screeching noise part 2...

g1

seen plenty of other threads on here with the screeching noise etc but i cant make sense of this....when i take the car on in the mornings it makes this weird screeching, winding noise. This only opens in the mornings......after ive fin work and start the car up to go home from work its fine. Also in the mornings when it does make this weird screeching noise if i turn the engine back off and then on its fine! What could this be?!

g1

i tried turning the aircon off and starting it but still happens, only first thing in the mornings when its cold..kinda freaking me out!

dav3

devilishd4ve xbox tag
Mar 29, 2007
Essex
It sounds to me that your alternator drive belt (fan belt) is slipping. It has either got moisture on it, needs tightening or replacing.

g1

im going to prob make myself look like an idiot now but is this important to fix or could i keep driving it until its completely knackered....skint with xmas!

g1

iv booked it in the garage, new belt supplied and fitted is £25 plus vat...not 2 bad!

Its nearly xmas!

olliep

Wants a mk2 GTI
Oct 3, 2005
Winchester
is it a constant squeak? mines just started making odd noises.

sounds like ' warble-warble-warble ' instead of 'squeeeeeeak'... (nutter)

any thoughts?

Bruffy66

is it a constant squeak? mines just started making odd noises.

sounds like ' warble-warble-warble ' instead of 'squeeeeeeak'... (nutter)

any thoughts?

Mine (150TDi) does the same and on tick over the power steering 'judders'. Looking at the aux belt tensioner which seems to have a lot of 'bounce'. But this condition is only on tickover. Does this point to the automatic tensioner being u/s??

olliep

Wants a mk2 GTI
Oct 3, 2005
Winchester
Mine (150TDi) does the same and on tick over the power steering 'judders'. Looking at the aux belt tensioner which seems to have a lot of 'bounce'. But this condition is only on tickover. Does this point to the automatic tensioner being u/s??

its at stealer today so i will update tomorrow and hopefully hit two birds with one stone.

g1

update - got my aux belt done but no difference....mine isnt a screeching noise but more of a whining noise...

Exocet

May 10, 2007
hmmm, looks as if it only happens when starting from cold so possible auto-choke issue....but no where near 100% sure

g1

think it would be important to fix? it sounds as if coming from the front - right side of the engine