Platinum Grey Leon FR TDI Hybrid - The End!

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Would have thought you would have gone with some thing a lil more on the grippy side maz . I don't really rate them prada spec 2s all the way for me best tire I have ever had
I am pretty sure Toyo are one of the grippiest tyres out there dan. People cant fault them for dry and wet grip its just they wear out quick. You also have to remember certain tyres performance different to different weights. I have a heavier front end than you do being a deisel and from friends cars similar spec to mine toyos preformane preform pretty well.

Problem with Prada Spec 2s is they arnt good in the wet so I am told...

Last edited:

dholdi

Jul 3, 2008
Preston
I'm a big fan of Toyo's. I've just put a new set on my spare wheels. At the moment I've got a set of LCR alloys on which have Goodyear F1's fitted and tbh they are not as good as the Toyo's. I am getting the tcs light coming on in 2nd in places where it never happened with the Toyos and generally they feel skittish in comparison.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
I'm a big fan of Toyo's. I've just put a new set on my spare wheels. At the moment I've got a set of LCR alloys on which have Goodyear F1's fitted and tbh they are not as good as the Toyo's. I am getting the tcs light coming on in 2nd in places where it never happened with the Toyos and generally they feel skittish in comparison.
Slick has them on his leon tdi and from the performance he gets out of his with them then I think I made the right choice. It will be the case of waiting now till the falkens on the front scrub out then getting toyo's on the front. Should be just in time for the more dry seasons.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
They are £80 on camskill per corner...no I always decided on Toyos from day one but was considering Vredstein because of there reduced price at the moment Problem is because I am only getting two at a time I couldnt afford for them to go back to £100-110 when I need another two.

D.K

LCR 225
Oct 24, 2007
se london
Oh right.
I really cant decide what to get for mine, I'v swaped the front's with the back's so I should get a few more month's out of them,

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
A lot of people swear by the top brands so I think toyo, eagle f1s, vred, or pilot sports you will be happy with.

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
If you get more than 5k out of them with enthusiastic driving i'll be surprised :) Then again, i don't think Slick does that much mileage so it probably doesn't matter to him ..... £20 ro £30 per tyre more when you're changing all 4 of them 3 or more times a year starts to add up.

I still reckon for the money the Falken ZE912 is marginally better than the FK452 and still 90% as good as the likes of Toyo or Goodyear.

Tbh if you're driving so quick on the public roads that you run out of grip then you're probably driving too fast in the first place, eithe that or you've got too much torque ;-) Not a problem i'm having in the Honda haha

Husbandofstinky

Out from the Wilderness
Nov 8, 2007
Temperate Regions
£20 ro £30 per tyre more when you're changing all 4 of them 3 or more times a year starts to add up.

Chuffing hell. Someone must have a very heavy right foot or well above average mileage.

Wouldn't dream of getting through one set in a year let alone multiples.

I assume that you still aren't a fan of Goodyear F1 assym's due to your wear rate last time the Leon wore them? 3k??? iirc.

Still reckon on the Falkens then be it 452 or 912 for all round performance?

The Conti's (sp3) still have about 4k in them. Front's normally do about 12k if I'm lucky and happy with that. Been happy with them apart from wet grip really.

slick

Bit of an animal
Mar 15, 2005
Essex
Just to add guys, i do a region of 10-12k a year and normally only need to change once a year at most, did a whole year this year on them, only replaced due to puncture..

As for a second opinion I'll await Maz to fit fronts and backs on and then get him to verify the grip for all of you...

Doubt it will be any different to me, as we have near excatly same handling set up, weight, diff, only difference is hes pushing more power though the wheels.

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
Chuffing hell. Someone must have a very heavy right foot or well above average mileage.

Wouldn't dream of getting through one set in a year let alone multiples.

I assume that you still aren't a fan of Goodyear F1 assym's due to your wear rate last time the Leon wore them? 3k??? iirc.

Still reckon on the Falkens then be it 452 or 912 for all round performance?

The Conti's (sp3) still have about 4k in them. Front's normally do about 12k if I'm lucky and happy with that. Been happy with them apart from wet grip really.

Lots of roundabouts and a heavy right foot - by comparison, the Honda is doing similar speeds, handling almost as well but it's barely even touching the tyres. Done 3k in it since getting it and the tyres have only lost about 1.5 mm of tread. Low torque and a lighter car.

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
What does the Honda sit on?

It's currently on Bridgestone RE050 on the front s and Maxxis crap on the back.

245 - 45 - 17 rears
225 - 45 - 17 fronts

You just can't go burying into corners chewing the front wheels because they're not the driven ones and if you try and get too lairy with the throttle, you'll throw the rear end out. That makes your driving style less agressive and far more progressive whlist not actually being that much slower. With the Leon it was hard into corners and scrub my way around them, not so with the Honda.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
KW Variant 3 - Going low and slow for the moment
-----

Well the day finally arrived where the good old H&R cup kit got taken off and the KW Variant 3s got put on. The H&R cup kit served the car well however as the car developed more power and with the inclusion of the diff allowing me to go much faster into corners it was obvious that something needed to be changed.

I initially thought about getting uprated springs to lower the car by 20mm over the old ride height. This would have lessened the roll and improved the responsiveness of the turn in. I decided against this due to cost and started to consider other options like VF Engineering Drop Links and 034 Motorsport Strut Mounts. However life being the way it is, I had two problems happen at the same time. I got a hole in the turbo outlet pipe which made me investigate what the car was doing when I was going over bumps. Every time I would go on a bump road regardless of whether I was accelerating or rolling in neutral I was get a loud boost / gas release. Investigating further the right hand side of the car was a lot softer than the left hand side, it was obvious then, the right hand side shock internals had gone and it was releasing gas.

To my surprise when the suspension came off, AmD saw a big hole in the turbo outlet pipe. Now I am not sure what broke first however I think that the suspension was giving way a lot more than normal which was causing the pipe to rub on the driveshaft and eventually rubbed the silicone away. Also the fact the pancake pipe being a prototype and not fixed properly didn’t help.

Moving on, the car now has KW Variant3s. There were quite a few reasons why I chose this kit:

1) My car is not about being fast in a straight line. If you read through my thread its more about having the all round package that can compete with the more expensive cars. KW is a small giant that takes R&D to another level, the craftsmanship of the coilover and internals is one of the best out there.
2) I wanted something that I could adjust and tweak until I am happy. I love the uniqueness factor of this kit and the fact you can tailor it to an individual car is perfect. The fact being a quick TDI that is heavy nosed makes even more sense to get this kit.
3) Having a detailer’s brain the Inox steal is a massive plus especially in the UK. I love the fact that I can clean them and make them look like new.
4) AmD, more specifically Kenny and Ben just wouldn’t let me choose another kit as they felt no other kit would do the car justice.

The Test Drive
First thoughts when sitting in the car was the strange feeling especially when next to ford focuses and 4x4s, just so low! Setting off whilst trying to listen for boost leaks almost made me forget I had coilovers on. This is instantly made me think that the dampening levels were very similar to my H&Rs and on a smooth road where the change in camber and dips in the road are gradual…the dampening seemed almost identical. The differences start to become apparent when going a tad faster; the coilovers seem to let you know exactly what’s happening with the road. For those with a diff on cambered roads it gives you a lot of feedback and makes the car want to turn into tram line much more than usual. The KWs seem to calm this down almost reassuring you and the diff that there will be no nasty surprises ahead. Hitting the first roundabout the lack of body roll just amazed me and I am 100% sure that this has given my worn falkens a new lease of life as they can now have much more contact with the road. This wont stop me moving to Toyo’s however credit to Falken for producing a good tyre for the money.

The Motorway
The KW Variant 3s change their characteristics when you got faster as the rebound and compression changes and nicking what DOLBY said, like KoniFSDs. On cruising speed 60-70 mph the car shapes to every bump, dip, camber change the motorway has to offer. Whilst this is fantastic when you’re going somewhere in a hurry I can see this getting tiring after 2-3 hours. This is not to say the ride is very harsh because it isn’t. In fact being in lots of different Leons with all sorts of suspension kits its well up there with the best. Let’s not confuse the issue, they are not in the same league of a shock and spring setup!

The Ugly Roads
Britain seriously has to do something about the state of the roads! Going on some awful roads where the rebound and compression is tested to the max the KWs soak them up all giving reassuring thuds. When going of ‘deep’ man holes I noticed the car deals with these without crashing, it’ almost like the car is too stiff to fall into them. On sweeping bends on these ugly roads the car stays composed and doesn’t lose its line. My only concern at this stay is that the rear feel bouncy which upsets the balance. Willie has kindly warned me about this in another thread so I will try and adjust the rebound and bump to fix this issue.

Opinions so far
Please note I have not done any driving on A or B roads or pushing the car at all in anyway. All of the the above was normal every day driving. When I can push the car that’s when I will be at AmD tweaking the setup with Shaun+lads at AmD then some further tweaking with my best mates Slick.

Positives
+ Hardly no roll
+ feedback of what the road is doing
+ Reacts well to bumps and remains composed
+ Grip and ride height!

Negatives
- Bouncy at the rear
- Rebound and compression not setup for motorways.
I just got the Toyo T1-Rs fitted on the rear and falken from the rear now on the front. The negatives from my KW review i.e. the bouncy rear has completely disapeared. This would indicate that the sidewalls of the falkens are much weaker than the Toyo's. The ride has now improved quite dramatically in my opinion...almost making me want to change the falkens on the front now to Toyo too.

I am not saying the falkens are not good value or a good performance tyre. I am however convinced for £22 more a corner the benifits are worth every penny especially with a highly modified one.

Husbandofstinky

Out from the Wilderness
Nov 8, 2007
Temperate Regions
Tyre reports are always welcomed and the Toyo's sound positive considering they're up against the old faithfull Falken's.

It would also be interesting your report with Toyo's on all four corners. Can you hold off?

BKR

TorqueDefinesIntelligence
Jul 15, 2008
Grimsby
i know iv not got a leon or a large amount of power but i have the toyos on all 4 corners and find them amazing. i was recently running on bridgstone after the accident but as soon as i got my toyos on again the difference is perfound and i think i will always be a toyo kind of guy

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Pancake Replacement #The Return
------

Brad1 twisted my arm and showed me a great and the ideal solution to get rid of the pancake completely.

Brad1 and I both order this:
pancakereplacement.jpg

Its a like for like replacement so not cutting or modifying required. Purchased from the US so should arrive in a couple of weaks. As for it making a difference here is a snippet from Neuspeed who make an identical product

The stock pancake pipe flows 355cfm at 25 ft of water on a flow bench. In comparison, the round NEUSPEED pipe flows 426cfm at 25 of water

I expect exactly the same results with this pipe but 1/3 the price.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
I just got the Toyo T1-Rs fitted on the rear and falken from the rear now on the front. The negatives from my KW review i.e. the bouncy rear has completely disapeared. This would indicate that the sidewalls of the falkens are much weaker than the Toyo's. The ride has now improved quite dramatically in my opinion...almost making me want to change the falkens on the front now to Toyo too.

I am not saying the falkens are not good value or a good performance tyre. I am however convinced for £22 more a corner the benifits are worth every penny especially with a highly modified one.
Excellent news.
I've never scrimped and saved on tyres and never had any handling issues with them on the road.
But on the track tyre wall flex on the limit was noticeable. I've not been on the track since fitting my R888's but am sure this feeling thought to be flex will have gone.
Falkens are not in the same league as Toyos and the other.
But still a GYE + Michelin man, cannot fault the GYE summer tyres and the Michelin winter tyres

brad1

I can't wait mate, I think we should get good gains if neuspeed are right by how much more it flows :)

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.