Opinions required, sensible comments only please

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
Ok,

Due to a slight change in personal circumstances looming on the horizon I have had a sudden need to have a rethink on changing the car.

Don't want to lose the mk4 Ibiza as i like it so much. However it looks like my £320 month habit of petrol has to stop an this woul dmean knocking the car on the head, However i am looking at changingit for an FR TDi Ibiza.
I know this has all happened quickly but needs must.

I have done some reserch on prices etc, and just in a casual chat my local dealer has a 25k Black 54 plate Ibiza Tdi up for 10295. Now they have offered against that for mine ( they know the carand it does have above average miles at 40k) 7400 for mine at a price of 9995, that would include me putting back to standard ( remap) apart from wheels and bodykit, so i get to keep the brakes and fiddly things and downpipe etc.

So it would cost me around £2500 to change, then minus off the sale of downpipe,brakes, spare set of alloys, cupra interior i have ( damn bad timining) , downpipe i would probbaly end up about £500 down on th edeal. However i will end up cutting my fuel in 2 overnight, £200 off my annual insurance, and a car that will hold its value a lot better than my current one as its TDi.

I would also not be doing anything to it for a year or so, and if i do it will just be a remap and thats it.

So do i do this, or do i grin and bear the costs and simply cut down on my usage and limit the amount of petrol i use a month, however have a car that is gonna be worth a lot less than the tdi in 2 years time.

honest opinions please and anyone in kent area wanna let me see what a remapped 130 Tdi ibiza FR is like.

cheers

warren_cox

Back from the dead
Traded my 53 plate LCR for an Ibiza TDi FR. Even Revo'd the Ibiza. 5 months later I'm driving an 05 plate LCR.

I drive less pointless miles and use the car when it really matters.

Don't make the same mistake I did. I bought a new house and thought I'd be sensible. Ended up costing me dearer in the end.

The TDi FR had poor brakes, the suspension was just too hard, the steering was too light, and ultimately it felt like too big a compromise for me. Maybe if I had gone Leon TDi FR or Leon Cupra TDi I may still have stuck with it.

Never regret getting another LCR for a second. Learn from an old fool!!!

andy_gdon

Aug 20, 2004
Id change to the derv and have it remapped...but im biased!!

If your selling up can you pm me how much you want for the Cupra interior??

tris

The Daddy
Feb 25, 2005
Kent & Track Days
www.leoncupra.net
could you not do what kier has done and buy a cheap derv to run around in Ant?
then when you want to go out for a blast you can
lots of people i no do this a mate has a S1 RS & a 360BHP Pulsar and a diesel fiz to go to work in like Kier
makes sence

PS thats also the reason you dont tend to see me round town as i to have an old banger to do silly miles in saves petrol

FR-RUSH

IBIZA FR TDI BLACK MAGIC
Dec 3, 2005
Islington
well ive got a standart ibiza fr tdi, give you an idea about looks etc, its not chipped though. will probably be at the next meet.

Sisson

Club member
Aug 18, 2005
Derbyshire
the brakes maybe poor on a tdi once chipped but can't you put your brembo's on?

or 312mm ones?

do you do alot of motorway miles? when driving in town my mpg drops to 40mpg which isnt that impressive, but once on a long stretch, 60mpg is easily achieved.

also what suspension have you got on your car at the min?

maxcars1

Nov 9, 2004
Here's my advice: keep the car and buy a runaround, which is what I did for my 50mile round trip to work. Or get rid and buy the TDI which I've got. I've got the runaround to keep the mileage down on the TDI.

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
well i'm all over the place, one sec thinking, yep keep her, next thinking no get rid.

Since first post, have been speaking to Sidlow, who also have a TDi Fr, in Platinum Grey, with just 11000 on the clock and they want the same money as the other black one, and its the same age. that would seem a better bet.

also as my od man has just said, " i won't end up keeping it standard" he knows me too well.

The only other thing i am really worried about, is the Diesel sound, i never really got used to it on my Golf,

Plus i do have to lay out at least £2500 to do the swap upfront, then recoup, maybe it is a little bit of false economy.

I don't know really need to sleep on this one. The TDi does seem Sensible yet still quick, realisticly its best of both worlds. I thik once remapped it will be not far off what i have now.

a few more views, wheres spaniels, sure he will have a shout on this.

Cheers for all the other posts, does help to an extent, although two cars is not an option,

Jan 8, 2006
Manchester
@ 2700 miles a month...thats only gonna be a maximum of £250 spent on derv...thats a saving against £320!! all mounts up....

slightly biased as want wheels tho haha

JK

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
m0rk said:
is it £320 a month because you're doing 2700 miles a month, or because you have a lead foot?

Yeah i do have a lead foot ( bugger when walking it tell ya)

But i do on average just over 2000 a month. current milage is 40500 for a 18 month old car. so yeah it is a bit of both.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
I'd seriously look at cruise control

£2500 'loss' is going to be hard to recoup quickly, cruise costs a lot initially, but if you drive with it you'll see just under 40's on long trek's - it's no fun sitting at 70 - but it sure just sips the juice.

That said - I ran a Superb PD130 up for 300 miles one day & that got 58mpg in my normal driving mood.

maybe sell the ibiza because it's losing money, then buy a 2nd hand FR (they shift for about 7k now) and then you won't lose so much, and have a TDI - the dealers will only shaft you.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.