Aug 31, 2023
Hello all thought I’d post here to see if anyone is able to help me out I was driving the car the other day then randomly 3 beeps happened while this was happening the power steering fully went no it’s just really heavy steering I have a few fault codes showing up on vcds I believe the last one is due to having the battery disconnected correct me if I’m wrong I’ve tried clearing the codes and still the first error is still there any ideas please let me know thanks

01309 -
Power Steering Control Module (J500)
008 Implausible Signal

00446 - Function Limitation due to Under-Voltage
002 - Lower Limit Exceeded - Intermittent

00668 - Supply Voltage Terminal 30
002 - Lower Limit Exceeded - Intermittent

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Could be a duff battery or alternator? Have you checked the voltage?

I lost power steering on my old Ibiza when the battery were bad, in fact I got the entire car dirt cheap because the battery was bad and caused all sorts of weird issues for the previous owner.

Aug 31, 2023
Could be a duff battery or alternator? Have you checked the voltage?

I lost power steering on my old Ibiza when the battery were bad, in fact I got the entire car dirt cheap because the battery was bad and caused all sorts of weird issues for the previous owner.
This is what I was thinking I’ve checked the battery with a multi meter readings are fine but my alternator has been making a lot of squealing sounds correct me if I’m wrong but it would be my alternator that would be bad not the battery right as when the car is running it’s only the alternator that is powering the steering rack etc?

Aug 31, 2023
Possibly, if the alternator is clearly faulty it's the first thing to replace.
I don’t know if it is faulty cause I can see from the multi meter it’s charging the battery it’s just it makes a really bad squealing sound

Aug 31, 2023
Are you sure the fan belt is not loose thus causing the squealing sound by slipping when the alternator is under a heavy load?
I did think that when it first happened so I changed the belt to a new one isn’t the belt if anyone has any other ideas please tell me

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
The auxiliary belt has a tensioner that can fail, also there's a clutch pulley on the alternator, which can fail and make noises.

You'll get a new clutch pulley on a new alternator.

Aug 31, 2023
Just thought I’d give a update on this if anyone will come across it some day I ended up changing the steering rack my self got a 2nd hand one off a VW eros same part number so got it for £29 working all fine now just need tracking done didn’t have to do any coding or flashing 😵💫

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.