Please post Dyno plots of JabbaSport IHI / VF34 turbo...

Schoolbus

I am getting closer to deciding on a big turbo for my '01.5 VW Golf 1.8T. I'm currently deciding between a JabbaSport manifold & VF34 turbo -or- a GT28RS turbo with some other manifold.

I'd like to see what the power curves look like for the VF34 on the 1.8T. I've searched, but mostly found old dead links. Any info/plots would be greately appreciated!

Cheers,
Mark

jonathanp

Jan 5, 2005
Coventry
be interested in this as well? James Octy with the GT28RS seemed to go quite well from what I remember, 180bhp at 3k so didn't seem too laggy

Wilko

Badge snob
The GT28rs is give or take the same size from a flow point of view as a VF34. They both max out around 330-350hp. The GT on JBS octavia had a much bigger comp wheel than a 28 (GT30)
The GT is rebuildable if it goes, the IHI is not.
The IHI has a manifold that is well proven on RHD cars, the GT series turbos?

The GT has much bigger turbos with the same bolt pattern, the VF34 is about as big as IHI's go, but there are some hybrids available.

You pay your money, you make your choice.

Schoolbus

Wilko said:
The GT28rs is give or take the same size from a flow point of view as a VF34. They both max out around 330-350hp. The GT on JBS octavia had a much bigger comp wheel than a 28 (GT30)
The GT is rebuildable if it goes, the IHI is not.
The IHI has a manifold that is well proven on RHD cars, the GT series turbos?

The GT has much bigger turbos with the same bolt pattern, the VF34 is about as big as IHI's go, but there are some hybrids available.

You pay your money, you make your choice.

Thanks for the info, that definitely helps.

Just FYI, the manfold that I would mate to the GT28RS would be APR's manifold, which has a pretty good reputation.

For the turbo&manifold combo, I think it will cost me $250US more for the GT28RS&APR than it would for the VF34&JS.

My S4 is my mod-car. The Golf is my daily driver that's going to get a big turbo. Otherwise it's mostly stock looking and will stay that way. I don't plan on putting a lot of $ into this car. [it has a LSD, clutch, flywheel, suspension, and boost gauge. It's going to also get exhaust and SMIC.] I don't need it to be the fastest out there, but I do want it to be fun. I drive 140 miles roundtrip to work each day, all highway, so I think this will make for a nice highway beast.

As you noted, if the VF34 isn't right for me, or if it blows, then I'm stuck with a unique manifold. But if I go with the GT turbo and APR manifold, then I have various turbo options, as well as an easy sale of the manifold should I ever part it out.

Hard decisions. I'm happy to know the flow is similar. I like the idea of the VF34, as it's different (I live in the US, btw), but also like APR's manifold. Hmmmm. Thanks again for the info!

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
jonathanp said:
be interested in this as well? James Octy with the GT28RS seemed to go quite well from what I remember, 180bhp at 3k so didn't seem too laggy

lag is on-off-on throttle pick up, not initial spool so does'nt show itself quite as well on a RR as it would driving for real.

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Schoolbus said:
Thanks for the info, that definitely helps.

Just FYI, the manfold that I would mate to the GT28RS would be APR's manifold, which has a pretty good reputation.

For the turbo&manifold combo, I think it will cost me $250US more for the GT28RS&APR than it would for the VF34&JS.

My S4 is my mod-car. The Golf is my daily driver that's going to get a big turbo. Otherwise it's mostly stock looking and will stay that way. I don't plan on putting a lot of $ into this car. [it has a LSD, clutch, flywheel, suspension, and boost gauge. It's going to also get exhaust and SMIC.] I don't need it to be the fastest out there, but I do want it to be fun. I drive 140 miles roundtrip to work each day, all highway, so I think this will make for a nice highway beast.

As you noted, if the VF34 isn't right for me, or if it blows, then I'm stuck with a unique manifold. But if I go with the GT turbo and APR manifold, then I have various turbo options, as well as an easy sale of the manifold should I ever part it out.

Hard decisions. I'm happy to know the flow is similar. I like the idea of the VF34, as it's different (I live in the US, btw), but also like APR's manifold. Hmmmm. Thanks again for the info!

APR mani is for LHD tho still is'nt it?

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
VF34/18 on lower plot on 1800cc motor
PE1820 on higher plot on 1900cc motor
(largeport, dual plenum manifold)
before-after-PE.jpg

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Feel said:
I guessing that he wants LHD - so is the Jabba IHI manifold available in LHD?

I guess uf he drive/drove an 04 Jetta GLi he's not from these shores..
good point

Bora over here.

Schoolbus

Yes, I am in the US and have all LHD cars. Is the JS Manifold not going to work on my car? Hmmmm. Does someone have an Engine Bay photo of a Mk4 Golf/GTi 1.8T. I'd like to see how it is different, especially around the manifold/turbo.

Here is a photo of my LHD Golf 1.8T:

dsc02299.jpg

dsc02298.jpg

Mark

Schoolbus

Also, does anyone have some good photos of the JS Manifold? Thanks!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members