Sudden loss power then Engine Problem light

cable

Was driving home last night in my FR Tdi and pulled into a tesco's. As I turned in I thought I heard a light bang/scrape noise (someone was talking to me at the time so didn't hear it perfectly) which made me think I had somehow clipped the side of the wheel, got out checked it and all fine.

Then when setting off again the car had no real power, I could get it up to speed (30-50) but the turbo wasn't kicking in and there was no real difference between part and full throttle in terms of how fast the car accelerated, felt like a 1.0 polo. Checked the car this morning and now I have finally got the flashing coil light and the return to workshop warning.

Going to take it to the dealers in the morning, but has anyone got any ideas what it might be while I am sitting round on twidling my thumbs a sunday?

DaveysFR

May 28, 2008
Northern Ireland: Limavady
Had the same problem before mate with my FR, your car has gone into limp home mode which is to prevent damage to the engine when a fault occurs, this limits the car to max 3 thousand revs and 50mph.

Its probably a pressure sensor on the DPF that has failed as this is common fault, thats what mine was anyways mate. But as the car is under warranty and its a common thing, your dealer should be able to diagnose and sort it out for you quickly and free of charge.

mds1256

Facelift Leon Cupra
Jan 7, 2007
could be a pipe popped off (just thought if you heard a noise then i could be hose that has popped off)

just an idea.

Mar 26, 2007
Norn Iron
I had my car go into this kind of limp mode a few weeks ago for the first time, exhaust sensor needed replaced and was driving it untill the sensor came in to the workshop. I just pulled up on the motorway, turned the car off, took key out for a min and it reset allowing me to drive on.

leonfr170

Jun 16, 2007
i've had similar and the throttle sensor was replaced. why oh why do we see the same problems crop up time and time again? is it just me or are Seat not building cars properly. out of the last 5 cars i have owned the Seat has broken down more than all the others put together :cry:

Carnivor

Jul 7, 2006
In my LeonFR 2.0 TDI
I've had exact same problem too on my fr tdi, max revvs is 2500ish rpm, and it took about a minute to get to 50mph. with a nice array of lights on the dash,

garage collected it and it turned out it was a failed ECU, as it constantly believed that the dpf was at 100% capacity took a week to get fixed.

cable

Could only get it booked in for tuesday morning, at the minute it's looking like a sensor on the exhaust/dpf as I now got the exhaust system fault light on as well.

At least it seems like nothing serious, hopefully it'll all be sorted tomorrow.

cable

An update now, it has turned out to be a mystery.

Dealer had a look at it, said that the ECU was telling them there were faults with the turbo but they could find nothing wrong. So I was booked in for a longer stay the following week (this week) at their main garage. Phoned me on wednesday within two hours of leaving the car in to say they could find nothing wrong as the faults were reset last week and did not re-appear in the intervening time. I went over what happened and they said they would have a drive etc. and see if they could find anything. Now they've taken the car out for a drive and think it is perfectly fine and have no idea what caused the faults. I asked could there be a problem with the ECU and they said that it would be alot more noticeable if the ECU had a fault.

Any clues??

Boney FR170

It sounds like you have exactly the same problem as me. I had the emmisions control light, particulate filter light and engine warning light on. I left it in to the garage on monday and it is still there.

They told me that the filter had a 90% load according to the diagnostics, which is the highest they have ever seen, however they could'nt get it to regenerate. They have had to send off to SEAT for a software update for their computer system to allow them to fix the problem.

It is in with Donnelly Brothers in Dungannon, so I'll let you know if they get mine sorted and you could try them if you need to.

Last edited by a moderator:

cable

It's not remapped.

Just picked it up from the dealer, they seemed to have done all they could on it, did a diagnostic on pretty much everything electrical in the car and all was fine, since the faults were cleared when I was in last week they never re-appeared before this time it was in they found nothing. Dealer says that they did a forced regen in case it was the dpf getting blocked and presumed that it was done by their other branch last week as well.

My only wonder about the DPF is the actual DPF light never came on, it was limp mode then a few miles, then engine warning, then a few miles and exhaust emissions. :shrug:

On the drive home the car seems fine, probably a bit smoother with the dpf completely cleared.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.