Noises from my new Formentor?

Mar 3, 2023
First post, hi everyone. đź‘‹
So i had my formentor v1 1.5dsg last week, 2021 with only 12k miles. Pleased on the whole, except for a few infotainment niggles which appears to be normal…

However, i have two strange noises. One is when im braking at slow speeds, example pulling off my drive controlling the car purely on the brake pedal, i can hear the rear brakes scraping almost sound like theres no pad? Anyone else? And will a pad change fix this? Drives me mad.

Also, from the rear left (nearside, uk) is a real faint knocking noise upon uneven road surface. Its faint, but present. Sounds like something tapping in the spare wheel well but definately isnt, and doesnt always occur when i hit say a pothole which makes me think may not be mechanical? Open to auggestions.

Thanks!

Tmat

Jan 26, 2023
Hi. There's a thread about brake noises and also mentioned on other threads to do with things going wrong...if you search brake noise it should bring them up. Personally I had a very loud whoooooo noise when braking at low speed and this was a few days after collecting the car. It hasn't happened for a while now...I've had it for 6 weeks now from new.

If none of the others have had similar on the other threads hope where you bought it will be able to fix these issues for you.

Mar 3, 2023
Yeah ill do a search now. Problem is, i live 160m away from where i got it! I have no issue throwing some new pads in, its this tapping im more annoyed with. Thanks for the reply

Mar 13, 2023
Hello, Zak_92.
I’m driving Formentor 1.5 DSG and have the same claims as you- noise from rear brakes and some knocking noise from rear while driving on not ideal road surface.
My car is more then a 1 year old and noise from rear brakes was form the first days and do not gone till today. Vary annoying. I have not changed rear brake pads yet, only 10 000 km driven.

second thing is the same annoying knocking noise from rear. Strange that time to time it stops for 1 or 2 weeks, that starts again and can be active for a month or more.
Cupra local dealer cannot find the solution also. I have tried to remove anything from the trunk, but this doesn’t helped:(

andylong

Jan 21, 2021
Noisy brakes are pads in my experience, the rears see less use than fronts and can get grimy. It would be my first look

Mar 13, 2023
Noisy brakes are pads in my experience, the rears see less use than fronts and can get grimy. It would be my first look

interesting thing that rear brake noise comes from the first day after I get my Formentor from the dealer in January 2022.
I will try to apply some brake grease on the brake pads fitting places, will look how it be after.

Mar 3, 2023
Took mine to main dealer yesterday.
Software update, brake inspection and this rattle being looked at on April 3rd.
Service manager agreed its not meant to do that, brakes have plenty of life in them so see what they come up with

Mar 20, 2023
First post, hi everyone. đź‘‹
So i had my formentor v1 1.5dsg last week, 2021 with only 12k miles. Pleased on the whole, except for a few infotainment niggles which appears to be normal…

However, i have two strange noises. One is when im braking at slow speeds, example pulling off my drive controlling the car purely on the brake pedal, i can hear the rear brakes scraping almost sound like theres no pad? Anyone else? And will a pad change fix this? Drives me mad.

Also, from the rear left (nearside, uk) is a real faint knocking noise upon uneven road surface. Its faint, but present. Sounds like something tapping in the spare wheel well but definately isnt, and doesnt always occur when i hit say a pothole which makes me think may not be mechanical? Open to auggestions.

Thanks!
I have the exact same noise. I have had the car since brand new which was April 22 and just before Christmas it started to make a scraping noise on the back breaks when i break and that is now all the time. 4 times it has been back to the dealership and they tell me it is normal but my argument is why has this not happened since I took delivery of the vehicle. I have spoken to other people i have seen when i have been at the dealership with the same car and when asked about their beaks they have told me theirs dont make that noise??

We are also experiencing a knocking noise but usually from driver side (right handside) when turning or going around corner, roundabout etc

Reactions: Shackattack
Mar 27, 2023
So I’m having the same issue with the noisy brakes and I’m being told that it’s down to poor material of the brakes fitted at the factory.

I’m going to change the front pads to see if this helps can any let me know if they have done this and it’s resolved the matter, or will I need to both front and rear?

andylong

Jan 21, 2021
Brake pads often require some bedding in, it depends on the pad and requires some hard stops to heat the pads and transfer some pad material to the disc. however I'd be surprised if oem pads need this but who knows

pkaps

vz310
May 10, 2022
Not any sound from brakes is normal, especially when the car is new. There is no breaking time for pads, they should work just perfect from day 1 without any noises, especially if they are factory fitted. If you have any strange sounds you should take it to the dealer or to whomever fitted the pads if not new. Obviously there is an issue with the quality of the pads, their fitment, their compatibility if aftermarket or the braking system.

Reactions: vectra
Mar 3, 2023
Cars coming back today. Said the brakes are in full working order and should get better over time (lol, ill just replace the pads myself… no biggy) and the rattle was a stone in the suspension. Theyve reassured me its now a silent drive. Infotainment has been updated and is now apparently bug free.
Time will tell.

marjohn56

May 31, 2014
London
Cars coming back today. Said the brakes are in full working order and should get better over time (lol, ill just replace the pads myself… no biggy) and the rattle was a stone in the suspension. Theyve reassured me its now a silent drive. Infotainment has been updated and is now apparently bug free.
Time will tell.
I've yet to find any software that is bug free, except the most simple. The Info system is complex as is the rest of the vehicle management and there will always be bugs, it's the nature of the beast.

Mar 3, 2023
Aslong as it doesnt swap me from Prinary User to a Guest mid drive and adjust every setting possible whilst on the move, i can deal with it.
Bloody cars. Life was simpler with a sony head unit and a tomtom for a long journey!

Shackattack

Apr 12, 2021
Aslong as it doesnt swap me from Prinary User to a Guest mid drive and adjust every setting possible whilst on the move, i can deal with it.
Bloody cars. Life was simpler with a sony head unit and a tomtom for a long journey!
A few weeks on, how is the rattling sound? Mine has started to do this drivers side front and sounds like a similer issue, rattling when going sub 15mph going over uneven roads etc

luv2xlr8

Mar 18, 2024
Time will tell.
Hi Zak,

Hope its ok to pick up this topic?

I am getting two noises:

1. Braking: Braking to decrease speed from 15 mph ovn (The sound is the same as that of a live fire torch)
2. Braking and Steering: While reversing into our drive and locking the steering wheel 80% ovn (The sound is the same as a ships horn but softer; but metal on metal?) and not easy to replicate as requires a specific manouvering.

It seems you had one noise from the brakes, and assuming thats 1. ?
Did you replace the pads yourself due to factory low quality brakes? did it solve the noise you had?
Have you exeprienced 2. ?

Thanks,
Mo

Villabrand

Apr 2, 2023
Hi Zak,

Hope its ok to pick up this topic?

I am getting two noises:

1. Braking: Braking to decrease speed from 15 mph ovn (The sound is the same as that of a live fire torch)
2. Braking and Steering: While reversing into our drive and locking the steering wheel 80% ovn (The sound is the same as a ships horn but softer; but metal on metal?) and not easy to replicate as requires a specific manouvering.

It seems you had one noise from the brakes, and assuming thats 1. ?
Did you replace the pads yourself due to factory low quality brakes? did it solve the noise you had?
Have you exeprienced 2. ?

Thanks,
Mo
Hey Mo, have the same brake noise except the ships horn noise you mention is usually at slow speeds when on full lock. Usually when parking in a car park space. Interested to know if the dealership does anything if you take it down that road, haven't bothered myself as a bit of a hassle especially if they just say it's normal. Will have to wait for the service but that's not until next year!

Sent from my DN2103 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.