(Living with a...) Leon Supercopa

gary.cooper

Hi Everyone,

Having lived with my Supercopa for 4.5 months now, I thought I'd post some information on how I've got on with the car, it's positives and it's negatives. Maybe as a bit of help for anyone considering buying up a cheap new one with the release of the new Leon last weekend or a used one.

Having owned a Leon 1.6 S Mk1 prior to this and now having consistently owned Leon's since I passed my driving test, I think it shows I am a fan somewhat getting a VW for much less.

The Supercopa is certainly a good choice if you want a Leon with power, but not the 20-25mpg you get from the Cupra, but still more power than the other models.

Body

I also personally think the body kit on it and the twin rear exhausts either side of the bumper look much better than that of the Cupra and the body certainly makes the car look completely different to all other Leons and in a sense, rare!

I have noticed though that when cleaning it, all the curves and angles make the car extremely difficult to wash, primarily from the body kit and certainly adds 10 or 15 minutes over cleaning another car. Similarly, you get a huge amount of black muck on the inside of the door sills and it has to be cleaned off with a cloth.

Wheels

The aluminium alloy 18" BBS wheels are certainly exquisite and look fantastic! Some of the nicest alloys I've ever seen and if you accidentally ever manage to curb it, the nature of aluminium forms a film over the mark and it is hardly noticeable!

Tyres sometimes depend on dealer and when the car was manufactured, but watch out. My car has the run flat Bridgestone tyres ~ £175 each. The tyres are mind numbingly hard and ridiculously loud at high speeds, so when it comes to replacing them, I would probably go for the Michelin (non run flat).

Engine

The 170PS 2.0 TDI common rail engine is certainly torquey! No matter what gear you are in or what speed you are doing, there is always instant power! Similarly, the 6th gear ensures the engine is very quiet at high speeds. There is almost no turbo lag (unlike the 1.6TDI that VW make).

Typical RPM at 70mph is around 2,000rpm. 55mph is around 1,500rpm. The peak torque is around 1,700rpm which means there is always power when already moving.

When it comes to acceleration from 0 however, there's so much torque with only a cheap Electronic Diff, means there is a lot of axle tramp and a horrible shudder if you floor it with the ESP on.

If you turn the ESP off, this is reduced and you accelerate considerably faster! However, this is at the expense of your tyres.

Economy/Reliability

The car is already on 8,000 miles and the adaptive service system in the car also means for those that do long business miles, it is a good car so you don't have 'down days' or have to fiddle about with dealers and courtesy cars! I mainly do business miles and as a consequence, the car is saying it won't require a service until 20,000 miles! Similarly, the oil in that time is still on the max level of the dip strick, so all good in that sense.

The main disappointment, as with any car is the difference between what a manufacturer claims a car can reach in MPG compared to use in the real world.

Below are typical MPGs you will actually get (and this applied to all the 2.0TDI 170PS engines except the 4wd engine):

Around Town: 40 - 50 mpg
Dual Carriageway: 45 mpg
Motorway: 50 mpg
Combined: 45 mpg

Driving Carefully, I regularly experience (so it is possible):

Around Town: 50 mpg
Dual Carriageway (55mph): 60 mpg
Motorway (55 mph): 65 - 70 mpg
Combined: 58 mpg

At 70mph, you will only reach around 45 mpg on an A road due to the constant speed ups and slow downs each time a lorry overtakes and of course roundabouts. Interestingly, on motorways for the first 15 miles or so, you will get the 45 mpg as expected and it will stay very constant however, after this and rather miraculously, the MPG then begins to climb and will reach 52mpg. I'm not an expert, but there must be something programmed in the ECU to reduce fuel input after a set amount of time/distance at a constant RPM as it does suddenly rise - it isn't gradual.

For those interested in the ongoing debate over the value of 'V Power' fuels, I did do a fair trial of this on the same journeys in similar weather of normal diesel compared to the 'V Power' type diesel. There was no increase in mpg (you would expect 8% more from the 8% extra it costs over normal diesel), there was no increase in acceleration from 0 however, there was a little increase in acceleration at speed (ie accelerating when already at speed) however, this increase was barely noticeable and the 8% extra cost did not warrant it.

Interior/Gadgets

The interior and black and red stitched seats are extremely comfortable. I sometimes work very long days and in the old Leon (which was extremely comfortable anyway) I could last around 8 hours before feeling uncomfortable. In this new car, I can last around 11 hours before feeling uncomortable.

The adjustable lumbar support in both front seats certainly helps!

The chopped off steering wheel makes it very easy to get in and out of and the rear leg room has a huge increase over the old car! The addition of the comfort light in the rear, has also proved useful light in this frequently dark country. The increase in rear legroom however, has significantly reduced the size of the boot over the old car quite noticeably. The old car's boot was possibly too big but came in useful sometimes like going to the airport with a loaded car.

The electric heated and folding mirrors are very useful, but that combined with the coming home function does make you look like a bit of a c*** to any passers by. The headlight washers are kind of pointless really and just end up wasting a load of screenwash! I'm currently going through around a gallon every 8 weeks. Mainly, the washers just spray wash in one place on the headlights and then it trickles down the bumper, so I am considering removing the fuse to save me money and the wash fluid low light coming up all the time!

The dash is very clear and the dial controlled climate control looks much better than the digital system about 3 years ago.

I love having the mini sat-nav in the dash giving instructions, the sat nav is extremely quick to calculate routes (usually 2-3 seconds!) and the automatic re-route for traffic is absolutely fantastic! I went to Nottingham and it steered me round a traffic jam on the M1 turning off just as I could see the few mile long queue! It is also a very useful safety feature if you haven't got the sat nav running. If the sat nav isn't running, Sandie (as I call the lady in the sat nav) will quieten the stereo and let you know of a traffic jam that may be a few miles ahead so you, unlike other motorists, are prepared to slow down in advance - I'm amazed at how accurate the system is.

The MDI is useful however, being down in the centre console means that if you have a USB plugged in, you can't chuck anything else down there as it knocks the USB out of place. Similarly, the MDI seems to have trouble reading anything if the temperature in the car is below 5 degrees even if the USB has just been taken out of the house.

The DAB radio is good giving more choice, but they still need to boost the signals around the country as it gets annoying with the DAB cutting out every few minutes!

The worst part however, is the speakers. They are terrible! If you dare go above 14 on the volume all you get is distortion or a tinny bass sound and the door panels make a horrible vibrating sound. They are miles from the quality of the speakers in the old car (which were actually pretty good and very bassy and clear even at high volumes), so I would suggest at the first opportunity to get yourself a set of aftermarket speakers and an external amp to replace the rubbish that's in there. Maybe even a cheap subwoofer in the back. I had the curved Onyx subwoofer in my old car - really good and really reliable. The subwoofer, cables and amp were £100. I would say though that adding a power cable from the battery to the subwoofer may void any warranty so check first!

Overall

Good Points

• The car is good fun and has a lot of power
  • The car is very comfortable and the auto dimming rear view mirror, auto wipers and auto headlights are a god send!
  • Excellent mpg if you want speed but economy. Range on a tank is around 500-600 miles.
  • Plenty of room, plenty of gadgets and good value

Bad Points

• The Bridgestone tyres are very loud at 70 mph
  • The MPG figures stray significantly from what the manufacturer states
  • The speakers are terrible and need an improvement
  • The car needs more engineering than a cheap Electronic Diff to put its power down when accelerating from 0

I hope this helps anyone looking at a possible purchase! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Tron-19

Jan 4, 2013
I've had my Supercopa a few months now and would agree with you on most there, however have a look round here, Leon's with BTCC kits on are ten a penny ;)

My only gripes with this car are:
Speakers
Tyres (the Bridgestone are crap on anything other than dry roads, ill go another make when they wear out)
The way the the road shite ends up inside the door sills. Strange that it gets that far in.

Anyways mate, get yourself some LED DRL's and side light bulbs, they transform it. I had mine lowered just over a week ago too, looks a million times better as the thing looked like it was on stilts.

I have some plans for mine but can't go too nuts because of the warranty.

*edit*
Regarding the power, you know your opening up a can of worms now, the PD guys are gonna be along soon lol ;)

Last edited:

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
If you know anyone with Vag-com it might be worth getting the e diff setting checked, iirc it's adjustable from 1 to 3 strength wise.

gary.cooper

I've had my Supercopa a few months now and would agree with you on most there, however have a look round here, Leon's with BTCC kits on are ten a penny ;)

Speakers
Tyres (the Bridgestone are crap on anything other than dry roads, ill go another make when they wear out)
The way the the road shite ends up inside the door sills. Strange that it gets that far in.

Anyways mate, get yourself some LED DRL's and side light bulbs, they transform it. I had mine lowered just over a week ago too, looks a million times better as the thing looked like it was on stilts.

*edit*
Regarding the power, you know your opening up a can of worms now, the PD guys are gonna be along soon lol ;)

Yes! You are exactly right. In the wet the tyres lose grip instantly although it is good to slide as was my old Leon!

Also yes, the muck gets rights inside every door seal so you have to use a cloth to wipe the muck off. You also get it on the pillars between the doors.

gary.cooper

Speakers

*edit*

Yes! You are exactly right. In the wet the tyres lose grip instantly although it is good to slide as was my old Leon!

Also yes, the muck gets rights inside every door seal so you have to use a cloth to wipe the muck off. You also get it on the pillars between the doors.

Can you recommend any particular brand for the LEDs as some don't last very long at all!

As an additional note for any Leon's without the HID or Bi Xenon headlights, I fitted the Helligkeit kit to my old Leon. It was very easy to fit, very sturdy and in the 3 years I had it before I sold the car, they never had a fault.

gary.cooper

If you know anyone with Vag-com it might be worth getting the e diff setting checked, iirc it's adjustable from 1 to 3 strength wise.

Thanks Kazand.

I've got Vag-com and the cable so I may have a look myself. It definitely needs it! Is there also a way of changing the digital speed read-out to mph through Vag-com as it's not in the main MDF menu?

Tron-19

Jan 4, 2013
Yes mate you can have digital speed out in mph, check vag com section. You can also enable staging (needle sweep) also, which is what I want, and I also want the fog turn lights off.

Ill trawl back and get a link to the bulbs you need...

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
The Supercopa is certainly a good choice if you want a Leon with power, but not the 20-25mpg you get from the Cupra, but still more power than the other models.

So what your saying is your Supercopa has more power than a FR?

What you have got to remember is the supercopa is just a badge added to sell the last of the MK2's off, its essentially just a FR with a body kit added and some extras thrown in (its very well equipped)

I also personally think the body kit on it and the twin rear exhausts either side of the bumper look much better than that of the Cupra and the body certainly makes the car look completely different to all other Leons and in a sense, rare!

Different to other models?

It looks no different than

Leon Sport BTCC
media

Leon Cupra K1
seat-leon-cupra-k1-02.jpg

Leon Linea-R
Seat-Leon_Linea-R_Exterior-021.jpg

My biggest gripe is how they call it the Supercopa! A real Leon Supercopa looks like this...

200px-SEAT_race_car.jpg

Seat_Leon_Supercopa_Worthersee_2011_02.jpg

Last edited:

NhojBob

White Van Man
Mar 1, 2013
Manchester
silly name for a nice car!

my GF always tells people about the 'supercopa' and I cringe

I just say iv got a Leon, usually get asked 'The FR?' Reply 'Yeah with the BTCC kit'

Bridgestones are shite tyres. iv got them on the back axle still, and the thing is soooooo skippy in the twisty bits it isnt true! got some average budgety things on the front axle and theyre fine.

LED sidelights: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330866430595?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

yes it looks like a monster truck as standard, i need to get sportlines asap

why the F did they put the sat nav near the gearstick? i dont wanna look down there for the route!

Love mine overall though :D

gary.cooper

AndrewJB

Given that the supercopa is part of the FR range anyway, I don't really need to go into detail as you know therr are plenty of other engine choices to get confused with!

The latest model is the best looking of all of them.

As a passing comment, I have driven a skoda with the 1.6 TDI and it is terrible! No power whatsoever. And the gearbox is so clunky!

Has the issue of the speakers been raised before? They truly are the cheapest speakers you could think of.

Tron-19

Jan 4, 2013
Lol well it just means supercup that's all, no different to other marques selling a certain model with a motorsport name. It's never really gonna look like a race car for the road is it realistically?

The FR Supercopa is... An FR ;) but a well specced nice looking one. Agreed they are certainly not a rare looking car, just a fairly rare edition.

Tron-19

Jan 4, 2013
Just transfer all your iTunes music onto a card and insert. No iPod in car, entire library on tap ;)

t121anf

May 14, 2004
Just transfer all your iTunes music onto a card and insert. No iPod in car, entire library on tap ;)

Can you get 160GB+ SD cards yet? ;)

I just get round to trying an SD card over our lasses iPod Nano. Do they function the same? Playlists, albums etc? Get track names or is it ID3 data?

Danny-

Jan 2, 2013
Peterborough, Uk
I think the Op meant the rear of the car is differant the Cupra K1 has a single cente rexhaust the "Supercopa" has a Twin Output. Thats the differance i think he was refering too.

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Supercopa Rear
Seat-Leon-FR-Supercopa-7.jpg

Pre-Facelift Sport with BTCC kit and yes they where sold like this.. although alot of people have fitted since aswell
car03.jpg

I see no difference?

God i really sound like a **** now haha was just trying to point out that there's nothing rare about a Leon with a BTCC/Aero/Linea R/K1/Supercopa kit fitted

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.