Oil change

OJ9693

Mk3 Leon FR 150
Sep 2, 2019
Embarrassed to say i've never done an oil change on my own car before, or anybody elses car as a matter of fact. Oil change notification in 200 miles is now on my dash. I saw recently a post on here saying that there's a different way to change the oil on a 1.4 TSI ACT 150? as to normally.

Was tempted to give it a go myself but seeing this made me slightly concerned i might do something wrong. Can anybody shed some light on this?

Even though i've got a house and car insurance to pay for this week i'm considering just paying a garage to carry it out for me should i not feel confident, how much should it cost roughly? of course it varies where you're located bla bla bla.

any advice/help is greatly appreciated.

Titchy

Jun 10, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Last edited:
Reactions: OJ9693

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
Embarrassed to say i've never done an oil change on my own car before, or anybody elses car as a matter of fact. Oil change notification in 200 miles is now on my dash. I saw recently a post on here saying that there's a different way to change the oil on a 1.4 TSI ACT 150? as to normally.

Was tempted to give it a go myself but seeing this made me slightly concerned i might do something wrong. Can anybody shed some light on this?

Even though i've got a house and car insurance to pay for this week i'm considering just paying a garage to carry it out for me should i not feel confident, how much should it cost roughly? of course it varies where you're located bla bla bla.

any advice/help is greatly appreciated.

That 2nd link that Titchy posted is really good and it is soooo much easier than the TDI. The oil filter is actually ON TOP of the engine, where you can get to it!

On the TDI you have to get to it from under the car and it's a pain. I change my oil and filter every 5,000 miles, so I'm getting used to it.

The only difference seems to be the new style of sump plugwhere it clicks when tight enough and not a traditional bolt. It's actually a better way of doing it. #idiotproof

You seriously will not have any issues doing it yourself. The car will need to be raised up to be able to get to the sump plug though.

Go on - give it a go!

OJ9693

Mk3 Leon FR 150
Sep 2, 2019
I'm deeply considering it, although i don't have any means to switch off the oil change reminder! and i know for a fact that will bug the hell out of me.

Thanks for info!

OJ9693

Mk3 Leon FR 150
Sep 2, 2019
Probably the most helpful guides i've found so far...

1.4 TSI Guide
https://www.autoinstruct.com.au/manufacturer/volkswagen/mk7-golf/mk7-golf-1-2-1-4-tsi-oil-change/

The 2.0 TSI EA888 guide is better TBF
https://www.autoinstruct.com.au/manufacturer/volkswagen/mk7-golf/ea888-mk7-golf-oil-change/

However you will need VCDS or Carista or OBD Eleven to rest the Service interval reminder

Thanks again for posting these in here.

I was just wondering if it is totally necessary to buy a new sump plug? Will the old one become redundant?
I have purchased filter, oil, funnel and carista plug-in.

EDIT: The 1.4 guide doesn't mention having to replace it, but the 2.0 TSI does.

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
Thanks again for posting these in here.

I was just wondering if it is totally necessary to buy a new sump plug? Will the old one become redundant?
I have purchased filter, oil, funnel and carista plug-in.

EDIT: The 1.4 guide doesn't mention having to replace it, but the 2.0 TSI does.

I've not seen/used the newer style plug so can't be sure.

With the older metal sump plugs, they always suggested a new plug and washer. I never bothered and usually changed it every 4 or 5 oil changes. I think it's usually suggested as `best practice` but can't say for sure.

Any idea how much they cost?

OJ9693

Mk3 Leon FR 150
Sep 2, 2019
I've not seen/used the newer style plug so can't be sure.

With the older metal sump plugs, they always suggested a new plug and washer. I never bothered and usually changed it every 4 or 5 oil changes. I think it's usually suggested as `best practice` but can't say for sure.

Any idea how much they cost?
Spoke to somebody at work who said it should be fine, and also like you said maybe change it every few or more oil changes.

From what I’ve seen they’re between £5-£10 for the 1.4 TSI engine. Im not going to bother this time.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I don't know why they recommended replacing a steel sump plug every oil change. No other car I've owned has. The washer, maybe but not the whole plug. You'd reuse the plug for years without issue.

And I'm not convinced by the plastic plugs they supply now. I rounded the plastic filter housing drain plug on out TDi last year and I can see that happening to these oil plugs too. All it takes is for some kid in a garage to do it up too tight and you could have a problem next time around.

cupra14

Aug 31, 2017
England
I've met metal sumps with a metal plug (made of a soft metal so any idiot overtightening it will not damage the sump).

I've also met plastic sumps with a plastic plug and the Cupra seems no trouble (can't swear for the idiots who overtighten).

What I would not want at all would be a plastic sump with a metal plug - think about it!!

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Do you really think they're switching to plastic parts because they are better?

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
Those extra 10 grams make a massive difference!

Probably another great cost saving initiative that ends up being a PITA to work with (I'm saying that due to my recent issues with heater matrix and need for a new water pump).

Love the car but under the bonnet it's far more complicated than it used to be.

Reactions: Mr Pig

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I would always have a new drain plug available regardless of its design, if you change your own engine oil, finding out you have an issue with a drain plug after removing it could make your life a bit annoying.

So, as you could work out, I have a spare of each of the drain plugs our cars have, and a stock of sealing washers as both cars we run now have these "single use" crush washers (2011 Audi S4 3.0TFSI + 2015 VW Polo 1.2TSI), even have one of these older plug/washer from earlier VW Group cars which I did replace at regular intervals - maybe every 3 years.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I would always have a new drain plug available regardless of its design.

I've never had a problem with a drain plug but I do keep a spare. I reuse the plugs/washers several times and never had an issue with that either. On the last car, a Mazda, the copper crush washer was separate from the plug so you could buy them individually for pennies. The Seat plug and washer are only sold together.

OJ9693

Mk3 Leon FR 150
Sep 2, 2019
I've never had a problem with a drain plug but I do keep a spare. I reuse the plugs/washers several times and never had an issue with that either. On the last car, a Mazda, the copper crush washer was separate from the plug so you could buy them individually for pennies. The Seat plug and washer are only sold together.

So for my 1.4 TSI wouldn't need to purchase a new washer? As it is part of the plug?

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
So for my 1.4 TSI wouldn't need to purchase a new washer? As it is part of the plug?

I haven't seen one of the new plastic plugs yet but yes, the washer will be with the plug. On the metal plugs the washer is captive so you can't remove it from the plug. Not easily anyway.

cupra14

Aug 31, 2017
England
Probably another great cost saving initiative that ends up being a PITA to work with (I'm saying that due to my recent issues with heater matrix and need for a new water pump).

It's not a PITA.

Just because you had an issue with some other part of the car doesn't mean every part is a PITA - or if you find everything is and others don't...

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Just because you had an issue with some other part of the car doesn't mean every part is a PITA - or if you find everything is and others don't...

In my experience, the switch to plastic for many parts which used to me metal can indeed be PITA inducing.

On my Mazda 6 a plastic manifold in the cooling system cracked, something unheard of when they were metal. Cost a few hundred to fix. The thousands of Ford Ecoboost failures are due to plastic pipe connectors cracking. I'm heard of plastic inlet manifolds cracking, I rounded the plastic drain plug on my oil filter housing, the list goes on.

Manufacturers are happy as these parts are cheaper and lighter but no way they are as strong as their metal predecessors. Overall, cars are more reliable than they used to be but we are now seeing failures in parts that previously lasted the life of the car without issue.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise