Sudden starting issue

ads_uk

Apr 26, 2021
Leicester UK
I've got 2020 Ateca 2.0 TDI FWD (pre-facelift). Had no major issues aside from blind spot sensors playing up which was never fixed but seemed to go away. Just tried to go out this morning and basically it refuses to start. Trying to work out if this is a battery issue or something else. Basically the starter just seems to fire super quickly then I get all manner of warnings (airbag and other systems as well as a battery warning). I do have a dashcam but it's on a wired to only be power up when ignition is on.

Been on there for a long time (2+ years so don't think this can be the problem). Had no starting issues at all prior to this morning.

I've attached a short video showing what happens. In the meantime I've put the battery on a charger...
Video of startup.

Luckily the car is still under an extended SEAT Warranty until June so if it's anything major it should be covered (hopefully).

<update>

Battery now fully charged and it seems to be ok although on first startup it issued a low battery and airbag fault. Since then i've restarted and it's not showing any errors. But my guess is the battery has probably crossed the cliff edge in capacity due to age and will probably do this again at some point. I've contacted my local independent for a quote on a new a battery and i'll compare that to what the dealer price is (as it's due it's service soon i maybe able to wrangle a deal with the battery i guess). I understand there are a couple of battery types which will work, one being EFB and the other AGM. I believe AGM is probably the 'better' one to go for based on the limited reading I've done online.

This appears to be compatible
Bosch 70AH AGM (under £145 which seems ok to me).
My current battery is an OEM EFB+ one by Exide (OEM 5TA 915 105 B).
We shall see what the prices are like from the dealer. Assuming I can't just fit the replacement myself as I need to tell the card what type of battery it is? (unless I guess I replace it with a like for like EFB+ one?)

thanks.

Last edited:

Tell

Staff member
I outed my original battery at 5 years. One year over the recommended 4 years for it. I'd been let down in my Altea on a cold night at 11:30 pm so did preventive maintenence on it. That maintenence thing you get taught on MSc s on the cost effectiveness of preventive maitenancy verses waiting for an issue. Strip tubes on that one, they replace the whole lot. Inventory control... late at night 🤣. Some people wait for the battery to fail... I got the dealer to do it rather than fiddle with it. Got the other stuff done that the service plans miss out on. My five year audit at service.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.