Losing boost power

Talltrees2000

Sep 11, 2017
Hi guys,

I've actually had my Mk1 LCR for a few years now and used to be on this forum. Only just experienced my first real problem with the car and am hoping that a more knowledgeable Mk1 owner can help out with this dilemma!

I was driving up the M1 at around 80mph in 6th gear. I normally love the feel of boost when you increase to 4000rpm and it kicks in, however, this time as soon as it reached 4,000rpm the boost loses all power and I felt a judder. I then tried the same thing in lower gears and the same thing happened, losing boost as soon as it gets to 4,000rpm. If I accelerate over 4,000rpm at a gradual rate, the car doesn't judder but it still doesn't fell like it's delivering full boost.

I took it to a garage, they plugged it into diagnostics but no fault came up, they checked pipes and from what they could tell there are no cracks or a boost leak. What they did find was a leaking water pump, which I understand needs replacing but wouldn't think that it affects boost?

The car still drives smoothly in all gears up until you take the revs past 4000rpm. It also idles fine at stand still, and when you rev the engine past 4,000rpm there's no misfire.

Could it be the spark plus/coil pack? If not, what else could it possibly be causing the boost problem?

I'm already looking at a costly replacement for timing belt and water pump! Any help of pearls of wisdom would be very much appreciated!

Thanks.

Last edited:

m4nny

Sep 30, 2017
UK
Welcome to the forum.

Once I've got enough posts, I'll send a link that explains how turbos work and maybe it might help you understand the issue your cars having. One thing to do is not to start taking everything apart and do a root cause analysis.

You can YouTube how a tdi vnt turbo works.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.