Stone Chip Protection Film

Dec 2, 2008
Nottingham
Just been catching up on a few freds.

I notice some of you have put stone chip protection film on your bonnet anf front bumpers.

Given that my K1 is only about 18 months old, done 17K miles and looks like the front has been attacked with a pebble dash gun would be intersting to know if these films really do work?

1. Is the film noticeable on the car?
2. Does it effect the look / finish when cleaned
3. Are the films easy to fit (I guess it's like apply tinted window film?) or best to have this professionally done.

Reason I ask is that considering having my front end repaired and resprayed.

Any views appreciated

I'd advise it. I did it on my old car but didn't on my current car (black magic leon). Like yours mine has taken a few stone bullits to the front end after 15k.
Film isn't really noticeble, you see the slightest difference in shine but that's only casue you knwo it's there. Gloss colours are usually less obvious if the rest of the car is cleaned and paintwork has a good shine. If you have it done try and get it on complete panels rather than just stopping half way cause you will see the seam if it stops mid panel.

I'd get it done by the pros because I've had friends who were good at window tints and flat surfaces but the curves are a different ball game.

adam23

Jan 10, 2008
Seat Dealers offer the chip protection for the Leon, think its £98 inc fitting.. It covers the wings, bumper and part of the bonnet.

stu38

Mar 8, 2007
Essex
Hi guys I have had fitted stone chip protection on my bocanegra . The product is venturesheild which is now owend I think by 3m. This is the third seat that I've had with this on. I must say that it protects no end really is superb , on the boc I had full front fitted ie lights, fogs, bumper, all of bonnet, wings and pan sunroof. Had this fitted bespoke at time as there was no pattern for the car took couple days but got discount:D the sheild isn't cheap but swings and I spous!! As said earlier on my Dakota red you really don't notice it being glossy to but they also do a new matt finish now to. If you do go for the sheild make sure though who ever fit the kit that they have the correct pattern and do not cut it on your pride and joy !! As for cleaning wash as normal with your regular clean and polish every now and then I was given a plastic cleaner with the kit and works a treat!! Also this product has a memory tec with it I was also told that if the film gets fine swirl scatches ever don't bother touching them just leave in direct sun and it reforms( that's if we ever get any more sun) he he . Hope this helps but it really saves the car if your on mway alot[B)]

NinjaPirateUK

Alor Blue Leon SC 1.8 TSI
Sep 7, 2009
Have you got any photos of the front end of your car? Just interested to see how it looks :)

What kind of cost were you looking at for the full front end?

Have you had any experience with these guys? My new FR has got a couple of nice chips already and was thinking of getting some decent protection on the front end.

I still have a few doubts about what the film would look like fitted though...

I've not but my mate had his Type R done there and I can't fault the work. The company who did mine no longer trade.
However I'm not sure you can fit it to already chipped paint! You need them all repairing first ie touch up pen or professional or it looks very odd over the imperfection.

Rickst3r

Cupra K1...
Dec 13, 2009
Falkirk, Central Scotland
I might get the front of my car re-sprayed towards the end of this year and when I do, I'll deffo be investing in a paint protection shield system. I'm finding the paint on the Leon is not particullary good and very thin!

Plus having red paint makes the stone chips stand out even more :cry:

NinjaPirateUK

Alor Blue Leon SC 1.8 TSI
Sep 7, 2009
However I'm not sure you can fit it to already chipped paint! You need them all repairing first ie touch up pen or professional or it looks very odd over the imperfection.

Yeah, I was going to get them fixed but figured I'll be getting a lot more with a daily motorway commute. One of them is pretty bad, right on the crease to the left of the grill, more annoying because I gave way to the guy that flicked it up [:@].

The full body wrap for £399 seems like excellent value for money, but I think I'm going to get a quote for the front end and sills.

I got all mine when i was motorwaying it every day to work, no longer doing that so thinking of getting all the little chips sorted and then investing in some. Might get my side skirts done too cause they get pretty messy from things getting fired up from the front wheels

stu38

Mar 8, 2007
Essex
Hi Ami-Jane no worries,the guy who done my work is at sunny Romford called mintcondition . The guys name is steve and said if any one interested he could do a club discount, so may be worth looking into if anyone else is interested with you:D He done blinding job tell you what though it looks a mare to fit if you were brave enough to try yourself!!

saintelise

I had my bonnet, bumper, partial front wings and behind the rear wheels on the bottom of the rear bumper too.

http://www.paintgard.co.uk/index.html

The guy who did mine is in Horndean, Hampshire.

I had my Elise done from new too with a similar product called Armourfend.

I would highly recommend it, although it's only worth doing from new or a fresh respray when the paintwork is unmarked.

It is virtually invisible and saves touch up paint making your bonnet 'spotty'!!

It's not to everyone's taste but I think its great :)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.