Silica bag removed - losing coolant

tommytucker

Oct 28, 2012
Got rid of the silica bag in my coolant tank a few weeks ago but keep getting coolant light on 3 x in all. Topped it up but think it’s just a coincidence and it’s more serious. How do you know if it’s the thermostat housing/water pump? Seat cupra 300 2018

GringAddict

Dec 22, 2023
Manchester, UK
Got rid of the silica bag in my coolant tank a few weeks ago but keep getting coolant light on 3 x in all. Topped it up but think it’s just a coincidence and it’s more serious. How do you know if it’s the thermostat housing/water pump? Seat cupra 300 2018
Check the system by taking out the thermostat. It will run cool but tell you if it is that. Test in boiling water and see if it opens, but best to fit a new one anyway. A bad water pump will usually be noisy and leak coolant of course, have you noticed any noises whining or squealing or erratic engine activity? Have you tried to identify exactly where this leak is coming from as that’ll help of course.
I’d be very surprised if it was because of a coolant gel pack, it’s more likely considering you took the bottle out that the hose just isn’t on right, have you checked that?

tommytucker

Oct 28, 2012
Check the system by taking out the thermostat. It will run cool but tell you if it is that. Test in boiling water and see if it opens, but best to fit a new one anyway. A bad water pump will usually be noisy and leak coolant of course, have you noticed any noises whining or squealing or erratic engine activity? Have you tried to identify exactly where this leak is coming from as that’ll help of course.
I’d be very surprised if it was because of a coolant gel pack, it’s more likely considering you took the bottle out that the hose just isn’t on right, have you checked that?
Yea thank you Gringaddict
checked hoses and all tight.Car not making any strange noises or erratic engine issues. There is a pool of lIquid on the protector tray - see below. I was out last night and the roads here were very wet so not sure if it’s just that. Ok I’ll search on here to see if there’s a thread on how to change thermostat so can start to narrow it down. I agree that it is unlikely to be the coolant silica bag removal but I never had a warning light throw when it was in- probably coincidence.
IMG_0158.jpeg
IMG_0158.jpeg

TheSwede

Oct 20, 2018
Sweden
You have the EA888 engine. I have removed the silica bag before Christmas on 3 cars, Leon Cupra R 310, Cupra 300 and Golf Alltrack all have EA888 engine. Very small risk for coolant leaks because of that!

The thermostat / water pump unit is rather complicated to remove. I would say if you remove it, you replace it with a new. The unit is placed under the intake manifold made of black plastic in front of the engine.

See it dripping in this video:

Thermostat / water pump unit:

This unit sometimes start lose coolant. Then you will find the leak when you look from under and up under the intake manifold in front of the engine. You have to remove the plastic cover under the engine. Look for purple / orange liquid.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/7whouE04s6U

The wet part in your pic i guess is water comming from the wheel arch or the front /rain?.

This happened to us two times, once for a Golf R mk 7 and once for my sons Leon Cupra 2019. The unit was replaced on both cars. Covered by the machine insurance.

Last edited:
Reactions: GringAddict

GringAddict

Dec 22, 2023
Manchester, UK
You have the EA888 engine. I have removed the silica bag before Christmas on 3 cars, Leon Cupra R 310, Cupra 300 and Golf Alltrack all have EA888 engine. Very small risk for coolant leaks because of that!

The thermostat / water pump unit is rather complicated to remove. I would say if you remove it, you replace it with a new. The unit is placed under the intake manifold made of black plastic in front of the engine.

See it dripping in this video:

Thermostat / water pump unit:

This unit sometimes start lose coolant. Then you will find the leak when you look from under and up under the intake manifold in front of the engine. You have to remove the plastic cover under the engine. Look for purple / orange liquid.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/7whouE04s6U

The wet part in your pic i guess is water comming from the wheel arch or the front /rain?.

This happened to us two times, once for a Golf R mk 7 and once for my sons Leon Cupra 2019. The unit was replaced on both cars. Covered by the machine insurance.
I was also thinking the same just water maybe as he said it was wet outside so puddles and stuff will do that. To OP: have another look in the morning see if it is still there, and if it is then dip your finger in or put a tissue on the end of a stick and dip it down then you’ll be able to identify the liquid itself :)

Either way it’s all a learning process and we will get to the bottom of it eventually together with you, I’ve been working on cars for around 15 years now and I still learn new things all the time. The way I see it is long as you find that fun (more often than not) then any processes of elimination and even failed diagnostics are just learning curves and will serve you well for next time! I know that’s not helpful right now and I don’t want it to come across the wrong way either so I hope you understand 🙏PS I forgot what mileage is the car on now?

TheSwede

Oct 20, 2018
Sweden
The water you have in engine bay. You can taste it very carefully on the tip of the tongue, should be a little sweet if it's coolant. Spit it out immediately, it's poisonous!! Rinse your mouth.

Normally never take it in your mouth.

cuthound

Jan 26, 2024
The water you have in engine bay. You can taste it very carefully on the tip of the tongue, should be a little sweet if it's coolant. Spit it out immediately, it's poisonous!! Rinse your mouth.

Normally never take it in your mouth.

Many antifreezes (all in the US) and screenwashes contain an additive called "Bitrex" (denatonium benzoate), which makes it taste very bitter. It is intended to stop children and animals from accidentally drinking it

tommytucker

Oct 28, 2012
Thanks all - I’ll take a look the weekend- dark when I get. In the video - it says that a yellow warning light comes on - mine has always been red warning/ text saying coolant low etc Is it still ok to drive when that warning as I have always thought red means stop and pull over? So if you take the engine cover off - can you see the leaks without taking the water pump / housing off as I think that’s a bit beyond my skill level. Don’t want to get it off and then struggle to refit. If it is that how much are we talking about supply and fitted? In terms of mileage it’s about 66K but I don’t have much history so it could be an original part I guess. Yea I’ll get a stick down there and have a look but won’t be tasting it😂😂

TheSwede

Oct 20, 2018
Sweden
On my sons Cupra it was easy to see the leak after removing the under tray.
Replacing pump housing unit is rather complicated job. I didnt do it by my self on any of our cars. Both of them (Cupra and Golf R) were about 1000 km from home up north in the middle of the winter.....

Reactions: tommytucker

tommytucker

Oct 28, 2012
Cheers Swede yea I’ll take the under tray off and have a look.Did you go for an original part and roughly how much fitted?

TheSwede

Oct 20, 2018
Sweden
For the Golf R i think the whole invoice was about 1300 eur. This car didn leak, the temperature just got very high.

Took a tow truck to a work shop since it was big risk to drive on.

TheSwede

Oct 20, 2018
Sweden
PS it was repaired by a vw/seat dealer. At that time my son had taken over the Golf R. After 11 months this new pump started to leak. The repair was under warranty so there was no cost for the second repair...... :).

Tonythepony

Feb 5, 2023
If you dont have any heating in the car when you put your blower on its the heater matrix which is fiddly but straightforward to replace

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.