Specific Rear Footwell leak ?

Norm!24

Hi all ... Great thread below on Toledo wet floors !

I have an '04 1.8SE 20V. Just a few days ago, noticed the rear screen very misty. Sure enough a soaking splish splash rear offside footwell. All other 3 footwells are dry.

Has anyone else had this specific problem ? ... better still has anyone else cured this problem ? :confused:

Thanks ... Norm

Dantonks

yes i have a simlar problem.

the near side door internal panel was full of water.

i lifted the panel a fraction off the door and the water drained out.

i will have to see if i can take the whole door panel off to find the problem.

it is propbally somthing to do with the membrain in the door panel.

Norm!24

Hi Dan ... I think in your case you need to check the drain holes on the underside of the door. There are about 3 of them and they can be accessed by pulling the door seal back a bit. They can get blocked and lead to the door filling up.

My drain holes are clear ... the water is getting in somewhere else ... anyone any ideas ?

:cry:

Thanks,

Norm.

Saul

<b>SCN Admin</b>
May 21, 2001
the actual door seals couldbe faulty, and/or window seals?

Norm!24

Thanks Saul and Ol' Timer,

Can you explain the 'door ancillary carriers' ?

The door seal around the rear door looks in great condition. It's hard to see how water can get in ... though it must be somewhere !

Even if water gets past the plastic door material / metal door seal, this would still be outside the main rubber seal.

:confused:

Thanks ... Norm

Ol' Timer

Jun 20, 2004
Norfolk
They no longer use a membrane to cover access to the inside of the door. Instead there is now a sort of watertight cassette which contains the electrical components for the central locking and electric windows. This is the ancillaries carrier. This is sealed against the inner door panel to prevent water entering the car. Unfortunately the original seals were of a foam material and this deteriorated and crumbled, letting water through, where it would run down between the metal door panel and the door cards. The door seals would prevent it draining to the outside of the car and it would slowly trickle down into the car and be absorbed by the carpets and soundproofing.

The cure is to remove the foam seals, clean up the area and replace them with a special mastic seal supplied by SEAT.

You can test whether they are leaking by opening the door, drying off the area below the door cards and then using a watering can to run water down the outside of the window glass. You should be able to see any water seeping out from beneath the doors cards. A piece of clean kitchen towel might help to show up any leaks.

Norm!24

Excellent advice OT !

I think I know how I'm going to spend a couple of days before the year is out.

Is there a B&Q version of this mastic or is it best to get the proper stuff ?

Thanks again ... Norm :)

Ol' Timer

Jun 20, 2004
Norfolk
I think the mastic seal is a bespoke item supplied by SEAT as a warranty fix. I haven't actually seen it as all my Leon doors were sorted by my dealer under warranty. If you study the link I posted in my first reply you will get a better idea of what is involved in removing the panel. I think it's a bit tricky and it might be worth having a word with your dealer if you establish that the seals are the problem.

Sam20v

Nov 8, 2003
Dubai UAE
Visit site
Fortunately non of my interior has become wet yet, however the front passenger door seems to Pond the water at the bottom, releasing it when the door is opened, or on one occasion dribbling onto the footwell mat when a heavy left turn was undertaken :whistle:
think there is a blockage, so will have to get it sorted before onset of rust methinks :(

Norm!24

Thanks again Ol Timer ... I'm still within warranty, so perhaps a visit to my dealer with all this info would be the best approach.
:thumbup:
Yes Sam, the drain holes in the door underside can block, perhaps even with wax injected during production to protect the door. I have 3x oblong holes and 6x small round hoes in the door underside.

Norm. :)

SJFISHER67

Are you talkin' to me?
I had this same problem with my Leon a couple of years back. I took it back to get fixed and it still leaked after. I took the door card off myself and noticed that they had only put this mastic stuff to the bottom half of the ancillary carrier. Needless to say I took it back and demanded they did it properly.

You could use silicone as well if you were to do it yourself.

mac re

mine did the same end of last year seat charged me £8 for a seal and 3 hours labour :cry:
well happy though it has stoped the wet foor
and it has stayed dry since. :)
if i was told how much it was, and where it was i would have done the thing my self :censored:
i mean i had to change passengers regulator in the summer that wasnt hard and Seat were going to charge me £160 for that :worship:

Last edited by a moderator:

mac re

there are 2 seals in your doors,(that iv been told about) which belive it or not let in loads of water
thay cost £8 and it you go to seat thay will charge you loads[:@]
i would check your seals in your door
to dry out you need to take most interior stuff out thats every thing matts/ carpets
the lot hang out and dry but this is quite a lot :cry:
the other option is to place car in dry garage heated if you can and place heater in car for ass long as poss that should dry it out!:lol:

iv been told that what some car places do it turn yourcar on then run your heaters on your car for as long as poss ussing your fuel nice ay:censored:
well hope this helps
carl

Eagle Eyes

I discovered the same damp footwell a couple of weeks ago and noticed the suspicious looking water on the driver door sill. Checked the drain holes which were running clear, but removed the bottom door seal and cut small v shaped chunks where the drain holes were cut out on the seal just to ' assist' !

This didn't help :cry: so looked on here and found the following techie help.

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=44216&highlight=door+seals

Got some silicone out of B&Q (indoor-outdoor weatherproof £8) and done the job, which was easy. Noticed the difference right away. The old foam seal had simply disentegrated. I would try and leave door card off for a day to let the stuff dry and you can check what kind of seal you have made. Also remember to clip the door handle cable back into its holder on the inside - oops.

Just to dry out now.......

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise