Speed cams and personal POIs

bcr5784

Mar 25, 2016
I have been trying to find a way to get speed camera warnings into the Sat Nav on my new FR and I came across this which I've tried and works. It's for the Golf but works for the Seat and although the site it uses is in German it's easy enough to follow with the instructions that I found :

It's in a few places but basically its like this.

Get your up to date speed cam database on the computer (I have a subscription to pocket GPS world), in the correct format for the Navi (I use *.asc files). The good thing about Pocket GPS world, is when you download the speed camera database, it also downloads the .bmp picture icons as well.

With the database at hand, nip over to the following address on the VW Germany site (this is for the Pro Nav), and it will open the Navi companion site.

http://www.volkswagen.de/de/navigati...-sammlung.html

Then using the on line app you load each one of the database at a time (for instance Gatso 30 mph) in the upper part of the box.

In the second line, give this database a name (what it will show up as on the Nav), and in the last line browse for the .bmp icon file for each camera.

Then clicking the small requester bottom left, adds this to your waiting list, and you can repeat this step for as many POI's as you want. For instance I added - Gatso 30, 40, 50 & 60, Specs 30, 40, 50 & 60, and red light cameras.

Finally when you have created your list, hit the button in the lower right corner give your collection a name, and this creates a zip file for you.

Extract this zip file to the root of an SD card. It will create a folder called PersonalPOI and a single text file (you need both).

Then insert the SD card into one of the cars SD slots, go to set-up, software information, and click "software update". It will search the SD cards and add your POI's onto the Nav, where you can then select them as POI's to display.

The whole process took about 30 minutes earlier. If you get stuck, just go to google translate and translate the Navi companion as it contains on screen (albeit by default in German), all the instructions.

Hope this helps.

A point to note is that the Sat Nav only allows display of 10 POI types on the map so I wouldn't use speed cameras divided into different speeds. You will, of course have to be a subscriber to Pocket GPS world to use their database - but if you submit a new camera then you get a year's subscription free.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members