Rust on Cupra Formentor Wheel Hubs - please help !

Jan 4, 2024
Hi All new to this forum but at a total loss as to where to go. This as my local Cupra garage & Cupra UK refuse to accept my complaint linked to how severe the rust on my wheel hubs now is after less than 3000 miles.
I have friends with the same car and not subject to this condition - can anyone please help !

IMG_3882.jpg
IMG_3883.jpg
IMG_3885 (1).jpg
IMG_3886.jpg
IMG_3887.jpg

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
It’s not that uncommon for the centre hub section of brake discs to corrode. Most car brake discs are manufactured from cast iron and the disc centre section that is bolted onto the car’s hub assembly will corrode when exposed to air and water as the thin layer of paint on that section of the disc provides limited protection against corrosion. From your pictures, I see your plastic wheel bolt covers appear to have faded from black to a mottled light grey / white - that usually happens when an unsuitable (harsh, non ph-neutral) cleaning product has been used on the wheels, which may have also caused - or contributed to - the corrosion on the hub section of your discs.

Corrosion on the hub section of the brake discs was quite a common issue with performance models of the mk7 / mk7.5 VW Golf and has been discussed on VW Golf forums over the years. Some cars seem to be more affected than others - maybe due to where the vehicle owners live - e.g. costal regions, areas of high humidity, or the types of cleaning products used. With the Golf, many owners have tackled the corrosion themselves (VW don’t consider it to be a warranty issue - especially if caused by unsuitable cleaning products) by removing the wheels, rubbing down the centre hub section of the disc and painting it with a couple of coats of either a heat resistant paint or Hammerite. It might be necessary to repaint again after a couple of years as they will probably eventually corrode again.

It would be worth checking whether the cleaning product used on your wheels is ph neutral or acid based; if the latter, then I’d recommend you consider changing to a safe ph neutral product - particularly important if your alloys are diamond cut, as most acid based wheel cleaners aren’t suitable for use on diamond cut alloys and will damage the diamond cut surface.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2024
Surely this can’t be acceptable after paying over 32k for a new car. It really looks poor & very embarrassing. I have seen dozens of the same model in my area without this condition. Some over 2 years old. - beginning to think it’s only mine?

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
What wheel cleaning products do you use, bearing in mind the change in appearance of your plastic wheel bolt covers? I’ve not had this issue with my current VW owned for almost 40 months from new - hubs still look pretty much factory fresh. Wheels only cleaned with nothing more harsh than a good quality ph neutral shampoo solution (no specific wheel cleaning products used). Same goes for the previous 4 VW’s I’ve owned - each one bought new and owned for between 4-5 years, only ph neutral washing products used and hubs remained corrosion free.

You can just about see the hub on my current car in the picture below - picture taken when the car was three years old - no corrosion; the other three hubs are pretty much the same;

IMG_1255.jpeg

Here’s another example of a Formentor with rusty hubs on the forum;

It’s not just Cupra‘s that suffer from rusty hubs - try an internet search on ‘corroding hubs on new car’ or similar search and you’ll find examples of the same with other brands of car.

Here’s a post on Honest John website from a number of years ago - BMW X3 with rusty hubs;

Reactions: Seriously?
Jan 4, 2024
Hi & thanks for your help with this.
The car is only a few months from purchased so if I am honest the wheels haven’t been exposed to any cleaning products yet.
The actual wheel bolts don’t have plastic covers either. They are actually “marble affect” & are immaculate.
My point is I cannot look at my car parked next to two friends both with exactly the same motor & accept that this is normal. There has to be something fundamentally wrong or different with my hubs for them to be so blatantly poor compared to others. The photos don’t do it justice- it’s that bad if I can’t get it addressed then the car will have to go which is sad + who will buy it looking at the hubs in this condition?
At wits end really…

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
if you look closely at your wheel bolts, the part that you can see is actually a plastic cover - like the ones in the picture below. The hex bolt shape is only in the very front edge of the cover - behind that it’s cylindrical, so it would be very difficult - if not impossible - to fit a wheel brace on to remove the wheel. There is also a recessed ridge behind the hex shape to fit the bolt cover removal tool (a bit like a large pair of tweezers). You see this better from the pictures below - from the forum sponsor’s website (@COX Motor Parts) - click on the thumbnail images to enlarge them.

IMG_1341.png IMG_1340.png IMG_0405.png

I was under the impression that all wheel bolt covers on Seat and Cupra cars were black (maybe not?) when the painted parts of the alloys were black. The discussion thread at the link below contains an image of a Seat Tarraco‘s wheel bolt covers that have discoloured / faded and they look quite similar to yours (car has been washed at one of the many hand wash car washing places).

You've not said in your earlier posts if you purchased your car new or used. If the latter, then as said in my earlier posts, an unsuitable cleaning product may have been used that has caused the fading / marbling effect on the bolt covers and has also contributed to the corrosion on your hubs. Many of the hand car wash places use very harsh (and IMHO, unsuitable) cleaning products to remove dirt quickly form customer’s vehicles to speed up the throughput of vehicles; the more cars they can clean, the more money they earn. Therefore, if you‘re not the original owner of your car, it may have been subjected to being cleaned at one of those hand car washing places, which could’ve caused your problem. The Cupra dealership you bought your car from may have used similar products when preparing your car for sale, although IMHO that’s less likely. They may have used a plastic dressing product though to hide any discolouration / marbling on the plastic bolt covers.

I can understand your annoyance and frustration. However, in your position, if your corroded hubs are the only thing that’s causing you annoyance and frustration with your car, I’d remove the corrosion, repaint the hubs and move on. If you’re not in a position to do this yourself, then it shouldn’t cost too much to get someone else to do it for you. Should you have to be faced with having to do this on a new / nearly new car? IMHO no you shouldn’t, but it will put your mind at ease and you can get on with enjoying your car.

Good luck and all the best.

Reactions: Seriously?

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
I can only echo what SRGTD says; your issue is more than likely either caused by environmental influences (maybe the car was stored for a while before sale - not uncommon during the semiconductor shortage when cars were left partially built awaiting components), or by chemicals used during washing. Too strong a solution of TFR (Traffic Film Remover) is well known to cause they greying/mottling effect on your plastic lug bolt covers.
Your brake pad retaining springs show a certain amount of oxidation also, which maybe also points to the cleaning solutions used at some point.

Reactions: SRGTD

GlekkeMatrak

Dec 22, 2020
Houtvenne, Belgium
Hi & thanks for your help with this.
The car is only a few months from purchased so if I am honest the wheels haven’t been exposed to any cleaning products yet.
The actual wheel bolts don’t have plastic covers either. They are actually “marble affect” & are immaculate.
My point is I cannot look at my car parked next to two friends both with exactly the same motor & accept that this is normal. There has to be something fundamentally wrong or different with my hubs for them to be so blatantly poor compared to others. The photos don’t do it justice- it’s that bad if I can’t get it addressed then the car will have to go which is sad + who will buy it looking at the hubs in this condition?
At wits end really…
Letting a mighty fine car go because of some harmless rust on a brake rotor would be a shame really. Just keep driving it until you need new rotors, and fit a set of black coated hub TRW rotors:

1704460070603.png

Tell

Staff member

Cupra306Form

Sep 24, 2023
I painted the hubs silver hammerite on my last but one car - they are still looking good after 15 years. I probably gave them a second coat at some stage to be fair. (Son in law has the car now)

I painted them black (hammerite smooth) on the wife's Ford KA and then Fiesta as they had rear drum brakes, and the black looks good - as Glekke suggested above. Stops the rust and looks good.

I think I'll probably do my Formentor in the summer. Oh the joys of car ownership!!

Reactions: Tell and SRGTD

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
1st world problems!
Stop looking at it an drive it. The discs will wear out before they rust away.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise