Remedy to poor output on dipped beam...?

Aug 8, 2011
Essex
The headlights are functioning correctly but the distance on the dipped beam isn't very good at all. Comparatively to many other cars I've owned/driven it's pretty poor, last car being a Fabia.

Can this be fixed? I'm guessing it's possible to raise the heads via adjusting them in the engine bay? Anyone else agree with my concerns and/or has fixed this?

Thanks.:)

Whitechapel

Adam Hilton
May 5, 2009
York/Kingston
There are two spinning things (lol) by your right knee when sat in drivers seat, one adjusts how bright the dials are in the dash and one adjusts the lights (up and down).

Aug 8, 2011
Essex
There are two spinning things (lol) by your right knee when sat in drivers seat, one adjusts how bright the dials are in the dash and one adjusts the lights (up and down).

Oh I'm well aware of them roller switches, it's still poor in the highest setting. It's obviously a design flaw on VAG s part. Apart from an HID kit which will only improve the immediate detail of illumination is there any method of manual adjustment of the headlights?

Aug 8, 2011
Essex
As said above, there is the headlight level switch. Also could get some better quality bulbs.

Itll only improve the immediate illumination with better bulbs or HID. I'm looking to raise the headlights and point them closer to a horizontal posistion, thus increasing the length of the beam.

great_kahn

Spooge
Nov 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Itll only improve the immediate illumination with better bulbs or HID. I'm looking to raise the headlights and point them closer to a horizontal posistion, thus increasing the length of the beam.

Pretty sure there is a white screw like thing on top of the headlight unit that controls its up down etc. However, you could fail an MOT due to headlights being out of alignment.

Aug 8, 2011
Essex
Pretty sure there is a white screw like thing on top of the headlight unit that controls its up down etc. However, you could fail an MOT due to headlights being out of alignment.

Ok, I'll have a look for that :). It won't fail the MOT, they'll adjust em' if necessary beforehand.

spud31

Rail Zip User
Jul 14, 2011
Osram nightbreakers or phillips night vison plus made a massive difference on mine

Edward9th

Jul 22, 2009
Dorset
The reach of the beam on dipped isn't supposed to be long: if it's too high, it'll dazzle oncoming traffic, and anyone you pull up behind.
I like to see mine cut off on the number plate in front, not the driver's mirror.
Anyway, who does more than about 120 at night? (often!)

Aug 8, 2011
Essex
The reach of the beam on dipped isn't supposed to be long: if it's too high, it'll dazzle oncoming traffic, and anyone you pull up behind.
I like to see mine cut off on the number plate in front, not the driver's mirror.
Anyway, who does more than about 120 at night? (often!)

I'm aware that at beam angled too far can problems for the oncoming traffic. But the Ibiza s must be the shortest in dipped beam I've experienced. Personally a little daunting I find.

Modelmakerman

Mk4 Ibiza FR TDi
Apr 24, 2010
Bristol, UK
www.modelmakerman.com
Think I may have figured out why you have such poor range on your dipped beam; have you checked the bulbs are in the correct orientation?

Both my dipped beam bulbs blew the other day so I quickly popped the spares in and drove home. On the way home the range of the dipped beam was terrible to the point that there was a dark patch between the dipped and main beam when both were on. I checked the bulbs again once home and realised both were upsidedown!

The H7 fitments on these lights are rubbish, its quite difficult in the very limited space to ensure the bulbs are located and orientated correctly and its far too easy the get the clip done up and the connector on even though they arent in right.

Aug 8, 2011
Essex
Think I may have figured out why you have such poor range on your dipped beam; have you checked the bulbs are in the correct orientation?

Both my dipped beam bulbs blew the other day so I quickly popped the spares in and drove home. On the way home the range of the dipped beam was terrible to the point that there was a dark patch between the dipped and main beam when both were on. I checked the bulbs again once home and realised both were upsidedown!

The H7 fitments on these lights are rubbish, its quite difficult in the very limited space to ensure the bulbs are located and orientated correctly and its far too easy the get the clip done up and the connector on even though they arent in right.

Found the fault of problem, wasn't the bulbs. It was simply that the headlights needed adjustment in the vertical position. Raised the both of them, very pleased with the results!:)

Will bear in mind the difficulties youve had with the incorrectly fitted bulbs though.

abbotsmike

Dec 17, 2011
Uxbridge

That's intriguing. There is a really annoying gap like you say on my offside light! Go and check that in a minute.

@TheSeer:
I agree, on my current Ibiza and my last one, I found the dipped beam aim to be ludicrously low. Easily fixed by tweaking the white screws on top of the lights a couple of turns. No very scientific, but I eyeballed it on the garage door, and also been watching it on the back of other cars on the road, and it's still well below the horizontal, which is what the MOT requires
http://mottesters.co.uk/files/special notices/MOT Inspection Manual.pdf

Aug 8, 2011
Essex
That's intriguing. There is a really annoying gap like you say on my offside light! Go and check that in a minute.

@TheSeer:
I agree, on my current Ibiza and my last one, I found the dipped beam aim to be ludicrously low. Easily fixed by tweaking the white screws on top of the lights a couple of turns. No very scientific, but I eyeballed it on the garage door, and also been watching it on the back of other cars on the road, and it's still well below the horizontal, which is what the MOT requires
http://mottesters.co.uk/files/special notices/MOT Inspection Manual.pdf

Odd isn't it that a manufacturer would set up the headlights like this. As mentioned previously, it's gotta the worst for it of all the cars I've owned.

I more or less did the same as yourself except I used a country back road lacking traffic. If, when it comes to M O T that the lights require adjusting then it'll be done there and then.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Odd isn't it that a manufacturer would set up the headlights like this. As mentioned previously, it's gotta the worst for it of all the cars I've owned.

I more or less did the same as yourself except I used a country back road lacking traffic. If, when it comes to M O T that the lights require adjusting then it'll be done there and then.

One of the first things I do with any new car is pop to my local MOT station and have the lights aligned.

It is scary that people will drive around for 3 years before being told at the first MOT their lights are miles out.

abbotsmike

Dec 17, 2011
Uxbridge
One of the first things I do with any new car is pop to my local MOT station and have the lights aligned.

It is scary that people will drive around for 3 years before being told at the first MOT their lights are miles out.

I do most of my driving on country roads, and as it's now winter, mostly in the dark. I find it amazing how many cars have one light pointing at the ground, and one pointing skywards! Or just 1 working, or even none at all!!

Aug 8, 2011
Essex
I do most of my driving on country roads, and as it's now winter, mostly in the dark. I find it amazing how many cars have one light pointing at the ground, and one pointing skywards! Or just 1 working, or even none at all!!

Tell me about it, there's some right fu*k wits out there eh!:confused:

Aug 8, 2011
Essex

I've aligned mine personally, they may well be out. But on a pitch black country road with no oncoming traffic the pattern and beam look ok.

Edward9th

Jul 22, 2009
Dorset
To The Seer: You're more optimistic than I am! At one MOT, the tester said "Your lights are set a bit low, shall I reset them for you?" I accepted, only to find out when it came to paying, that I'd been charged for the 'favour'. This hurt even more, because I was on a deal which meant a free re-test if it failed, so I could have driven out, reset tham, and back in for another test.