Real world MPG

perryqhill

Sep 20, 2017
Doncaster
Hi all. I've currently got a 66 plate Leon Cupra 290 so I'm not exactly looking towards economy. In this we generally average about 29 to 31 mpg at this time of year doing short journeys accross town. On longer journeys we can get mid to late 30s and in warmer months that can be over 40mpg when the car is really being nursed along.

Anyway I've had the Leon coming up for 4 years and I quite like the look of some Cupra Atecas around 20 plate. This would give us some extra boot space and headroom, newer car with less miles on and maybe the option of a tow bar to put a bike rack on.

Logically I expected a few less mpg - heavier car, potential for being in 4wd, less aerodynamic but I've seen mpg listed on Parkers of 29 to 31 which alarmed me given the later Leon Cupra 290 is listed on the same site at 35 to 38. Then I looked on a thread posted on here a while ago where mpg was often low 20s.

Just wondering what sort of mpg people are getting now there's more on the forums.

Bahnstormer_vRS

Oct 28, 2021
I've had my 23 plate Ateca VZ2 since the end of August last year.

My long-term average mpg runs around 27-28mpg; see screenshot from CUPRA Connect below, but I do a lot of short, local, urban/mixed running, including London driving; albeit with a large amount of gentle driving.

9f40c4717645c07eeb9021c3386ab959.jpg

My best, so far, has been a 360 mile briskly driven, mostly Motorway / Dual Carriageway, round trip from home in Hertfordshire to Bolton in early December; 32.1mpg.

15074bcc481c496b2803dad8e5e82755.jpg

Hope this helps.

Guy

Sent from my Galaxy S23 Ultra using Tapatalk

Reactions: perryqhill

Bahnstormer_vRS

Oct 28, 2021
PS> Prior to my VZ2, I had a 70 plate VZ1 Ateca for just under two years covering 18,623 miles.

I used 702.53 gals of super unleaded, giving an average of 26.5mpg.

Guy

SamuelDonuts

Jan 6, 2017
Midlands
My old ateca 300 drank fuel like it was going out of fashion. The combination of the body shape and 4Drive really does affect the economy. Don’t think I ever, ever saw more than 34mpg and that was in slow but steady motorway traffic.
When I traded it in, I took a picture of the readouts to remind myself of the economy. Over the last full tank it did 24.9mpg over 256 miles, the tank was almost empty. The final journey was 29.8mpg over 79 miles - average speed 66mph so a steady motorway run (at the time I lived right on a motorway junction so no slower roads to bring the average down).

Hope this info is useful.

perryqhill

Sep 20, 2017
Doncaster
Cheers for the replies. Given I barely drive it and it's more a family run around it doesn't make too much sense (suppose the Leon doesn't either like 😀). Shame as I really like them.

GringAddict

Dec 22, 2023
Manchester, UK
I've had my 23 plate Ateca VZ2 since the end of August last year.

My long-term average mpg runs around 27-28mpg; see screenshot from CUPRA Connect below, but I do a lot of short, local, urban/mixed running, including London driving; albeit with a large amount of gentle driving.

9f40c4717645c07eeb9021c3386ab959.jpg

My best, so far, has been a 360 mile briskly driven, mostly Motorway / Dual Carriageway, round trip from home in Hertfordshire to Bolton in early December; 32.1mpg.

15074bcc481c496b2803dad8e5e82755.jpg

Hope this helps.

Guy

Off topic but if you got it in August when did you order it? Assuming it was a factory order ofc!

CosmicBlue

Enjoying retirement
Nov 25, 2023
Warwick, UK
Hi all. I've currently got a 66 plate Leon Cupra 290 so I'm not exactly looking towards economy. In this we generally average about 29 to 31 mpg at this time of year doing short journeys accross town. On longer journeys we can get mid to late 30s and in warmer months that can be over 40mpg when the car is really being nursed along.

Anyway I've had the Leon coming up for 4 years and I quite like the look of some Cupra Atecas around 20 plate. This would give us some extra boot space and headroom, newer car with less miles on and maybe the option of a tow bar to put a bike rack on.

Logically I expected a few less mpg - heavier car, potential for being in 4wd, less aerodynamic but I've seen mpg listed on Parkers of 29 to 31 which alarmed me given the later Leon Cupra 290 is listed on the same site at 35 to 38. Then I looked on a thread posted on here a while ago where mpg was often low 20s.

Just wondering what sort of mpg people are getting now there's more on the forums.
I'm only 3 and a bit weeks into owning a '23 VZ2, a genuinely decent vehicle to drive. The engine produces lots of low down torque so it is easy to drive pretty swiftly relative to most other road users and still be fairly frugal with fuel, the secret being to keep the revs below 2K which is where max torque starts. So general running around away from town, 32-33mpg and a legal(ish) 200 mile round trip motorway run was 35.98mpg - actual, calculated at the pump.

The VZ Ateca' use a Haldex in the rear axle to get four wheel drive and that only wakes up when the front wheels are starting to rotate faster than the rears - that said the bevel drive at the front and the prop shaft are rotating all the time (with a small fuel usage penalty) though in essence the Ateca is mostly front-wheel drive.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.