Ovni Paint Fade & Badge Removal

JamJay

California Bound
Car care wizards, I need your advice.

I have an OVNI Yellow LCR, the colour we all know that loves to fade. I will admit, she isn't faded by conventional standards, I have taken good care of the paint work so far and the Carnauba wax has restored alot of the colour. However, the fade is still evident when comparing the spoiler and boot lid.

I am in the process of removing the L E O N badge at the back and have been given some good tips by some people on the LEON forum (http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=207081).

I am concerened though, that once i take the lettering off, I will be left with darker paint underneath. If this is the case, how would I go about blending it all in. Are there any products to use? Are there any waxes that are exceptionally good for yellow cars that might bring the rest of the paint up?

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Unfortunately the offender is the clear coat lacquer used that hasn't got any UV inhibitors. I don't think there is much you can do.

HOWEVER if you say the wax you use sorts out the colour then makes me think that if you give the rear a polish with SRP (autoglym super resin polish) it may work.

Nothing a machine polish won't sort out.

A tip for removing badges.

Always tape the opposite side of the badge you are removing to stop it digging into the paint and marking it.

If for example you are removing the "L" from the top it's only natural that when you are pulling the top away from the paint the bottom will move in towards the paint like a seesaw effect so put a few layer of masking tape under the lip of the bottom of the "L" to prevent it marking the paint.

Lee.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Nothing a machine polish won't sort out.
I disagree Lee completely.

Ovni paint is renowned to fade because the clear coat doesn't have UV protection. ultimately there is nothing you can do and your only hope is that the paint has been protected so machining actually does something.

I disagree Lee completely.

Ovni paint is renowned to fade because the clear coat doesn't have UV protection. ultimately there is nothing you can do and your only hope is that the paint has been protected so machining actually does something.

I think we are both jumping to conclusions here.

I had no idea Onvi Yellow was bad for fading so my bad.

Let's compile a more accurate answer.

IF you have not had any paintwork carried out on the area in question of fading then you have a clear coat. If it's ever been resprayed then there is a possibility that it is a single stage paint but you won't know for sure untill you tackle it with a polish of some sort. If you get colour pigment on your pad when polishing then it is single stage and will have been resprayed at some point as these are clearcoat as standard.

If you get colour pigment on your pad then the problem can be resolved with a machine polish.

If you don't get colour pigment on your pad then you have a clear coat and might still be factory standard clear coat. If this is the case then it might still be able to be fixed without a respray if it's the clear coat that has oxidised.

BUT...

It could be the paint that has oxidised and if this turns out to be the case then a respray will be needed to fix this problem as no ammount of machine polishing will fix this without burning through the clear coat but that is something you really want to avoid doing.

Sorry for the abrupt reply above and thanks too jonjay for pointing this out.

Lee.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
I think we are both jumping to conclusions here.

I had no idea Onvi Yellow was bad for fading so my bad.

Let's compile a more accurate answer.

IF you have not had any paintwork carried out on the area in question of fading then you have a clear coat. If it's ever been resprayed then there is a possibility that it is a single stage paint but you won't know for sure untill you tackle it with a polish of some sort. If you get colour pigment on your pad when polishing then it is single stage and will have been resprayed at some point as these are clearcoat as standard.

If you get colour pigment on your pad then the problem can be resolved with a machine polish.

If you don't get colour pigment on your pad then you have a clear coat and might still be factory standard clear coat. If this is the case then it might still be able to be fixed without a respray if it's the clear coat that has oxidised.

BUT...

It could be the paint that has oxidised and if this turns out to be the case then a respray will be needed to fix this problem as no ammount of machine polishing will fix this without burning through the clear coat but that is something you really want to avoid doing.

Sorry for the abrupt reply above and thanks too jonjay for pointing this out.

Lee.
Very constructive and excellent post :)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.