Ateca - Maps Update Gone Wrong - HELP

Tell

Staff member
The v8 is an original card. I've backed it up. Im using a different sd card, not rewiting the original. I've copied the new unzipped maps and copied overall.nds file from the v8 backup to the new card.
It has to be a map card not a standard SD card. It reads the CID off the card. All Vag map cards are interchangeable the unit knows it's a Vag card so allows. Not a VAG mapcard, it wont work for navigation with standard firmware. Some people get their units hacked but just as good to use VAG cards.

If you have two Vag maps cards and experimenting that's where you need to put the long hold in on the on/off to cause a reboot else it misread what you put in.

Jan 18, 2024
It has to be a map card not a standard SD card. It reads the CID off the card. All Vag map cards are interchangeable the unit knows it's a Vag card so allows. Not a VAG mapcard, it wont work for navigation with standard firmware. Some people get their units hacked but just as good to use VAG cards.

If you have two Vag maps cards and experimenting that's where you need to put the long hold in on the on/off to cause a reboot else it misread what you put in.
Ahh, I didn't realise it needed that CID code. I thought the whole purpose was to put it on a standard sd card and copy the overall.nds file so the unit would read it and avoid having to get a VAG card.

I'm only inserting 1 card at a time to the unit, not both at once and switching between the 2.

There must be a way to override/rewrite that cid code then is there, hence the ebay sellers being able to supply cards on mass at a fraction of the cost of VAG?

Tell

Staff member
Ahh, I didn't realise it needed that CID code. I thought the whole purpose was to put it on a standard sd card and copy the overall.nds file so the unit would read it and avoid having to get a VAG card.

I'm only inserting 1 card at a time to the unit, not both at once and switching between the 2.

There must be a way to override/rewrite that cid code then is there, hence the ebay sellers being able to supply cards on mass at a fraction of the cost of VAG?
I have created a CID card in the past copying the method that Exciter did. Those cards though cost the same as the Vag eBay card. Buy an eBay Vag card if you need a second one but use the sellers ratings to select... normal eBay buying stuff.

The cards can fail so having a spare is useful especially if keeping the car way outside a dealers ability to sell them. 32gb if driving across Europe one side to another, failing that a 16gb card. Skoda, VW or Seat doesn't matter.

Jan 18, 2024
I have created a CID card in the past copying the method that Exciter did. Those cards though cost the same as the Vag eBay card. Buy an eBay Vag card if you need a second one but use the sellers ratings to select... normal eBay buying stuff.

The cards can fail so having a spare is useful especially if keeping the car way outside a dealers ability to sell them. 32gb if driving across Europe one side to another, failing that a 16gb card. Skoda, VW or Seat doesn't matter.
Thank you for your reply. For the cost of it, I may as well buy a preloaded, latest version, aftermarket, auction site card as opposed to another older/used VAG card and update it myself. That way, I will end up with 2 working cards that I can update when the next release is available.

Tell

Staff member
Thank you for your reply. For the cost of it, I may as well buy a preloaded, latest version, aftermarket, auction site card as opposed to another older/used VAG card and update it myself. That way, I will end up with 2 working cards that I can update when the next release is available.
We might have seen the final mib2 standard map update in June last year. November came and went. Mib2 high update is available but not on the VW site.That one is likely to continue for a few years due to Audi using it.

Be a waiting game to next June but highly likely 2110 will be the last mib2 standard one. It's how you do the maths. VW brought out mib3 fully on all models more or less in 2020, so 5 year rule of updates puts the last in 2024 or 2025. But the very first mib3 was 2019, so that puts it at 2024. Shave a year off and we are there already why VW haven't put a release up for mib2 standard or high.

You might be interested in the TMC mod using slight older maps but with TMC. Use your two cards and decide which you like. I've settled on the V12 maps with TMC. A link is on that resource of how to do it and the old map and the mod done by a clever programmer. It shifts the car onto INRIX traffic reports since traffic master pulled out of the business. It only works with the Here Maps standard maps, why they can't be the most recent. Nice to see road closure and traffic issues on the map.

Traffic Master discontinued their UK RDS broadcasts which VAG cars used in April 2023 for TMC, solution exists by shifting reception to the alternative UK broadcaster of traffic management data, Inrix.

Click for the Mib2 High Fix

Click for Mib2 Standard Fix

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members