New Turbo Really Loud Turbo Noise

paulr26

I recently blew my turbo, infact it snapped in two :). Anyway had a new one fitted with new clutch and changed the CAT.

I now have the usual turbo spin up. At 2500 revs and above I hear a really loud noise like the turbo is screeming. The noise goes after about 3500 and also if i lift off a bit.

Anybody know what this could be.

Triple D

Yep i was the same when i had my new hybrid turbo fitted on my ibiza fr. Aparently, all it is is the turbo sucking the air in, you will also notice it more now because you have the new cat aswell. If it is a sports cat then it will be louder because it is less restrictive. If it is just a new standard cat it could be because it is new and kind of like the sport cat, less restrictive.

paulr26

It is a standard turbo and CAT.

trouble is that after about 100 miles driving the turbo starts to shutdown I have intermitant power between 2500 and 3000 revs.

When the noise happens you loose power. Does anyone think it could be a pipe? and which should I check?

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
it sure doesn't sound right (in either instance)

if it didn't do it before, it shouldn't do it now.

Was it a warrantee replacement?

paulr26

It has done 66000 miles so not warrantee job.

May take it to SEAT Dealer to check over. Another garage fit the turbo not 100% sure now they have done decent job.

paulr26

funny you say that. I did check the turbo pipe connector at the bottom of the engine near the front. It looks completly different to how it did before.

The other turbo had a clip around the pipe, the new one has all sorts of gunk around it and no clip. Also pipe looks thicker.

I think maybe only option is get it back to SEAT Dealer. I know they are expensive but they know the car.

One good thing. I haven't paid the other garage for the turbo yet :)

prc

Sooty Meister
paulr26 said:
funny you say that. I did check the turbo pipe connector at the bottom of the engine near the front. It looks completly different to how it did before.

The other turbo had a clip around the pipe, the new one has all sorts of gunk around it and no clip. Also pipe looks thicker.

I think maybe only option is get it back to SEAT Dealer. I know they are expensive but they know the car.

One good thing. I haven't paid the other garage for the turbo yet :)

at the pipes on the TDI should have the clip.If all the pipes are OK (doesn't sound like it), it might be one of the vacuum lines to the VNT actuator arm.

paulr26

Will have it down the dealers on thursday. Thanks for everyones advice :)

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise