limp mode popped a light on the dash?

Who remapped the car as that sounds too high for a standard map on a PD100?

That was with a passenger and nearly 90k on the clock.

Edit: Should mention that this was a polo however

CJRamze

Proud Seat Owner
Jun 29, 2008
Caldicot, South Wales
The PD100 engine I had stock'd in at 120bhp, and apparently is easily remapped to 150bhp. That being said I know nothing of cars!

129mph....hmmm
I'm starting to wondering now if the car went into limp at 118mph as the power was strong and then suddenly nothing.

Does that happen? Does the power peak and then suddenly stop?

Oct 17, 2006
Mid Wales
118mph is the quoted top speed for the PD100 Ibiza.

Remapping will NOT raise the top speed of the vehicle unless the red line is raised (unlikely)

Any readings over and above this speed will be down to speedo error

CJRamze

Proud Seat Owner
Jun 29, 2008
Caldicot, South Wales
118mph is the quoted top speed for the PD100 Ibiza.

Remapping will NOT raise the top speed of the vehicle unless the red line is raised (unlikely)

Any readings over and above this speed will be down to speedo error

I'm not doubting you however parkers says my cars top speed is 118mph, However it says my BHP is 98, which it wasnt, It was 120bhp.

So increasing BHP and Torque doesnt improve top end speed?

Oct 17, 2006
Mid Wales
no.

The speed of the car is determined by the gear ratios.

remapping the car doesn't change the ratios.

Imagine for example that you have a 2:1 gear ratio -

If your 'engine' gear spins at 2000rpm, your output gear spins at 4000rpm. It doesn't matter if you have 100bhp or 1000000bhp at the engine - this ratio is still the same.

The only way to increase max speed is for the redline to be increased, which is unlikely from a remap

nikstar

Feb 16, 2008
My fr diesel does same thing at around 135 but not near the redline cant remember exact rpms, would have thought that your engine wernt near rev limiter? Would suggest having a chat with who ever did your remap. Most cars wont get any were near rev limiter in top gear unless very highly tuned!

chris4500uk

Nov 25, 2008
Near Middlesbrough
Yes remapping doesn't increase the top end speed in terms of gear ratios

BUT

If your miles away from the redline in 5th then a remap is going to help it get there ! lol

At 129mph it wasn't near maxed out in the red.

Anyone know the actual max speed of the 5 speed box?

Also this was not recored on GPS, so it could be 10% out at max.

Ibiza 130 tdi

Black Magic
Jan 15, 2007
Somerset
Limp mode cuts the engine power by 30-40% I believe, with mine, you can tell a massive change in engine note and exhaust note change. You can feel the pedal almost go light when the power goes. And if you put the pedal right down, you can almost feel the car holding back a bit? It basically goes to the same power as a 1.0 8v.

And top speed will be acheived in 5th gear, not 6th. ;)

nikstar

Feb 16, 2008
Limp mode cuts the engine power by 30-40% I believe, with mine, you can tell a massive change in engine note and exhaust note change. You can feel the pedal almost go light when the power goes. And if you put the pedal right down, you can almost feel the car holding back a bit? It basically goes to the same power as a 1.0 8v.

You got any news on your limp mode problems bud?

CJRamze

Proud Seat Owner
Jun 29, 2008
Caldicot, South Wales

I dont have 6th!
hehe

I remember when my coil pack went in my previous car and Ibiza and it "Limited" itself and I couldnt get over 70mph then either.

The pedal going light did it at 118mph and when I couldn't get it over 70mph the pedal was very very light!

The power was very lost aswell, felt like...there wasnt a turbo tonight

Ibiza 130 tdi

Black Magic
Jan 15, 2007
Somerset
The power was very lost aswell, felt like...there wasnt a turbo tonight

I have a 30psi boost gauge on my hybrid 130 and it pretty much fills the boost gauge, although when it's in limp mode, it wont boost to more than 2psi. So as you can see, it cuts the boost considerably!

CJRamze

Proud Seat Owner
Jun 29, 2008
Caldicot, South Wales
Is this something thats likely to get worse?
I assume its down to the map however I doubt i'm going to get to 118mph again so it doesnt really bother me too much :-S

Ibiza 130 tdi

Black Magic
Jan 15, 2007
Somerset
Is this something thats likely to get worse?
I assume its down to the map however I doubt i'm going to get to 118mph again so it doesnt really bother me too much :-S

Shouldn't get worse. I never had limp mode on a standard turbo and saw best part of 130mph on it.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members