sony head unit CDX-gt929u

ric25_78

hi all,

I have a 54 plate lcr and have just fitted this head unit, i rigged it all up using supplied wiring harness and works fines, keeps its memory but doesnt turn on or off with the ignition, it has an auto off feature so when i press off it shut down leaving just the clock on then 30 secs later it all shuts off.

I would prefer it to turn off with the ignition but am unsure how to do this, anyone know what to do please

thanks ric

Gordz

Caught The Mod Bug Again!
May 31, 2007
North East
Different make (Pioneer), but to get mine to come on with ignition it was just trial and error with switching wires around etc. Just try connecting wires up differently and see what works!

ric25_78

cheers for the replies,

on the harness theres a red wire and a yellow wire each with a bullet fitting on end, these both feed into one yellow wire. i tried swapping these over but it made no difference.
a guy at work has a meter so gonna try to find the ignition live anyone know what colour this usually is?

LEE69

Stage 2 Revo'd
Dec 10, 2004
C\UK\Devon\Torquay
cheers for the replies,

on the harness theres a red wire and a yellow wire each with a bullet fitting on end, these both feed into one yellow wire.

That's wrong the red and yellow should each have there own power, then if it doesn't hold memory you swap the red and yellow over.

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
cheers for the replies,

on the harness theres a red wire and a yellow wire each with a bullet fitting on end, these both feed into one yellow wire. i tried swapping these over but it made no difference.
a guy at work has a meter so gonna try to find the ignition live anyone know what colour this usually is?

Sure you swapped them over the right way? I have a Sony cdx-gt33u, swapped the wires over on the enclosed harness and it works fine.

ric25_78

That's wrong the red and yellow should each have there own power, then if it doesn't hold memory you swap the red and yellow over.

Thats what threw me:confused: so regardless which way round the red/yellow wires are it always keeps it memory. the stereo is second hand of ebay so maybe wrong harness but it works fine except having to turn it off yourself.

In the manual its called auto off feature so its meant to do it maybe as a reminder to take of the front when you get out! its a pain if just nipping in a shop for 5 mins tho

ric25_78

so if i connect it to the switched live because the red/yellow runs to one feed when i turn off the ignition it wont keep it memory even if i swap the wires, am i on the right track?
i think i either need to run another wire in or just buy a new harness of ebay.

thanks ric

LEE69

Stage 2 Revo'd
Dec 10, 2004
C\UK\Devon\Torquay
No, if you connect the red and yellow to the car loom as it should be, it should keep the memory but chanes are the stereo will not switch off.
My alpine or pioneer i have had installed, i always had to remove the face to turn them off, or prsss the stereo's off button manually.

ric25_78

ok thanks for your help, hopefully wont be busy at work tonight so il have a play

ric25_78

managed to sort it, disconnected red wire from the connector and wired into switched live, it now turns off with key!

PSX

Sep 20, 2009
If you're anything like me, here's a tip.. turning the key all the way to 'off' from engine running does not kill power to the stereo (CD/radio keeps playing). In the same way that the auto-locked doors don't auto-unlock until you actually remove the key for the ignition, the same applies to the stereo! I won't say how many hours it took to realise this while installing a Sony head unit in my LCR :p

Alex

ric25_78

If you're anything like me, here's a tip.. turning the key all the way to 'off' from engine running does not kill power to the stereo (CD/radio keeps playing). In the same way that the auto-locked doors don't auto-unlock until you actually remove the key for the ignition, the same applies to the stereo! I won't say how many hours it took to realise this while installing a Sony head unit in my LCR :p

Alex

you got me thinking now, just been outside and tried it, i never realised:blink:

It would stay on all the time unless i turned it off, for some reason to two live wires from the bck of the unit were wired to a 2/1 way connector thus meaning nothing ws feeding the switched live on the car. once i connected one of these to the switched live it now turns off with the key.:)