NEWBEE- Goodbye Astra VXR... Hello Leon FR 170!!!

hedgehog-harvey

Mar 7, 2010
Hi guys

Got my Leon FR 170 on Friday, and lovin every minute of it. Will miss my previous Astra VXR but with a new born baby and starting to do alot of traveling this is my ideal car.

Shes a 2007, in red with 28000 on the clock - 1 previous owner.

leon1.jpg

Got quite alot on it,

Full BTCC kit with exaust and 18" wheels.
Sunroof
Bluetooth
Convenance Pack
Winter Pack
Arm Rest
Factory fitted iPod connection under seat.

Got a few questions,

* How easy is it to fit sat nav and is it expensive
* I have the factory fitted iPod connection, but the previous owner didnt leave the cable - how much and where can I get one from?

Regards

Richard

RobH

Nov 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Hi welcome to the site mate, i reckon you could get the ipod cable from ebay failing that a stealer.

As for sat nav theirs a guy on Mk5golfgti.co.uk that does the all singing all dancing rns510 for around £500 and if your in yorkshire i think he'll fit it for free the only downside is it will have the VW start up screen.

Link http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,9605.0.html id dont know if you can view it though unless you register.

hope that helps ;).

Mr Cellotape

AKA Mr Ribbed
May 9, 2006
Warwickshire once.
The ipod is supposed to slot straight into the dock under the seat.

You can get extension cables, will cost you roughly £40 quid from america inc' postage.

PS The extension cables on ebay tend not to allow music to pass from the IPOD to the car. You may also need a charging module which you can also get for aboout £10 of ebay.

jrsmooth

Jan 6, 2009
Derby(ish)
As said above, Seat did not supply a cable for this iPod dock. If you get a satnav, the new ones allow you to fit the Media Control thingy, which is far superior to what you have now.

Oh, and get the black cupra grill and the mirror caps, IMO they look the dogs bits on red leons!

hedgehog-harvey

Mar 7, 2010
thanks guys, after a little bit of fiddling about, i managed to get the iphone in :)

think a cable will make it easier.

loving the car, fuel econ is 200% better so far than the astra

like the looks of the vw RNS510, better save my pennies

is the RNS510 the same as the MFD3?

Last edited:

jrsmooth

Jan 6, 2009
Derby(ish)
thanks guys, after a little bit of fiddling about, i managed to get the iphone in :)

think a cable will make it easier.

loving the car, fuel econ is 200% better so far than the astra

like the looks of the vw RNS510, better save my pennies

is the RNS510 the same as the MFD3?

Yeh it is a pain in the arse with the iPhone. Have a look at this thread, its how I got round it without forking out for the satnav.

MDI is the new iPod "Dock" for the SatNav, basically allows the iPod to be accessed through the headset as NickP has kindly put up some pictures of!

Nice motor by the way!

hedgehog-harvey

Mar 7, 2010
thanks for your help guys... better save those pennies.

any other nice little mods, also dumb question, does my exaust add any bhp?

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
For £600 www.oemretrofits.co.uk will supply and fit the Seat MFD3 only difference between the VW and SeAT version other than the splash screen saying SEAT instead of VW is the SEAT version does not have the SD card slot. But is pretty much plug and play on the Pre FL Leon.

Do you find the 170 FR a real step down in terms of power from the VXR?

2zeroalpha

Chippin at the chalkface
Feb 12, 2008
Yorkshire
No, exhaust won't add anything, purly cosmetic. However if you want extra bhp, yours will tune up to around 200 (although chances are it's above the quoted 170 already) and you won't miss your vxr much at that point. Thumpingly large amounts of torque!!
Welcome to the VAG stable mate.

hedgehog-harvey

Mar 7, 2010
thanks think ill go for a seat mdf3 unit, are they new fitted at that price on oemretro...

vxr power.. well motorways the astra and the leon are about the same

giving it beans round and about. the astra when it got grip was quick, and the leon isnt as much.

my vxr was stage one tuned to 269bhp.

save my money for the satnav for a while and then ill start looking into remap possibilites for the leon

lovin it at the moment

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
thanks think ill go for a seat mdf3 unit, are they new fitted at that price on oemretro...

vxr power.. well motorways the astra and the leon are about the same

giving it beans round and about. the astra when it got grip was quick, and the leon isnt as much.

my vxr was stage one tuned to 269bhp.

save my money for the satnav for a while and then ill start looking into remap possibilites for the leon

lovin it at the moment

Nope the units are reconditioned with 3 months warranty as are all the £500-600 units new you are looking 1-1.2K.

The Leon has the torque so that helps balance things out slightly and your VXR was 100Bhp more powerful. Don't find people try it on in the Leon either pretty much get left alone to pootle along :D

joolsvern

The biggest MEMBER here
Jun 22, 2009
Doncaster
Don't find people try it on in the Leon either pretty much get left alone to pootle along :D

Except golf drivers, not sure if its me but I'm always getting arse kissed by TDI golf's, I usually open the window, spark up a fag and slow down.

wjohnson

Dec 17, 2008
I blame it on that new advert. It's cause the Leon is "just like a golf". But why have something like a golf when we could get a golf? Thats cas we actually have some common sense and like all the features under the sun for a fraction of the price of a golf :D

So if you've spent your £20+k on a 1.6TDI Eco Golf and uve got the bluetooth and the added bits more is better so surely it should be able to trash a leon with a shed load of power and the same equipment that actually cost a hell of a lot less.

Last edited: