Remaped Cupra TDi - New clutch time: anyone got this one fitted?

chopper-lew

Jan 29, 2011
Helensburgh, Scotland
Hi people.

I've been running my little Ibiza Cupra TDi for over a year now, and it's been great. It's had a fairly aggressive Revo stage 1 map fitted for most of that time making about 200 bhp and close to 300 lb/ft of torque.

Just coming up to 75,000 miles and the clutch is defiantly starting to slip in most gears at peak torque, if I plant it (which I rarely do any more to prolong what life it has left!)

I know the 'normal' replacement standard sachs clutch is rated to about the limit of what i'm making, but if I fit that I would always know its at its 'limit' and probably wont last long or handle anymore tuning if I decide to go that way. Plus I'm probably gonna be doing some serious miles this year.

So I was looking at these -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CG-Motors...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a953e06a4

CG motorsport stage 2 Kevlar.

My questions -

1. Has anyone fitted one and what is it like to drive (heavy/snatchy etc)?

2. Do I need to buy anything else (except a new flywheel which I am going to replace at the same time - have decided to stick with dual mass after much deliberation).

3. What sort of tuning would this comfortably handle. Probably the most I would go is an uprated hybrid turbo and appropriate map if mine ever fails, so 210-220 bhp maybe.

4. Can anyone recommend any similar alternatives?

5. What sort of labour charge will it be for my local indy garage to fit a clutch/flywheel?

cheers.

Badger

Dec 2, 2012
Newcastle, Staffs
You'll have to contact CG Motorsport because I think you may need to buy one of there SMF kits to fit it to, although I could be wrong.

Also the claim of 40% over the standard torque only gives you 320ft/lbs so not really much increase although, a few people have this kit fitted over on Briskoda. One had a few issues and slates them constantly but most are happy.

I had a SMF kit from Darkside which handles my 410ft/lbs nicely and takes daily abuse.

It cost me £200 for fitting.

Last edited:

Lowe

Jan 8, 2012
Newcastle Under Lyme
Badger - it's the same clutch for the Cupra and that's also listed as 40% so it might be potentially as much as 340lbs... Splitting hairs though I know pal. ;)

CG generally say that the dual friction is more than enough for a remap. I'd imagine it would cope with a turbo upgrade but can't personally comment. It's recommended that you use a SMF with the dual friction but they can make you a custom one that runs with a DMF if you ask.

Dual frictions are fine to drive. There's a tiny (and I mean virtually imperceptible) judder initially in first, other than that it feels normal.

Last edited:

Badger

Dec 2, 2012
Newcastle, Staffs
Badger - it's the same clutch for the Cupra and that's also listed as 40% so it might be potentially as much as 340lbs... Splitting hairs though I know pal. ;)

CG generally say that the dual friction is more than enough for a remap. I'd imagine it would cope with a turbo upgrade but can't personally comment. It's recommended that you use a SMF with the dual friction but they can make you a custom one that runs with a DMF if you ask.

Dual frictions are fine to drive. There's a tiny (and I mean virtually imperceptible) judder initially in first, other than that it feels normal.

Of course! Forget you've got that little extra ;) Pfft, Cupra owners...

daytona246

May 28, 2012
I have a stage 2 kevlar from CG in my PD130.

BE WARNED! MINE TOOK OVER 2000 MILES TO BED IN!!!

Other than that i have been problem free for the last 18 months so must be doing the job im running around 200HP 230-330ft/lbs

Last edited:

chopper-lew

Jan 29, 2011
Helensburgh, Scotland
Those dual friction ones actually look quite good, and if they are ok to drive and can handle the power of a remap and potentially a hybrid, im tempted to go that way. I would still consider a smf, but they do look a bit expensive from CG motorsport.

Just need to find out if a dual friction clutch can be used with a dmf or if there is a half decent smf on the market that would go with it for a better price.

chopper-lew

Jan 29, 2011
Helensburgh, Scotland
Went to my local garage at the weekend who I use for most stuff and asked for a quote to fit a supplied clutch/flywheel.

He pulled up the labour hours on his computer at just shy of 6 hours which equated to about £312! Does that not sound a bit excessive for an independent garage?

chopper-lew

Jan 29, 2011
Helensburgh, Scotland
Yeah that was VAT included.

I see Darkside do them for ££240 all in but I guess they are a dab hand at changing them by now! Bread and butter work for Diesel tuners I suppose. Bit far to travel for me to save £70 though.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise