Octopus Energy and Cupra Hybrids

dashnine

Oct 31, 2012
Warwick, UK
Anyone using Intelligent Octopus finding that when they connect the car to the power, it registers with IO and sets up the charging schedule but IO doesn't stop the charge, but charges the car fully from then (at the day rate!)? This may only to apply where IO is controlling the car through CupraConnect app, not via the charger.

bounderboy

Mar 21, 2023
I would be interested to hear if Intelligent doesn't work with Cupra very well. I am on Agile at the moment and prices are still under intelligent (for me) at the moment but only just (but we did have a period of -4p KwH last night :) )

There is a possibility that Agile over Winter is going to be expensive.. but I am not sure..

dashnine

Oct 31, 2012
Warwick, UK
I would be interested to hear if Intelligent doesn't work with Cupra very well. I am on Agile at the moment and prices are still under intelligent (for me) at the moment but only just (but we did have a period of -4p KwH last night :) )

There is a possibility that Agile over Winter is going to be expensive.. but I am not sure..
I wouldn't say it doesn't work very well just the minor glitch above, but than I can 'cheat' as I have the ability to control when the power is applied to the car (using the granny charger with an inline wifi switch) - so I just set it to come on at 11:30 and IO then set's its schedule to charge, usually before the night rate stops at 5:50. If it doesn't stop the charge but has set it's schedule to (for example) start at 12:30 then it just charges at night rate anyway until it's charged.

If I turn the power on earlier, IO sets the schedule and if it does't stop the charge I can turn off the car charging manually via the app. IO still turns the charging on/off as required to match the set schedule.

Oct 20, 2023
Do you have to have Cupra Connect activated to use this? I can’t get my car to share location to connect to the Octopus app. Thanks :)

Tell

Staff member

You probably need to do a bit of modelling, all the hourly meter data can be downloaded and historic Agile rates. You'd have to profile the car in etc. No EV or Hybrid here but Agile is cheaper than flexible but it depends on your load profile. Agile is dynamic pricing based on spot market rates. Windy days cheap electricity since they don't turn the turbines off a lot. Sometimes when gas usage is high, Agile is cheap since evident some suppliers don't want to buy turbine generated power, may be contracts so Agile has it cheap.

As energy prices fall back dynamic pricing should be ahead of regular non-dynamic pricing as they are spot priced whilst the other has the lag so inherently cheaper in a falling price market. If you are using Agile you keep out of the 4-7PM slot where pricing is ahead of average. All comes down to usage profile.

Tell

Staff member
The Octopus apps provide free comparisons across tariffs. They provide open access to your data which developers hook into.

I bookmarked this one

Grab your data.

Historic tariffs

Change region.

That's your modelling data. That's what I used to evaluate Octopus Agile past tariffs and how they rolled out. A bit of standard Operational Research.

Then you have the apps.

Octopus Watch and Octopus Compare....

Us modellers by training 😉. People hook in their automated systems into IFTTT which Octopus supports which triggers energy storage and usage devices. Home batteries etc. People catch the cheap electricity to store plus their solar... I stopped at the hot water tank being storage and kicking energy use out of high cost areas. It's an interesting area. I've been saving 30% on the standard tariff but if we all shouted about it that figure may drop 🤣.

That's why EV batteries export as well as import least some in this area of home electricity management. Fun area.

Mar 4, 2023
I’ve just set mine up via the car so it charges from 11:30 till 5:30. I found that Octopus can eventually stop charging correctly as it sends to many commands to the car causing it to protect the 12v battery and not completing the charge as it wants to start and stop charging multiple times through the night
44a07b1a3ad77979023b1f9c4f572c2f.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tell

dashnine

Oct 31, 2012
Warwick, UK
I’ve just set mine up via the car so it charges from 11:30 till 5:30. I found that Octopus can eventually stop charging correctly as it sends to many commands to the car causing it to protect the 12v battery and not completing the charge as it wants to start and stop charging multiple times through the night

Me too, but not as Octopus stops charging but because I either can't access the car via the app to turn the heating on, etc. or it sets off the SOS and Travel Assist errors due to the low 12v battery (of which I increasing convinced is the cause).

I use a granny charger with a WiFi switch in the cable so just have it set to turn on at 11:30 each night and it can do a full charge before 5:30.

stutre

Jan 20, 2022
44a07b1a3ad77979023b1f9c4f572c2f.png

I am getting the same problem on Intelligent Octopus, how did you set this up as when I try to manually charge the car, Octopus send a message to the car to stop charging. Thanks

Mar 4, 2023
If you go into your account settings in the app and go down to devices, then device settings and swipe down to the bottom and turn of Smart Charging that should stop octopus canceling the charge between the set times in the Seat app

stutre

Jan 20, 2022
If you go into your account settings in the app and go down to devices, then device settings and swipe down to the bottom and turn of Smart Charging that should stop octopus canceling the charge between the set times in the Seat app

That’s brilliant, thanks. Will see what happens tonight.

Reactions: danstewartcath
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.