Do DCC shocks require coding?

Apr 8, 2021
Sorry might be a bit of a stupid question but my passenger front shock is leaking so needs replacing on my cupra 300 which of course has DCC - I have been quoted £450 fitted but found an aftermarket monroe shock for £145 which looks like the part I need - I was just wondering if the shocks are coded to the car or not? I was hoping I can just straight swap and the car will be okay with it?

I've been caught out by coding in the past so thought it would be worth asking

Thanks

Reactions: serdar_18fr

serdar_18fr

May 29, 2021
Sorry might be a bit of a stupid question but my passenger front shock is leaking so needs replacing on my cupra 300 which of course has DCC - I have been quoted £450 fitted but found an aftermarket monroe shock for £145 which looks like the part I need - I was just wondering if the shocks are coded to the car or not? I was hoping I can just straight swap and the car will be okay with it?

Thanks

I looked at Leon workshop manual titled "Running gear, axles, steering".

Section 3.1 "Assembly overview - suspension strut, upper suspension link" has instructions on how to remove/install shocks.
DCC was mentioned there just once, for unplugging/plugging the electrical connector, nothing about coding after installing new ones.

However, there's an instruction to perform basic setting procedure for vehicle level senders using the diagnostics device :

– On vehicles with vehicle level sender, carry out basic setting ⇒ Vehicle diagnostic tester.

Not sure which cars have those vehicle level senders.
Probably the ones which has automatic leveling headlights, so it may have nothing to do with DCC.
But in the end, you'll be replacing the shocks so it looks like performing that procedure on your car would be needed, assuming it has those senders.

ej_290

Sep 13, 2021

Thanks
I'm pretty certain that Monroe shock is not a DCC, try seat direct parts.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Monroe DCC shocks are the original equipment on the Leon.

They have recently been made available aftermarket rather than getting stung by stealer prices.

Reactions: ej_290

Rusty2k

May 12, 2013
Monroe DCC shocks are the original equipment on the Leon.

They have recently been made available aftermarket rather than getting stung by stealer prices.

This doesn't mean they are identical though. The aftermarket ones are likely to be a generic configuration to be broadly suitable across a range of several models which may have specific individual configurations from the factory.

jt20vt

Sep 17, 2010
I might be wrong but from my experience with the dcc shocks they just operate depending what the profile file has written. With my Leon ST 300 4drive eastyorkshireretrofits were testing out the Formentor super sport steering wheel, they had to use a Tiguan R profile on the car to keep engine setup the same as the drive mode button was going to work off the steering wheel button but mk3 leon didn't have this feature. This made the shocks change the ride height and how they operated as they work in tandem.

They had more travel on the shocks than standard just from the software change as the Tiguan R is setup differently. The car was returned to standard and so the shocks went back to normal.
As I said I might be mistaken but thats my experience. So if you fit the monroe shocks they will work the same as they are just a generic shock set depending on the vehicles software.

Last edited:

serdar_18fr

May 29, 2021
I might be wrong but from my experience with the dcc shocks they just operate depending what the profile file has written. With my Leon ST 300 4drive eastyorkshireretrofits were testing out the Formentor super sport steering wheel, they had to use a Tiguan R profile on the car to keep engine setup the same. This made the shocks change the ride height and how they operated as they work in tandem. They had more travel on the shocks than standard just from the software change as the Tiguan R is setup differently. The car was returned to standard and so the shocks went back to normal.
As I said I might be mistaken but thats my experience. So if you fit the monroe shocks they will work the same as they are just a generic shock set depending on the vehicles software.

The only thing that can be altered by software is valve openings/closings so more/less fluid pass from the valve, hence soft/hard ride. So it is possible for the shocks to operate depending on the model but shocks can't change the ride height depending on the profile or anything else.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.