Seat belt warning buzzer...

Pasta Chef

Recently being having problems with my new Leon. The seat belt warning buzzer goes off and will only clear when I latch in the passenger belt. Its booked in for next week for repair(hopefully). Anyone else have the same problem?

Also when i turn right there is a grinding and scuffing noise coming from the front left wheel. Again,anyone else suffering the same probs?

Im sure the local dealer will sort them out but its a real pisser..:(

Distant Sun

Contains mild peril
Sep 9, 2005
Belfast
Is there anything sitting on the passenger seat (other than a passenger) when the buzzer goes...briefcase, shopping etc. I read on the Audi forum that the buzzer on an A3 would go off if there was a bag of shopping on the seat. There's some sort of pressure sensor or something that detects weight on the seat.

Re the steering, the A3's also have problems with noisy steering racks which are being replaced under warranty, though it's not a recall issue, they're only replaced if it happens. I assume the Leons have a similar, if not the same, rack.

Last edited:

AR-CoolC

Feb 3, 2006
Lincoln
I have exactly the same seat issue, there is another thread running with a list from a few members of their problems.

Quite a few are having this seat issue. Mine is also booked in to have it looked at.

Which reminds me, I must get on the phone to them.

SeanSE16

Yep, same here, but when I got the AA out for the engine dying on me problem (see other post somewhere) the guy cleared all the faults showing on the computer. The seat belt problem cleared up then too. Still goes off when Paul, our 2nd XV captain takes his belt off before I've stopped the car, but that is sorted by a quick slap to the head!!

And will somebody please stop this bleedin' rain - as much as I like the funky wipers on the Leon, I need some sunshine!

carl4x4

Aug 25, 2004
The seat belt sensor is annoying especially when you put a take away on the passenger seat and have to belt it in to stop the alarm going off ;)

porlus

Mine works ok. Took my mate for a spin in me new beasty, as I set off he didnt have his seat belt in. Buzzing started and got warnings on the dash. He clipped in and all was silent............ahhhhhh bliss lol.

carl4x4

Aug 25, 2004
POLKR, the way to test is if you put something heavy on the passenger seat and drive off the car should beep/chime at you.

LeakyTurnip

Mull Fember
Feb 11, 2005
N.Ireland
P0LKR said:
my cars warning doesnt work..is this common?

My Leon doesn't have one Full Stop. It would seem this was added shortly after I collected my car! I picked mine up at the start of October 05'.

Oh well, there is rarley anyone in my passenger seat and it would seem that it is one less thing to go wrong!

Pasta Chef

Pasta Chef said:
Recently being having problems with my new Leon. The seat belt warning buzzer goes off and will only clear when I latch in the passenger belt. Its booked in for next week for repair(hopefully). Anyone else have the same problem?

Also when i turn right there is a grinding and scuffing noise coming from the front left wheel. Again,anyone else suffering the same probs?

Im sure the local dealer will sort them out but its a real pisser..:(

Just been to the local Seat dealer,the problem with the grinding scuffing noise is the strut bearing?! Not being mechanically minded,am I right to assume its something to do with the suspension?? Anyway they are ordering parts for repair next week.
As for the seat belt buzzer problem,it stopped playing up yesterday...sods law and all that.
Ill keep you posted incase some of you have the same problems.
Cheerio.

HarryKatinnen

Picked up my 2.0 TDI Sport in April - Drove 10 mins down the road and ESP and Tyre Pressure warning lights came on. Back in the dealership for 4 days - finally determined it was a loose connection. All sorted now...except the car has developed the seat belt warning light problem but only intermittent. Also one or two rattles in the dash on acceleration. Apart from that I'm lovin it especially the handling and acceleration and fuel economy - over 500 miles a tank with mixed driving (the Subaru Impreza WRX I had previously could only manage 260 and was less involving to drive) Looking foward to trying the Diesel FR!

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
I was wondering about this last week, i dont have any sort of seat belt warning at all :confused: Car was registered 01.01.06.

Should i have one?:confused:

Joe Public

My girlfriend picked up a brand new Leon 2.0 TDi Sport (luna grey) this week, and it's a lovely car.
However, it's suffering from the seat belt chime problem as described above, suggesting someone is sitting in the passenger seat when it's empty.
Is there a way of turning the chime off completely - I once had a Mondeo and you could disable the seat belt chime by a certain combination of switching the ignition on and fastening and un-fastening the seat belt (which was described in the manual).
Obviously, she could take it back to the dealer, but it's a 50 mile round trip and she needs the car for work (she's a district nurse).

paxman21

You guys who haven't got warning system think yourself lucky, I wish I didn't have it, bloody big brother telling you what to do all the time, If I wanna £30 fine I'll decide thanks car!

I do like the motor though, well pleased!

If anyone knows how to turn seatbelt warning off please share!

Pax

kirky1984

Apr 17, 2006
Th problem with the seat belt warning buzzer is a faulty membrane in the passenger seat which sets off the buzzer at random times even when there is nothing on the seat. My car went in last week for the problem and that is what they told me. They ordered the new membrane so it'll get fixed soon. It's all done under warranty anyway.

Dave S

Jan 7, 2012
Norn Iron
My seatbelt warning has a mind of its own and starts bleeping when everyone has their belts on. I have to shake the driver's seatbelt buckle to turn it off again... Seriously annoying

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.