Problem with sensor

Jan 22, 2024
Yorkshire
Hi,
Just wondered if anyone else had this problem or knows how to sort it?
My dials are the ones where if it’s dark outside they start to dim so that you put your lights on, it has no auto lights or wipers. However I’ve had my windscreen replaced and now the dials are constantly dim and even if i put my lights on they don’t light up much more they are still quite dim.
I’ve only had this problem since the windscreen has been replaced but he came out to have a look and everything was fine he sorted the gel pad properly and made sure the sensor was fine, just wondered where the sensor actually is as some people are saying it’s in the dash and some are saying it’s in the windscreen behind the rear view mirror and wondered how I’d fix this . Thank you It’s 2018 seat Leon FR

Tell

Staff member
Reckon you will find it on the back of the rear view mirror - it's that slot you see from the outside looking in. I'd say point a bright torch at it but feels to me like it's disconnected / shorted - it would dim normally if you covered it up. Changing the windscreen they would have detached the mirror / disturbed the cabling / connections. Probably pulled a connection out and not pushed it back in or damaged it. Sometimes doing work they don't clip the sockets home. Had that with my heated wing mirror which came from the factory but they hadn't pushed it home so didn't work - the dealer found it. Will be something like that.

Reactions: MD07

Tell

Staff member
and that's trusty Don as well. That's the one you point a torch at, and it changes - I've done that :love:.

If there was gradual dimming may be that's the front one and Don's is everything off till you obey putting the lights on switch ?. The punishment one for not using your lights when it's dark. Pass on whether the Leon has a dash brightness control that may have been fumbled. Reckon it's still the process of having the windscreen changed has left a connection off.

Probably an SSP on the mirror sensors. One of the sensors is auto mirror dip but if the car hasn't got it, it's not that. What those windows do in the back of the mirror.

Reactions: MD07 and tracktoy
Jan 22, 2024
Yorkshire
and that's trusty Don as well. That's the one you point a torch at, and it changes - I've done that :love:.

If there was gradual dimming may be that's the front one and Don's is everything off till you obey putting the lights on switch ?. The punishment one for not using your lights when it's dark. Pass on whether the Leon has a dash brightness control that may have been fumbled. Reckon it's still the process of having the windscreen changed has left a connection off.

Probably an SSP on the mirror sensors. One of the sensors is auto mirror dip but if the car hasn't got it, it's not that. What those windows do in the back of the mirror.
When I contacted Seat I got sent a diagram with the sensor being behind the mirror but I was confused as a few people told me different but thank you for your reply, the guy who did my windscreen said he’d pay any costs and sort it if he can. I was hoping to be able to just buy a new sensor but I’d probs have to get it coded in, I’ll try take it to Seat and see what they say.

Tell

Staff member
When I contacted Seat I got sent a diagram with the sensor being behind the mirror but I was confused as a few people told me different but thank you for your reply, the guy who did my windscreen said he’d pay any costs and sort it if he can. I was hoping to be able to just buy a new sensor but I’d probs have to get it coded in, I’ll try take it to Seat and see what they say.
Feels more like the connection than broken. There are different mirror arrangements with different sensors in them. It's come up on the Arona side. I know our Arona doesn't have the automated main been dropped (HBA or whatever it's called), so what I see on it, isn't doing that. You'd find talk of an average process.... well I reckon the front behind the mirror does the automatic brightness adjustment on the display, whilst the one shown by Trackboy just kills the dash when it's dark and the lights are off. Failing that, the dash sensor by the speedo does it and what you see on a bog-standard car does nothing.

The proviso is whether you have been doing any coding that has messed it up. When you say windscreen replaced, I'd assumed it was broken... you haven't gone for an illegal / near illegal option of darkening down with film ?. That would / could probably through the auto light levels. If it's film it's a by-product of that. There apparently is coding you can do to increase the brightness. You'll find it on the board.

Both the Ateca and Arona work fine without any fiddling. On auto lights we made to "Late" else its always switching on the main beam. Yours doesn't have auto lights.

Reactions: MD07

tracktoy

Jun 11, 2023
There's definitely a sensor in the instrument cluster but it may work in conjunction with the sensor on the back of the mirror?
Agreed as @Tell said the dashboard one has a slightly different function to the behind the mirror ones, I did also find some coding to how the dash lights behave so it is also possible to change the way it behaves in both daylight (one set of coding) and nightime (seperate set of coding)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.