Should I stick with my 18" RS4's or should i go back to 17"s

Cupra TDI 150

Sep 25, 2007
Hi guys

Help!!! I've currently got 18" Audi 9 spoke RS4/TT Quattro on my Cupra TDI but am seriously debating whether to go back to 17's.

I was given a lift by mate in his S4 the other night and it seemed so much smoother and not so crashy as mine, it had the original 17's on it which had the same profile tyres as my original wheels.

So the question is do I stay with the 18's or do I try and find some OE 17" versions of my current wheels?

Duncan

Aug 24, 2007
I agree, the ride quality on 18's is pretty harsh. My LC will be having the 17's refitted as soon as possible. The ride is better and the 18's will be saved for show season :)

SalSheikh

Under the Hood
Sep 2, 2009
Midlands, UK
could it be that the suspension is stiffer in your cars?

my previous motor a golf mk3 had really stiff bilstien sports shocks and the ride was horrible on 17's in that. My Leons ride is firm but much better and thats on 18's.

Jerry*

Aug 12, 2009
Leeds
Yeah, I think you should go back to 17s and sell those tasty RS4 alloys to me (I'm after a set for my Missus' Golf GT TDi mk4) for a steady price! :D :p

J:)

gezmeister

I need a derv!!
Apr 1, 2008
Norwich
believe its to do with the tyre wall profile , the lower it goes the harsher it is , if your on 185 65 14s guess what its like a sofa , but when your running say 35 profiles its alot crashier

Couldn't have put it better myself :)

Lower profile will make for a harsh ride, any lower than a 40 profile will give you grief on our roads, especially on 18"s. My LC is lovely at the moment on its standard 16" cupra rims with 205/55/16, but i'm still gonna go bigger wheel and lower profile tyre combo :D

Mr OCD

May 1, 2008
Manchester, UK
Couldn't have put it better myself :)

Lower profile will make for a harsh ride, any lower than a 40 profile will give you grief on our roads, especially on 18"s. My LC is lovely at the moment on its standard 16" cupra rims with 205/55/16, but i'm still gonna go bigger wheel and lower profile tyre combo :D

Same here... got 205/55/16 but installing 225/45/17 shortly... if I dont like it then will revert but would have thought it would be fine considering most Cupras run this size.

gezmeister

I need a derv!!
Apr 1, 2008
Norwich
Same here... got 205/55/16 but installing 225/45/17 shortly... if I dont like it then will revert but would have thought it would be fine considering most Cupras run this size.

Yeah, may be going for 17"s myself, just a temporary measure until i get some 18"s i think. Or another really nice set of 18"s :D

Aug 24, 2007
Might have to get both then, then on the day decide if i wanna handle good or look good :cartman:

worth doing ;)

The car handles better and accelerates quicker on the smaller wheels but looks far too standard compared to the 18's.

leesmith

hated my lc on 18"went back to 17"and its great.our roads are so bad in berks thats the problem!18"look better though.

Cupra TDI 150

Sep 25, 2007
Thanx guys for your input, think i've made my mind up. Just need to find some 17's, don't really want to put my standard LC starfish alloys back on. Do i go for 17" versions of the RS4 or do i try and find some S4 6 spoke rims. Jerry* will have to see what we can do!

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
If you have tired suspension components this will not help the rough ride.
Even if you change back to 17's the worn suspension components will still be there.
I'd say freshen up suspension first before changing the alloys

SRStdi

Aug 18, 2008
Think i saw some S4 wheels on here in the for sale section???

Anyways 17's would be more comfortable but Rs4 17's dont look right............

cuprabod

Mar 24, 2003
Cheshire
My cupra was lowered and with 18" wheels when i got it and it looked the business but the ride was too harsh.I live in an area with speed bumps and crap pot holed roads:cry: so i have put the standard springs back on and gone back to 17" wheels,it is much better and no more grinding over speed bumps or crashing down pot holes,i feel much more relaxed now when driving:happy:

kewe

Jun 20, 2001
Edinburgh
Visit site
I have 18's on my V5 which I would imagine has a softer suspension than the LC or LCR?
Even so I spend all my time dodging pot holes as the ride is so harsh. But to me they're worth it as 17's just don't look big enough imho.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.