Mot failure

sambo19

sambo
Oct 20, 2006
worcester
my car failed its mot today... apparently some new law has come in recently that if your exhaust is too loud it will be classed as an mot failure, anyone know about this??

so now i have to go find a standard backbox to get it through the mot and i was told i can change it back once its passed?!!?

sambo19

sambo
Oct 20, 2006
worcester
hmmm they must be now, iv took it there the last few years and theyve been really good, lettin me off on some things, they mustve had a good b*llocking from someone!!

Dolly_Gti

G60 spooling up.
Aug 15, 2006
china town
assess subjectively the effectiveness of the silencer in reducing exhaust noise to a level considered to be average for the vehicle. Note: The level of exhaust noise should be assessed at all engine speeds required for the exhaust emissions check

b. a silencer in such condition, or of such a type, that the noise emitted from the vehicle is clearly unreasonably above the level expected from a similar vehicle with a standard silencer in average condition.

The first bit is what is too be checked, the second bit is what is a Fail reason. bit again very picky and unlucky for you mate.

skeeno

skinflint
Mar 23, 2009
glossop
mine failed on the wrong colour bulb lmao sure they have better things to do money cant be that tight and to top it off 15 quid to fit a new one told them i would bring it back they said if i take it away they would have to charge a retest fee so i walked to shop bought a bulb put it in job done 2.50 bargain :cartman:

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
How loud is the exhaust? Must be bad..

My Mazda's got a fairly loud can on it & the MOT place said "that exhaust sounds good!"

Dolly_Gti

G60 spooling up.
Aug 15, 2006
china town
if you take your car away youve got 1 working day to bring it back and there is no fee. up to 10 working days gets you a partial retest and maximum of half test fee. only one retest per test so if it fails the first retest you have to get a full test again.

anything after 10 working days and its full test full price. if it was me id of passed the exhaust and probably stuck a bulb in the other one or stuck a pass and advise to cover my ass.

Mr Roboto

Domo Arigato
Mar 14, 2005
Sussex
my car failed its mot today... apparently some new law has come in recently that if your exhaust is too loud it will be classed as an mot failure, anyone know about this??

so now i have to go find a standard backbox to get it through the mot and i was told i can change it back once its passed?!!?

I'm not saying it about your car mate.

But some of these people have ridiculously noisy exhausts now days, I mean whats the point :rolleyes:

You are trying to have a nice walk around town and some kid goes roaring pass with a baked bean can stuck on the end of his car making a neusense :ban:

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
some garages can be right idiots, and also con artists, they failed my mates car on brakes (that he changed 4weeks before that)
went to my uncles garage and brakes were fine, so i went back with him, they wouldn't let him check the brakes on the machine, and wouldn't let us watch, so we said we was going to ring VOSA and file a complaint, they retested it for free and said the machine wasn't calibrated? what an excuse lol

Dolly_Gti

G60 spooling up.
Aug 15, 2006
china town
thats abit unfair, suppose you need to judge it on apperances, i like to think i know who id trust and who i wouldnt pretty quickly after meeting them. im sure im not always right but there you go.

i thinking about getting and starting my own place after 6 years with bmw and id be largely relying on trust, word of mouth ect if i do go down that route.

but back to topic, i wouldnt fail a loud exhaust unless it was japanese and taking the piss lol

MAC MAC

Feb 28, 2009
DURHAM
SOME MECHANICS ARE ARITE MATE . LIKE ME I GOT THE SACK FROM A FAST FIT PLACE COS I WOULDNT RIP CUSTOMERS OFF HOW MADE IS THAT:doh:

orangemuffin

i love you all.......
Sep 24, 2008
yesterday
When i had my exhaust done i was asked what noise i wanted it to make and the did ones that would be classed as illegal....however they are a MOT centre to so i cant see them fitting a full system and they failing the same car on the noise.

It seems odd. Some testers can be very picky.

sambo19

sambo
Oct 20, 2006
worcester
i went back with my standard exhaust back on and got it through and this bloke kept telling me that they had introduced a new law lke 2-3months ago about the noise of exhausts, and that the police are about to have big crack down on it. wether its true or not i dont know but he seems to be the only guy so far that seems to know about it!! roll on next mot for some new laws!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members