Possible ECU failure and recondition/replacement

mikeplonk

My car's a 2000X Cordoba Vario TDi. It's been running fine, and all of a sudden wouldn't start. The breakdown people came and fiddled around and reported that it was an electrical problem and towed it away. The electrician apparently reported that he couldn't get a connection between his diagnostic equipment and the ECU, so was 90% sure the ECU was at fault. This will be checked out tomorrow.

The ECU is only just over two years old, but is reportedly badly corroded. It was a replacement for the original that also failed, due to corrosion.

If it is the ECU, I've been quoted around £600 for it to be reconditioned, which I'm keen to avoid paying as the car's barely worth that. Does £600 seem reasonable? Sounds a lot to me given there's a whole raft of reconditioned ECUs on eBay for around £200. Sadly, there isn't the same one as fitted to my car, which is 038 906 018 EC (Bosch 0 281 001 914).

But, that's where I'm confused. Some pages on the web list that particular ECU as belonging to a Toledo not a Cordoba/Ibiza. So, are there alternative ECUs that would work just fine in my current car, that I could consider as an alternative? If so, I figured at least it would then drive and I could part ex it more easily. I'm not interested in souped up etc - just starting the engine without costing an arm and a leg would be a success.

Any other advice welcome. Thanks in anticipation

Cheers

Mark

nigelsmurf

have you had any luck as i am havivg the same prob!!!!!
and i have the same ecu as you
i have found an ecu at ecutechnologies.co.uk
for £250 but i would like the Immobilize off as its ok when its ok!!!!!!!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.