Seat Arona 2019 Nav Update Help

Mar 4, 2024
Hi everone,

I have been reading through the forum threads, but since I'm a brand new Seat owner I can't seem to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I am trying to update my navigation. I have downloaded the latest maps from the official Seat website, put them onto an SD card and copied the Overall.nds file from the original manufacturer SD card onto the SD card where I put the new maps, but the car system isn't reacting to the SD card at all.

Also I am not sure what system my Seat has. I watched a few youtube videos and they mention:

MHIG = MIB1 High
MHS2 = MIB2 High Scale
MSTD = MIB1 Standard
MST2 = MIB2 Standard

I'm not really sure which one of this my Seat Arona 2019 has.

Seat Nav.jpg

Tell

Staff member
You need a Vag SD card, you can't use any old card unless the firmware is fiddled with. That is a Mib2 standard. Just do the "workaround" but if you have lost the original.nds file use the one attached. It's best if you keep navigation posts on the mib2 navigation thread:

The resource is built from the start of the thread !

The workaround is this text:

Steps:

1. Download the latest standard MIB2 maps
  2. on the infotainment go to settings, safely remove, sd1 card
  3. remove sd1 card from glove box slot
  4. long press on the on / off to reboot it a couple of times
  5. insert sd card in to computer
  6. copy and paste all contents to a directory on your computer
  7. Format the SD card keep it as fat32 and leave format settings as default in file explorer (don't forget to push the card lock mechanism to off) (ditto in a MAC or delete all from the SD card)
  8. Copy the new downloaded map version to the SD card (after unzipping it)
  9. Replace /maps/EEC/EEC_WLD/OVERALL.NDS on the SD CARD with the one from the original SD card
  10. eject the sd card (on a MAC run CleanMyDrive on the SD card - then eject)
  11. Inserted the card into the card 1 slot in glove box whilst infotainment is off
  12. power on and go to navigation

The unit should then boot up into navigation. Note it does take a little longer first time round. If it refuses to boot up, press the volume button forcing a reboot, hold down until the unit reboots. If this fails it will be issues on the overall.nds file / copy issues. Revisit the process. Failing this restore the back up.

You will also need to pick up any POIs that you show on the screen since these will be dropped after a map update. Petrol stations, parking location etc.

Do not format the card in anything other than Fat32. The unit runs QNX so will not correctly see the SD card if it is not in Fat32. The CID is not deleted in a format that is outside of the area that can be addressed.

If you have lost the original.nds file then you overwrite the downloaded map with the one attached to this post, it fixes all previous versions:

The Seat map may not be the latest, latest is this (2010):

May be the last ever for the mib2 standard since the November 2023 release never happened whilst mib2 high did across the whole Vag group...

Basically the small print on that Seat link says something like not available in the UK, they never sold mapcare in the UK but elsewhere in Europe which it needs but the workaround trick fools mapcare logic in the unit. Nobody buys mapcare now in Europe. Basically that website is a trap but using the methods perfected by users you can get it working with the update.

Background information. The unit looks for a valid map card in the slot any mib2 map card whether Seat, Skode or VW based on thr CID. Hidden ID on the SD card. It says yes, a valid Vag map card. Then without mapcare the unit is fixed to the release of the map card first put in. If you update via a download you shuffle that overall.nds file from old to the new release. It fools it to think you have mapcare. If you loose the original file or don't know what it was paired with them that attached file gets you out of the hole.

The resource also covers how to get these units working outside Europe. Clever stuff it comes up on second hand cars exported to the Middle and Africa or personal imports of just the unit. All of this can be done without touching the firmware, that isnt required.

Reactions: hellomrpocket
Mar 4, 2024
You need a Vag SD card, you can't use any old card unless the firmware is fiddled with. That is a Mib2 standard. Just do the "workaround" but if you have lost the original.nds file use the one attached. It's best if you keep navigation posts on the mib2 navigation thread:

The resource is built from the start of the thread !

The workaround is this text:

Steps:

1. Download the latest standard MIB2 maps
  2. on the infotainment go to settings, safely remove, sd1 card
  3. remove sd1 card from glove box slot
  4. long press on the on / off to reboot it a couple of times
  5. insert sd card in to computer
  6. copy and paste all contents to a directory on your computer
  7. Format the SD card keep it as fat32 and leave format settings as default in file explorer (don't forget to push the card lock mechanism to off) (ditto in a MAC or delete all from the SD card)
  8. Copy the new downloaded map version to the SD card (after unzipping it)
  9. Replace /maps/EEC/EEC_WLD/OVERALL.NDS on the SD CARD with the one from the original SD card
  10. eject the sd card (on a MAC run CleanMyDrive on the SD card - then eject)
  11. Inserted the card into the card 1 slot in glove box whilst infotainment is off
  12. power on and go to navigation

The unit should then boot up into navigation. Note it does take a little longer first time round. If it refuses to boot up, press the volume button forcing a reboot, hold down until the unit reboots. If this fails it will be issues on the overall.nds file / copy issues. Revisit the process. Failing this restore the back up.

You will also need to pick up any POIs that you show on the screen since these will be dropped after a map update. Petrol stations, parking location etc.

Do not format the card in anything other than Fat32. The unit runs QNX so will not correctly see the SD card if it is not in Fat32. The CID is not deleted in a format that is outside of the area that can be addressed.

If you have lost the original.nds file then you overwrite the downloaded map with the one attached to this post, it fixes all previous versions:

The Seat map may not be the latest, latest is this (2010):

May be the last ever for the mib2 standard since the November 2023 release never happened whilst mib2 high did across the whole Vag group...

Basically the small print on that Seat link says something like not available in the UK, they never sold mapcare in the UK but elsewhere in Europe which it needs but the workaround trick fools mapcare logic in the unit. Nobody buys mapcare now in Europe. Basically that website is a trap but using the methods perfected by users you can get it working with the update.

Background information. The unit looks for a valid map card in the slot any mib2 map card whether Seat, Skode or VW based on thr CID. Hidden ID on the SD card. It says yes, a valid Vag map card. Then without mapcare the unit is fixed to the release of the map card first put in. If you update via a download you shuffle that overall.nds file from old to the new release. It fools it to think you have mapcare. If you loose the original file or don't know what it was paired with them that attached file gets you out of the hole.

The resource also covers how to get these units working outside Europe. Clever stuff it comes up on second hand cars exported to the Middle and Africa or personal imports of just the unit. All of this can be done without touching the firmware, that isnt required.
Thanks a lot for this detailed explaination. You were very helpful in all the other threads I read and I was hoping you're going to reply here.

I apologize for not posting in the correct thread since I wasn't sure what system my car has.

Reactions: Tell

Tell

Staff member
Let you off, the 6P0... on your picture is the mib2 standard Seat part number of the map. That's the basic test that Seat said use in their documention on map updating to determine whether it's a mib1 / mib2 standard or high. 514 is also mib2 standard firmware another tell tail sign.

You shouldn't have a problem and there are recovery options. Just pick a sub file for Europe since I reckon you'll have a 16gb card and do the workaround. You need to fit a reboot in when you change maps cards. Long hold press on the on/off till the splash screen reappears. If the original overall.nds file is mislayed use the fix all one I pointed out.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2024
After following your detailed instructions, I was able to update the maps. Thanks a million!

Unfortunately, I could't use ECE AS (A1) since the file was almost 18GB after extraction and the oem SD card was only 16GB. I used ECE 2 instead which covers the region I'm located in.

1709681043969.png

Tell

Staff member
We always like to hear success stories. :love:

If you do think that you are going to drive the breadth of Europe and you want to get the all Europe file on it then you can buy the 32gb version off a Vag card off eBay. People do publish hacks to delete files which are not specific to your country but get caught out on the next release of the maps when they out grow the hack.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise