Quick question about brake pads

Feb 23, 2023
Hi guys!
I want to replace the front discs and pads for my 2018 Cupra 300.
The guy from the auto parts store recommended me to grap some Zimmermann drilled discs and some Brembo ceramic pads.

I want to mention that I use the car mostly for in/out city and highway driving and from time to time some spirited driving when the roads allow with maybe some heavier braking involved. I also live in a temperate climate so it can get a bit cold, it can also get a bit hot.

Are the ceramic pads something that I should stay away for this car? or any for that matter...
If I ditch the ceramics and take some semi metallics would that work fine with the drilled discs or they will wear fast?
Dust is not so important, performance and stopping power is what I'm looking for.

If you have any experience with this combination, please give me some adivce.

Thank you!

Mo_86

Sep 25, 2023
UK
Not sure about discs but how about ferodo ds2500 pads?
Expensive but they have great stopping power even from cold.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Brembo Ceramic pads - actually just NAO (none asbestos organic, not a true ceramic friction material) are not sold in Europe - as they don't have ECE R90 homologation.
You might be able to import some from Asia?
They will have low noise and dust, and good wear - but they have poor performance.

Look for low-metallic pads from actual friction manufactures - not from brake system manufactures.

edit#
Re: discs:
no benefit for drilled discs - just crack easier. Only reason is they look 'cool'. If that's your thing then fine - just don't buy them for better 'performance'!
I would find coated (not black as this is just paint and doesn't last long) and high carbon discs which have R90. R90 for discs means they have to meet a minimum (good) machining tolerance.

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
I went for Juratek VAG321 Brake Discs Vented, with EBC Bluestuff pads. I used to have drilled, but they cracked, as SuperV8 mentioned ☝🏼 I don’t think drilled discs look cool.

Feb 23, 2023
Brembo Ceramic pads - actually just NAO (none asbestos organic, not a true ceramic friction material) are not sold in Europe - as they don't have ECE R90 homologation.
You might be able to import some from Asia?
They will have low noise and dust, and good wear - but they have poor performance.

Look for low-metallic pads from actual friction manufactures - not from brake system manufactures.

edit#
Re: discs:
no benefit for drilled discs - just crack easier. Only reason is they look 'cool'. If that's your thing then fine - just don't buy them for better 'performance'!
I would find coated (not black as this is just paint and doesn't last long) and high carbon discs which have R90. R90 for discs means they have to meet a minimum (good) machining tolerance.
Actually the pads are the Brembo Xtra p85 144x . From what I saw these are made out of some compund called BRM X L01 which I guess contains both ceramic and metallic parts. Any idea on the performance of these?
I went for Juratek VAG321 Brake Discs Vented, with EBC Bluestuff pads. I used to have drilled, but they cracked, as SuperV8 mentioned ☝🏼 I don’t think drilled discs look cool.
If they crack they usually crack if you put them to the test or just from a more normal operation?

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
Actually the pads are the Brembo Xtra p85 144x . From what I saw these are made out of some compund called BRM X L01 which I guess contains both ceramic and metallic parts. Any idea on the performance of these?

If they crack they usually crack if you put them to the test or just from a more normal operation?
Normal use I’d say. It’s my daily car. Never tracked. Mainly city driving, and a few motorway trips a month. I’m not heavy on the brakes.

Reactions: SuperV8

SuperV8

May 30, 2019

Ah ok - that's not their 'ceramic' friction. P85 144N would have been their NAO.

Have not tested BRM X L01 material so can't comment on its performance.
Looks like a cheap anti-noise shim though - which in this instance is even more important as the shim wraps around the back plate so thickness is critical for good fitment. A cheap/thin shim can cause loose fitment/pad rattle.

1704989724637.png

queen

~Nassia~
Nov 29, 2010
Athens, Greece
Drilled discs can crack for a number of reasons. One very common reason is the temperature difference. Most people don't realize that you can't have hot discs and blast them with cold water when you wash the car, you need to wait for them to cool down. That can seriously damage discs. Micro cracks from normal wear and tear are expected, no matter the quality, even supercars with stock drilled discs have them. As my brake guy says stop any supercar you see on the road with drilled discs and you'll find microcracks.

I have a big brake kit on now but had drilled Zimmermann discs and ds2500 pads on a previous car and were great.

Feb 23, 2023
Drilled discs can crack for a number of reasons. One very common reason is the temperature difference. Most people don't realize that you can't have hot discs and blast them with cold water when you wash the car, you need to wait for them to cool down. That can seriously damage discs. Micro cracks from normal wear and tear are expected, no matter the quality, even supercars with stock drilled discs have them. As my brake guy says stop any supercar you see on the road with drilled discs and you'll find microcracks.

I have a big brake kit on now but had drilled Zimmermann discs and ds2500 pads on a previous car and were great.
In the end I went for the Zimmermann drilled discs and the Brembo pads mentioned above - I didn't really want the drilled, but I was in a bit of a time pressure and went for them anyway.

I will keep in mind your points and take good care of them. Thank you and thanks all for the messages 🚗

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.