Mk3 Leon FR front end gets disturbed too much on road imperfections?

serdar_18fr

May 29, 2021
Hi everyone,
I just wanted to ask about other FR owners' experiences.

This is a subject that bothers me a little since I bought the car in May 2021. It had around 23k kilometers on the odometer at the time and there were factory-mounted Bridgestone Turanzas on it. I kept them for 20k kms more but I found them noisy and a little weak in terms of roadholding and replaced with Continental Sport Contact 5s, which is a tire I used & liked a lot in the past.

The chassis is the factory-spec lowered FR, meaning stiffer & 15 mm shorter springs and thicker anti-roll bar at the front, along with the optional DCC shocks. Also 225/40/18 tires are factory-spec too.

What I find a little odd is that the car's front end gets disturbed when passing over road imperfections at moderate & high speeds, like over 50 or 60 km/h. It sways to one side and then to the other, then gathers itself without any problems. Tire replacement did not change anything. Not sure if this swaying is too much and enough to get worried or if it is normal, but I don't remember anything like this with my previous car, an '07 Opel Corsa Sport, that I owned for 14 years, with factory-spec lowered & stiffer chassis and the same CSC5 tires, only with the smaller size of 215/45/17s, so similar setup with my Leon in regard to the running gear (no active dampers of course). It always felt like a train going on its tracks and no swaying at all. This behaviour in Leon hampers my driving pleasure a little bit, something I don't expect in an upper segment car with some more modern hardware. On the other hand, I thought that if this could be an intentional setup, for some more playability and giving the driver more feel, which my previous car lacked a bit.

Any thoughts on this will be appreciated, thanks & regards.

Sent from my 23013PC75G using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Assuming the shocks are not leaking and are working correctly.

I found that a front strut brace helped to calm the front of my 300 Cupra.

No reason why it would not have the same effect on an FR with DCC

Reactions: serdar_18fr

serdar_18fr

May 29, 2021
Assuming the shocks are not leaking and are working correctly.

I found that a front strut brace helped to calm the front of my 300 Cupra.

No reason why it would not have the same effect on an FR with DCC
What was it like before strut brace was installed?
Was it anything similar to the behaviour I tried to describe?

gege28

May 1, 2022
for owning a cupra st 4drive dcc from 2019 I confirm your words, the original shock absorbers are dangerous at high speed because too much rebound, at low speed it pitches and bounces, the imperfections of the road are very my filtered, I have installed from Bilstein B16 and it no longer has anything to do with it, no more rebound and no more noise in the passenger compartment

serdar_18fr

May 29, 2021
for owning a cupra st 4drive dcc from 2019 I confirm your words, the original shock absorbers are dangerous at high speed because too much rebound, at low speed it pitches and bounces, the imperfections of the road are very my filtered, I have installed from Bilstein B16 and it no longer has anything to do with it, no more rebound and no more noise in the passenger compartment
Thanks for your input. It would be great to have a coilover kit but it is too big of a change for me. I'd better try to find a simpler solution, if there's any of course.

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
Hi everyone,
I just wanted to ask about other FR owners' experiences.

This is a subject that bothers me a little since I bought the car in May 2021. It had around 23k kilometers on the odometer at the time and there were factory-mounted Bridgestone Turanzas on it. I kept them for 20k kms more but I found them noisy and a little weak in terms of roadholding and replaced with Continental Sport Contact 5s, which is a tire I used & liked a lot in the past.

The chassis is the factory-spec lowered FR, meaning stiffer & 15 mm shorter springs and thicker anti-roll bar at the front, along with the optional DCC shocks. Also 225/40/18 tires are factory-spec too.

What I find a little odd is that the car's front end gets disturbed when passing over road imperfections at moderate & high speeds, like over 50 or 60 km/h. It sways to one side and then to the other, then gathers itself without any problems. Tire replacement did not change anything. Not sure if this swaying is too much and enough to get worried or if it is normal, but I don't remember anything like this with my previous car, an '07 Opel Corsa Sport, that I owned for 14 years, with factory-spec lowered & stiffer chassis and the same CSC5 tires, only with the smaller size of 215/45/17s, so similar setup with my Leon in regard to the running gear (no active dampers of course). It always felt like a train going on its tracks and no swaying at all. This behaviour in Leon hampers my driving pleasure a little bit, something I don't expect in an upper segment car with some more modern hardware. On the other hand, I thought that if this could be an intentional setup, for some more playability and giving the driver more feel, which my previous car lacked a bit.

Any thoughts on this will be appreciated, thanks & regards.

I have a 2016MY FR ST with no DCC and 17" wheels and I have never noticed anything like that, could the DCC cause your problem? Can you turn it off or try different settings?

serdar_18fr

May 29, 2021
I have a 2016MY FR ST with no DCC and 17" wheels and I have never noticed anything like that, could the DCC cause your problem? Can you turn it off or try different settings?
There are two driving modes I use out of five available. One is Sport, where all settings including DCC are set to Sport, and the other is Individual, where I set Engine to Normal, Steering to Sport and DCC to Comfort. The problem occurs in both DCC settings (Comfort and Sport). DCC's other possible setting is Normal which sits in between the other two. I didn't test it with this situation. I'll try that

Last edited:
Reactions: Walone

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
When my rear dampers failed it sounded similar to what your experiencing - gave a weird roll sensation.
New rear dampers cured this for me. Now my front dampers have gone I think as i'm getting a similar sensation.

serdar_18fr

May 29, 2021
When my rear dampers failed it sounded similar to what your experiencing - gave a weird roll sensation.
New rear dampers cured this for me. Now my front dampers have gone I think as i'm getting a similar sensation.
Never suspected of dampers, but I guess I need to start by checking them first. Thanks.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise