New Ibiza - USB option for radio. Can i add it myself ?

andy15star

Apr 17, 2005
Durham
Hello,

Just picked up my new Ibiza, what a car ! - love it !. Just a little question though. When you buy a new Ibiza you can get the factory to install USB functionality to the radio, where you can put your music on a memory stick and play it from there. Just saves burning to CD each time, especially if your music tastes change as often as mine do !!

Anyway, i'm assuming it's the same radio on all the Ibiza's regardless of whether you have the USB facility or not. I'm guessing that when you ask for the USB option that they simply connect a lead from the back of the radio before delivery.

So....my question is, is it simply a matter of slipping the radio out and plugging in a USB cable to the back of the radio for me to get this USB functionality ?, if this is the case then i can easily do that myself.

One other question, how does the radio come out ?? - i wasn't given any forks with the radio to ease it out ?

Best Regards,
Andy

Last edited:

bjh1112

I Pod lead

I spoke to SEAT UK today who told me they are currently testing an I Pod lead for fitting to the radio. It should be released very soon. Hopefully instructions will be given on how to take the radio out with it.

andy15star

Apr 17, 2005
Durham
Hi bhj, it's a USB lead i'm wanting as i don't have an ipod. Does this mean they will also be bringing out a cable whereby i can stick my USB stick into the end of it ? (same principle as the ipod connector anyway, just a different connector) ?

Regards,
Andy

bjh1112

USB / I Pod

Hi Andy,

I'm sure a lead will be available, I've pre ordered an I Pod lead but if I hear anything I'll let you know - I would prefer a USB lead myself. I should of ordered one with the car. Will try and find out about the radio removal as well.

Keep an eye on this site too 2008 ibiza (dot) com
Regards

Barry

andy15star

Apr 17, 2005
Durham
Ah cheers Barry, that's really good of you. Yeah, i'm desperate to get the radio working with a USB stick and i cannot imagine it being all that difficult. I mean if you can get them fitted for £93 before you buy the car, and it's the very same radio that i have, then a cable/lead must be available to fit aftersales.

I had a quick look at what is keeping the radio in, and it seems to be some kind of hex screw (alan key), so once i can get my hands on that tool then it should be very easy to fit.

I know my Blaupunkt radio has a mini USB on the back of it so it's a simple matter of Mini USB to Female USB cable and it works great with the USB stick.

I'm sick of burning CD's for it (because my tastes change so often!!!), it would so much easier to be able to use a 8gb USB stick with it and add/delete songs that way !

Oh well i'll keep watching this thread for any more info, thanks for the help Barry !

Regards,
Andy

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2007
Newark
Why don't you just buy a cheep mp3 player and a £2 Aux lead from tesco and use the built in Aux socket that the car already has, less fuss already in the car.

andy15star

Apr 17, 2005
Durham
Simple reason ! - i want the songs etc to appear on the radio panel, so i can scroll to them without having to faff on feeling round for an mp3 player and its small display !

Best Regards,
Andy

andy15star

Apr 17, 2005
Durham
That's what i was thinking. But i want to know what connections are on the back of the radio without having to take it out. They use some kind of weird screws !. If i knew that the back of the radio had a standard USB socket then i would make the effort to get the tool to take the radio out and fit the cable myself. But it's just finding out what the back of the radio looks like, no one seems to know !

Regards,
Andrew

andy15star

Apr 17, 2005
Durham
That's possibly true, these cables must be available if they can put them in new cars, lets hope they start selling them or we can get hold of them in the non too distant future from other outlets (fleabay, halfords etc). It cannot be too difficult !

Regards,
Andy

Nov 6, 2007
Newark
here you go

IMG_0238.jpg

andy15star

Apr 17, 2005
Durham
Hi Canonman, it was really the back i needed to see, to see if i could add the USB option easily myself. But that picture does shed light on the fact i'm going to need some kind of weird screwdriver to take those screws out !!! - what kind of tool would that take ?. Also, was the fascia easy enough to prise off and put back on ?

Any pics of the back panel ?. Thanks for taking the trouble to take the picture, much appreciated!.

Best Regards,
Andy

andy15star

Apr 17, 2005
Durham
Yeah it does look like that, i'm still a little reluctant to take it out until i know for sure the job can easily be done. Wouldn't care, the amount of car radios i have taken out and installed over the years, but i don't fancy tampering with this one for nothing until i know what the score is on the back of it !

By the way, does anyone know how i would contact Seat (by email) with regard to this USB issue ??

Best Regards,
Andy

IMG SEAT

Matthew @ IMG SEAT
There is no USB plug in the back of the unit. It is the same connector that cd changers use. To connect an aftermarket i-pod/usb connector you need a special kit. At the moment none of them are compatible with the new head unit in the ibiza because it has to be programmed in using the 5051b machines which are not doing what it is supposed to. We have been trying since October to get the denison 100 i-pod connector working with the new Ibiza with no success (The i-pod connection kit can not be ordered at the moment until SEAT get it workng) I will keep you updated if we have any success.

andy15star

Apr 17, 2005
Durham
Cheers Matthew, so does this mean that you cannot even get the USB/Ipod option with a brand new car ?. It does give you the option on the "spec my seat" site.

Is it likely that in the none too distant future a USB option will become available for the new Ibiza (after sales) ?

(Living in hope !!)

Regards,
Andrew

IMG SEAT

Matthew @ IMG SEAT
The factory fit USB works fine (except that you need an additional SEAT only cradle to use an i-pod)

For cars not fitted with the factory combined usb/ipod connection, then an aftermarket kit is required to use an i-pod. This aftermarket kit is what is casing problems at the moment. I am not aware of any aftermarket USB connection kit (only the i-pod one)

Hope this makes sense and is of help.

andy15star

Apr 17, 2005
Durham
Am i being too obvious when i say could they not use the factory fitted cable for after market fitting ?, especially if the factory one works, or is that too sensible ?

As for the USB side of things, am i right in thinking there is no technical issues there other than the fact no one has made an after market cable for the USB ?

Regards,
Andy

Last edited:

WildChild88

Aug 30, 2008
Doncaster
There are plenty of aftermarket head units you can fit which have the USB functionality! Im sure they'll be a fascia so you can fit them properly?!

Might be easiest way, and more likely better quality than the standard Seat unit

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise