Paint issue

Darren Evans

Oct 27, 2022
Hi all,

I have a 7 month old VZ with matt paint. The paint seems to me like its running or its just dirty and wont clean. Not used anything I shouldn't on it and only wax free shampoo.
Have the dealers tomorrow for a 8k service oil change so will get them to look.

Has anyone seen this before?

IMG_0054.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0054.jpg
    IMG_0054.jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 84

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Has it ever been washed by any of the many hand wash car washing places or has the dealer ever carried out a complementary service wash if / when you’ve ever taken the car back to the dealers for any servicing or warranty work? If so, then there’s a good chance they may have used so inappropriate products for the matte finish.

Even if it’s been cared for correctly, don’t be surprised if the dealer tries to fob you off and tell you otherwise! If they do, then it might be worth speaking to a professional detailer for advice on how to rectify / remove the streaking.

The guide to caring for matte paint at the link below is worth a look;

Reactions: Nickfurnell

Darren Evans

Oct 27, 2022
Has it ever been washed by any of the many hand wash car washing places or has the dealer ever carried out a complementary service wash if / when you’ve ever taken the car back to the dealers for any servicing or warranty work? If so, then there’s a good chance they may have used so inappropriate products for the matte finish.

Even if it’s been cared for correctly, don’t be surprised if the dealer tries to fob you off and tell you otherwise! If they do, then it might be worth speaking to a professional detailer for advice on how to rectify / remove the streaking.

The guide to caring for matte paint at the link below is worth a look;

Never only ever washed by me by hand. Have also only used the wax free product shampoo that they gave me when purchasing. Will see what they say tomorrow. Did take out the insurance on the paint so hopefully its covered.

Wyld Stallyn

Be Excellent To Each Other and... Party On Dudes!
Mar 10, 2022
Could it just be combo of pollen and night/morning condensation running off? 🤔

Wyld Stallyn

Be Excellent To Each Other and... Party On Dudes!
Mar 10, 2022
But in all seriousness, good luck, I hope that it all comes out in the wash, whatever form that takes 👍

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
So my local dealer saying they should not have applied the paint protection and he thinks it’s that. They are looking into it.

Looking at your picture again, it does look like some sort of product that’s run down the side of the car.

I think paint protection can be applied to matte paintwork, but if it is, then it needs to be a product specifically designed for use on matte paintwork and the chances are, an incorrect product (one for gloss paint) was used on your car by the dealer. Hindsight’s a wonderful thing, but I personally wouldn’t let a car dealer apply a paintwork protection product to my car (I don’t even let them wash my car).

In your position, assuming the product now needs to be removed, I personally wouldn’t want the dealer to do it. If incorrect products, materials or processes are used, the paintwork could end up looking patchy or semi-glossy in places. I’d be wanting the removal process done by a professional car detailer of my choice, but at the Cupra dealer’s expense.

Please update this discussion thread once you’ve heard back from the dealer.

EdwinV

Feb 7, 2022
I hope they find a solutions to remove the paint protection.
Maybe a detailer can fix it. They have better products.

I ordered some special products for matt paint maintenance.
I first apply the monello snow foam with the foam gun and my pressure washer.
After 5-10 minutes I use the pressure washer to remove the foam and dirt.
With a very soft wash mitt I apply the dodo juice shampoo.
I remove the shampoo with a normale hose and dry the car with special towels.

Both smell very nice 😜
1685692450515.png

1685692403057.png

Reactions: SRGTD

Darren Evans

Oct 27, 2022
I h
I hope they find a solutions to remove the paint protection.
Maybe a detailer can fix it. They have better products.

I ordered some special products for matt paint maintenance.
I first apply the monello snow foam with the foam gun and my pressure washer.
After 5-10 minutes I use the pressure washer to remove the foam and dirt.
With a very soft wash mitt I apply the dodo juice shampoo.
I remove the shampoo with a normale hose and dry the car with special towels.

Both smell very nice 😜
View attachment 37006

View attachment 37005
Thanks for this where did you purchase?

I had a chat with the guy who does detailing and he said it looks like whatever the product was used is coming off. He cleaned it for me and it looks a lot better now. They also said find our what protection they put on the car and then contact the autoglym to see if it meant to be on a Matt paint.

EdwinV

Feb 7, 2022
I h

Thanks for this where did you purchase?

I had a chat with the guy who does detailing and he said it looks like whatever the product was used is coming off. He cleaned it for me and it looks a lot better now. They also said find our what protection they put on the car and then contact the autoglym to see if it meant to be on a Matt paint.
It's from a Dutch webshop: https://www.carclean.com/
In the reviews I found good information.

This is my foam gun... fits directly on my Karcher pressure washer.
Bought a package with 5 liter snow foam.
1685702319032.png

Darren Evans

Oct 27, 2022
Can I also ask how you dry your Matt car? I use a fibre cloth but the dealer says a shammy is fine?

EdwinV

Feb 7, 2022
Can I also ask how you dry your Matt car? I use a fibre cloth but the dealer says a shammy is fine?
I use two Gyeon Q²M Silk Dryer towels with size 70x90cm and 50x55cm.
Perfect for drying the whole car. I also have their wash mitt.

I clean the towels and wash mitt on a short 15 minute program at 30 degrees in the washing machine without any soap etc.
They dry in the open air in a couple of hours and remain very soft.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Car washing has moved on significantly from the single bucket, sponge and wash leather days, and I wouldn’t use a wash leather - or a sponge - on a car whatever the paint type, even if the dealer says it’s fine to do so. I don’t think any of the dedicated detailing websites would say it’s fine to use a wash leather for drying either; they’ll be recommending plush microfibre drying towels.

Most dealers have probably never heard of the safe two bucket (or three bucket) wash method, let alone use it. Most dealers would say a bucket, sponge and wash leather were fine to use on any car paint type - that’s what they use for complementary services washes - and the water used is often what’s left over in the bucket from the previous car, so could be dirty and full of grit 😲. That’s why I don’t ever let the dealer wash my car.

i don’t have matte paintwork but I use similar products to @EdwinV, and like @EdwinV, my car cleaning kit (lambs wool wash mitt, drying towels, wheel woolies) also gets washed after every use. I would feel happy using the same kit on matte paintwork, but would change my existing shampoo / snow foam to products that are specifically for matte paintwork.

For drying, I use a warm air dryer to remove most of the final rinse water from my car (it’s also very good at removing water from those annoying water traps that most cars seem to have - grilles, along window rubbers, around door handles, badges, door mirror housings etc.); any remaining water droplets get mopped up with plush, double thickness microfibre car drying towels.

Reactions: Darren Evans
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.