Shocks and brakes advice

Jan 27, 2024
Hello, first time poster. This is my first seat (cupra 300 2018) and dealership have told me my front shocks are starting to leak and need replacing and also front and rear discs and pads...at an expensive sum...

I did some googling and saw that a) the front shocks are known to mist and not be of too much concern and b) dealerships can try it on lol. So I'm initially getting a 2nd opinion before anything else.

Dealer also said that there aren't currently any replacement shocks available anywhere in Europe so would be more to order. More Google and I see Monroe do a product for DCC suspension if I recall correctly.

Really, I'm looking for:
1) the best aftermarket solution IF I need new shocks.
2) I'm now tempted to get it lowered at the same time...so advice there too.
3) if the discs and pads need doing, what good options are out there so as to not totally skint me?

I realise its a performance car, I've had performance cars for as long as I remember and I don't want to diminish its fun and value but I also don't want to skint myself for something I might not even see any improvement or benefit on.

Thanks.

andy2max

Feb 16, 2023
I bought my Cupra 300 last January on 44000 miles and the front shocks had been replaced prior, it seems the standard DCC shocks don’t seem to last as long as non DCC ones. (At least on cars I owned)
Just had mine serviced and MOT’d and been told the front discs and pads are coming up to be changed, I couldn’t believe the £750 is quite, I’ll probably change myself or take it to an independent.

Reactions: opl300
Jan 27, 2024
Hmm similar mileage to me then. Even if the dealership are straight up, if there aren't any shocks available in Europe (he said made to order) then the car will have to wait anyway. Or I get non OEM.

Yeah similar quote to me then mate. Although all green lights on the service sheet health check haha.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
For your brakes:
For discs I would find the OE numbers and search for that, sometimes I can find OE discs at good prices.
If you can't find a good deal on OE discs I would search for the cheapest discs I can find which are R90 approved, are coated and HC (high carbon) (R90 should guarantee the machining is good - not at OE levels; but ok)

For pads I would find the OE numbers and search for that - I can often find OE pads for similar price to decent aftermarket pads - and the OE pads are better quality;
Fine blanked back plates
Unique friction material optimised/tested on that application.
Unique anti-noise shims
vs Aftermarket
Conventionally stamped back plates (worse accuracy/fitting)
Generic friction material (some big names even only use 2x friction materials to cover their entire European catalogue! so Transit and a Mini would have the same friction!)
Rubbish shim.

If you can't find a good deal on the OE pads - go for an aftermarket pad from a friction manufacturer - NOT the brake system manufacturer. (brake systems brands don't make any pads - friction manufactures make the pads)

Reactions: opl300
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.