New gearbox!

Jan 30, 2024
Oxford
Hey! I'm a new Cupra owner - albeit a company car, and I was so pleased with the car. That was until last week when it went into limp mode on motorway and dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree. Also, had a horrible grinding noise coming from the engine.
Errors popped up - Airbag Error
Drive System Error
Gearbox Error

VW Assist came out and basically said that car is knackered, had the following codes: P0867 and P2884. Car was recovered to dealership and I have been given a hire car. All good. However, now the dealership are saying that it needs a new gearbox. I find this amazing in a car that I got in November, it's done 3,000miles. I drive a lot for work.

Has anyone experienced this? If it wasn't a company car I would be telling them I don't want it back, but I think I'm stuck with it for 3 years!! I'm gutted to be honest.

Jan 30, 2024
Oxford
I do mostly motorways, but some London driving. Its the hybrid model, V2. I do about 300- 500 miles a week. It's annoying, as the car seemed quite good up until that point. No issues at all.

Cupra Oxford, have been very good with giving me updates and they sorted the hire car out really quickly. My previous car was a Mercedes, and I can tell you their service department is shocking!

Just interested to know if anyone has experienced this in such a new car.... Not good!

LetsForment

Nov 28, 2022
South East England
Definitely something off there. Iirc, there are a few other posts on the forum about having to return cars due to gearbox issues as well, so you are definitely not the first.

Going to be honest, I don't think 40/50 mile journeys on the motorway should be causing major stress to the running gear on these cars.

Even with a somewhat hectic driving style the car shouldn't be unpacking itself like this.

Hope you get through this in as easy and speedy fashion as possible.

Reactions: emmasmith729
Jan 30, 2024
Oxford
Mine is a plug in hybrid.

UPDATE: Had a new gearbox fitted last week. Didn't drive it for 2 days as I was away. Drove it this morning and now has Electric drive not working correctly. Cupra assist have come out and it now has a problem with the PTC heater. This car is doing my head in to say the least, not sure I would recommend buying one to anyone, I'm so glad it's just a company car.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members