GPS mapping update

Feb 15, 2024
Hello,

I wanted to know how to update my GPS maps?
Should I download it onto a USB key from the Cupra website?
I was never able to update the GPS mapping on my old Seat Leon 4.
There was a procedure to download the maps to a USB key but the car never wanted to update.
I called Seat technical support and after several exchanges they asked me to take the car to a garage.
I went to a dealership and was told that I had to use Waze (no comment).
I left my vehicle at this same dealership for a day for this update.
In the evening when returning to my vehicle, the receptionist told me that he had not been able to do the update.
I find it totally abnormal that dealerships do not know their own technologies, with incompetent technical support.

Tell

Staff member
I have put a thread up here. It applies to all Mib3s 2020-24 ish

Connect services can be used if you are in contract. First year it's free, after that you subscribe. Prices on the Seat site.

For free you can do the update twice a year. That's in the link.

The art is to find the newest maps, that is in the link. Seat and Skoda often drag their feet in publishing the maps. VW don't. The maps are interchangeable, as in identical. So they get sniffed out and published. At the minute the Seat maps off-line are for June, you can do better using the link and have the November link. I have given details of how to find them yourself if not listed. At the minute we have 2024 maps.

Alternatively, you may elect to pay for connect services. Dealers never did map upgrades for mib2 for free which is probably why they didn't do it when asked.

Reactions: Karbonfaiba
Nov 18, 2021
Get the file from VW site and choose Golf 8, discover pro multimedia system.

Are the same as the one's for Leon. Once downloaded, use 7zip and extract to a usb, formatted as exFat. Insert the USB into one of the front usb connectors, and meanwhile you use the car the maps will be updated in the background.

That's how many of us have done it .

Regards

Enviado desde mi Redmi Note 9 Pro mediante Tapatalk

Tell

Staff member
& obviously if using a Mac use CleanMyDrive on the drive else it won't work. Same as for mib2 high (a good polish of the files if using a Mac before you put it in). Mib2 standard was more forgiving with Mac trash. That's in the text. Other issues are usb-c adaptors that don't connect all the pins. Again if the laptop has usb-c then you know the connection is good. If not it's suggested a reversible usb pen, usb-a / usb-c. Some people like to cut corners and use what they have which is fine if they are sure that the adaptor is good, else you could wait a long time for the update 😉.

The links provided are to the VW file servers. It's those that get found way before publication. Whilst the likes of Seat and Skoda are slow to put them up. VW have only recently put up the November release whilst we had them way before November. They get found by probing the servers. So we know the release. It's like library books come in but the tab for the stamp hasn't been put inside yet. We get tired of waiting.

• Haha
Reactions: Karbonfaiba

Karbonfaiba

Jul 9, 2023
Hampshire, UK
I used Tell's helpful links to get my Maps updated to 23.6 (would have been left on 21.11 otherwise). Easy but lengthy process.

Drove my usual routes to see if anything had been improved with the ACC and unfortunately it still brakes me to 30mph on a 40mph road in the same spots as before.

No TSR, just incorrect limit data on the map that overrides the posted limits for a few metres. It's dumb and I wish it wouldn't bother.

At least I didn't pay for the subscription! I'll await the November update and test again.

Reactions: Tell

Tell

Staff member
What am I doing wrong ? The car seems to update it's maps on its own.
That's because you will have either the free one year service contract or taken out a renewal or some other deal when you bought it. The difference with Seat mib3 over mib 2:

- connect services if in contract, mib3 only
- free map updates twice a year if not via the download

Previously the last one on mib2 wasn't suppose to be available although it could be done via side stepping the paid mapcare service. Mapcare wasnt offered in the UK on mib2. Seat got into line with VW and Skoda with mib3, scrapped mapcare so you can do it offline free twice a year or cough up and have paid monthly updates.

Reactions: LetsForment

Tell

Staff member
I used Tell's helpful links to get my Maps updated to 23.6 (would have been left on 21.11 otherwise). Easy but lengthy process.

Drove my usual routes to see if anything had been improved with the ACC and unfortunately it still brakes me to 30mph on a 40mph road in the same spots as before.

No TSR, just incorrect limit data on the map that overrides the posted limits for a few metres. It's dumb and I wish it wouldn't bother.

At least I didn't pay for the subscription! I'll await the November update and test again.
On the road speeds if you know road segments that are wrong you can get an account with Here Maps and put an edit in. You have to keep going back ever two weeks or so for a bit to see whether they have been accepted and not changed back. If they stay after a month, then it's likely they will get moved onto the production database. Herewego gives an early view of the edits. Probably six months to get them into issue. The road speeds are taken from statutory instruments but they could take user ones.

It's one of these things you can either moan about or try to do something about

Reactions: fstok

dashnine

Oct 31, 2012
Warwick, UK

I used the Here link to check a couple of place where my car drops to 30mph on a 40mph road (where there are signs not visible to TSR - some roads do have TSR visible signs that it does see and action), the only thing I can think is that it seems to think I'm on the 30mph side road when I'm just passing by the end of the road.

Added to that, it only happens in one direction - which is closest to the 30mph road which makes me think I'll have to live with it - or if the roads wide enough, drive nearer the middle of the road!

Reactions: fstok
Feb 15, 2024
Thank you all for this information.
I will try to update following your advice, hoping to succeed because on my old Seat Leon 4, it never worked despite calls to technical support or to a Seat garage.
I keep you informed

Reactions: Tell

Tell

Staff member
I used the Here link to check a couple of place where my car drops to 30mph on a 40mph road (where there are signs not visible to TSR - some roads do have TSR visible signs that it does see and action), the only thing I can think is that it seems to think I'm on the 30mph side road when I'm just passing by the end of the road.

Added to that, it only happens in one direction - which is closest to the 30mph road which makes me think I'll have to live with it - or if the roads wide enough, drive nearer the middle of the road!
My TSR does spot the new 20mph road signs they put up over night on Welsh side roads. So does actually see the signs and get the dong for speeding. Unavoidable consequence of those signs being placed too close to junctions just inside the new limit. I don't drive with cruise control on, just use the speed warnings. They will clamp down on people breaking the new 20mph speed limits in Wales. Currently anarchy on Welsh roads that even aren't 20mph. When the tourists arrive 🤣.

I do get a dramatic speed drop indicated close to home which isn't on the maps which I haven't been able to explain. May be the processing of the maps by a third party does introduce some variability that isn't in the source maps. The speed is suppose to be by road segment not by area transposed onto it. If you go off map, an off-road speed may apply where I've thought the one odd behaviour comes from. It was OK once then after a map update wasn't and has stayed like it. Normal motoring you'd be away and left the area but since its on a turning close to home repeats.

Feb 15, 2024
OK until the end of the warranty?
Here are my versions.
23.12 is December 2023?

Attachments

• 20240218_111327.jpg
    20240218_111327.jpg
    617 KB · Views: 74
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.