TDI tuning box on my 1.9TDI PD

ming

Oct 4, 2009
Glasgow
I know many of you remapping-fans don't rate tuning boxes, but if, like me, you're not of the same persuasion as those guys, then here's some input.
Got a TDI Tuning box on ebay for £75.
4 days now since I fitted it to my 1.9TDI Altea XL and I must say it has made a significant impact on the performance. I can't comment on the BHP effect - I've done no high speed stuff - but torque increase is palpable - acceleration mid range especially. Previously, I had a Fabia vRS and although this box hasn't got me to that level of performance it certainly has narrowed the gap. The engine also seems much smoother and quieter. And there's no evidence of "smoking".
Fuelwise: Yesterday, I filled the tank, so I'll know the MPG outcome at the refill. I'll update when info is available. The computer read-out is showing a 15% increase but obviously the ECU is being cheated, so I'll disregard.
Insurancewise: I was with Directline but it refused to cover any engine chipping, so I cancelled. I spoke with TDI Tuning and the guy there suggested Adrian Flux. For a premium of £18 more than I was with Directline I got the same level of cover -works out at £230 annual.
Hope this helps if you're contemplating on of these boxes.

mak2503

I had a tuning box fitted to my Golf TDI 150 and it didn't half make the car go you would really feel the punch with it.
Fuel economy improved but I used the power more so used a bit more fuel.
I had to take it off as I couldn't live with the really lumpy idle and the stink of diesel fumes when it was on.

Glad your enjoying your one.

ming

Oct 4, 2009
Glasgow
I had a tuning box fitted to my Golf TDI 150 and it didn't half make the car go you would really feel the punch with it.
Fuel economy improved but I used the power more so used a bit more fuel.
I had to take it off as I couldn't live with the really lumpy idle and the stink of diesel fumes when it was on.

Glad your enjoying your one.

Must say, the TDI box doesn't affect the idle nor is there any diesely smells. In fact there's no way of knowing the box is fitted other than when you press the accelerator, obviously. Then it's like the performance experience you had with your Golf.

BigV

Apr 17, 2010
Bought mine from TDI Tuning via ebay for £75. Current listing link

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Seat-Alte...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4cf4c1d1c0

OR,

Google: TDI Tuning

Any further updates on how this is going and what difference it makes?

I am thinking about getting one from this seller on eBay for my 150tdi. I know they aren't as 'good' as a remap but then again a remap is £250.
Also, what really appeals to me more than the cash saving, is avoiding the whole hassle of travelling to a garage and dealing with mechanics thing.... plus not knowing if you are being ripped off or if they are going to blow the car up on the rolling road or try and flog a load of expensive extras whatever.

I have looked at the top end 'digital' boxes but they are silly money; £350 to £500.

Might have a go with one of these, for £80 and a money back guarantee, what is there to lose?

Last edited:

ming

Oct 4, 2009
Glasgow
Almost a fortnight now since fitting the tuning box and I'm still thoroughly enjoying the experience. The car's performance, especially mid range torque, has significantly improved, as has the overall smoothness of delivery. The engine just loves the new parameters provided by the box. Although the box is adjustable I've tried a few tweeks but have found that the factory setting gives the best results.
I have no hesitation in recommending this product. BTW, I have no association with TDI -just in case your thoughts might be drifting in that direction.
As I said in an earlier post, I had a Fabia vRS and loved its performance - Clarkson quote: ".............the Fabia vRS is a seriously fast car" - and, although the Altea is not quite as exhilarating it's not too far behind. Just to reinforce my conviction, yesterday, I disconnected the box and took the car for a spin. Oh, how unbelievably slow and rough by comparison.
I'm still a couple of weeks away from checking the m.p.g but will update the thread at that point.

Last edited:

joshy514

Fleet Air Arm by ability.
Mar 2, 2012
Gloucester
www.seatcupra.net
I've just been looking through this thread, and seems quite good! Does anyone know if an FR 150 tdi's clutch would be affected by this at all? i've heard stories of people breaking these engines through maps etc and i don't want to be doing that (but if it does i can remove the box and the warranty can sort it haha) cars had a new clutch 2 weeks ago, standard but its only done 300 miles as its been off the road for a week and 2 days. Cheers

BigV

Apr 17, 2010
I've just been looking through this thread, and seems quite good! Does anyone know if an FR 150 tdi's clutch would be affected by this at all? i've heard stories of people breaking these engines through maps etc and i don't want to be doing that (but if it does i can remove the box and the warranty can sort it haha) cars had a new clutch 2 weeks ago, standard but its only done 300 miles as its been off the road for a week and 2 days. Cheers
a leon FR 150tdi?

I think with all performance upgrades to these tdis the opinion is that and old clutch may not be able to handle the torque of a remap (i.e. may start slipping), and a new cluch can be worn out a lot faster if you abuse the extra power / torque available.

Generally speaking flooring the gas pedal at low RPM in a high gear would cause extra strain on the cluch; so if you are the type of driver to cruise around at 40mph in 6th and then floor it you would wear the clutch out faster with a remap because of the extra torque going through it.
I think otherwise a stage 1 map is usually OK on the cluch, anything more than that needs an uprated clutch.

Dunno about the engines but a lot of people have had remaps or tuning boxes on for thousands of miles without issue. I guess like any upgrade it would cause an already sick engine to die quicker - so good idea to make sure the car is in good health first.

I've searched through the forum and there is a lot of negative stuff about tuning boxes but mainly from people who have remaps! It seems anyone who has bought a tuning box and run it seems quite happy. OK they probably aren't as good as a remap but then again they are 1/4 of the price, don't require dealing with garages and as you say, can be taken off for warranty or insurance claims. (not that i would condone such dishonest behavior...*cough*). I suspect that as with all forums, there is a bit of a sheep/heard mentality going on - one person says ituning box=crap, remap=awesome and then everyone repeats the messege based on not a lot of fact.

Last edited:

joshy514

Fleet Air Arm by ability.
Mar 2, 2012
Gloucester
www.seatcupra.net
Well I am a little heavy footed when I need to be but not in 5th or 6th really, thats what being 20 is about though! cant be having a gsi corsa beat me can i?! Think i am going to do a little bit more research on the subject and make my mind up from there... dont want to be rebuilding an engine! cheers though BigV!

ming

Oct 4, 2009
Glasgow
I've read through the posts and note lots of stuff on the relative merits of tuning box -v - remap and worries regarding engine and clutch issues.
Yes, there will be differences between the box and a remaps but in my experience the guys who opt for remaps are looking for a bit more performance-wise than is available from the box I've fitted, for instance. The TDI bumph estimates an increase in BHP and torque in the region of 25%. That means I should now be getting 127 BHP and 300 Nm. Comparing those with the Fabia vRS's 130/320 from the same mechanicals - so I'm told - I don't think there should be too much in the way of concern for clutch/engine issues.
Of course, if you're of the rev it-floor it-brigade then ignore the above.
However, if, like me, you're after a smoother/quieter delivery, faster throttle responses and relish the palpable feeling of "shuve" when accelerating - brilliant at around 2000rpm in 3rd/4th for instance - then go for it. After all, if you're not pleased with the outcome you just return it for refund. That was the feature that caused me to give it a try in the first place. Now pleased I did.

Lewwy

L6 WWY
Feb 5, 2012
Bedworth, Warks
This has been an interesting thread for me, thanks for your input on this Ming. I have also been considering re-map/tuning box on my 1.9 TDi Ref Sport. I too had a Fabia vRS (a nice red '07 plate), and its hard going from that to an Altea. The Fabia is proper quick. Ming I can recall reading your posts on Briskoda.

So if you could keep us posted on the MPG when you have the chance, and comment if you can see a significant difference.

I took the Altea on a 120 mile each way run down to the coast on Tues, took it nice and steady and did a brim to brim fill up on my return to see what MPG i did and it returned approx 56.5 MPG, so wasnt too displeased with that. Knocking around the town I am getting approx 43 mpg. Over a fortnight of town and some A road runs got approx 47 MPG. Which I dont think is too bad for the size of the car really.

Lewwy

ming

Oct 4, 2009
Glasgow
Okay. Latest updates:

MPG:
As I said, previously, I'd get back on the mpg. So, here it is.
Since the beginning of April the car has done 472 miles, almost all of which were around town/country - No motorway, at all - and required 49.42 litres to top-up to original level - at pump cut-off. That works out at 43.46 mpg. The previous best was 42.42 mpg.
Considering the increased performance I wasn't expecting an improved mpg. Therefore, a 2.45% improvement is an unexpected and pleasant surprise. Even more surprising when you consider there were NO motorway miles during the period.

Performance:
Car continues to run so sweetly I can hardly believe it's the same car.
And, the increased "shuve" is really, really evident.
For me, at £75 it's a no brainer mod - remember though, if you're tempted don't forget to check the insurance implications. I was with Directline, but no more - they don't cater for performance mods. Adrian Flux had no such reservations. And the premium is almost the same as I was paying for Directline's standard car premium.

Note: As I've said before, if you're thinking I've some allegiance to TDI, I don't.

I'll post another update in a month or so.

ming

Oct 4, 2009
Glasgow
2nd Update

MPG.

To recap:
Best pre-TDI Tuning box - 42.42
First result after fitting TDI Tuning box - 43.46

Latest: 505 miles, requiring 51.19 litres to top-up. Therefore, 44.89 mpg. That's a 5.8% improvement on pre-TDi Tuning box.
The latest result was obtained with a similar mix of A and B roads - no motorway.
All in all, I'm pretty satisfied with the outcome.

Performance:

Not much to add from previous posts. Engine continues to run as smooth as silk and the increased acceleration never fails to impress.

Toby Davis

Toby Davis
Oct 12, 2009
Kidderminster West Midlands
Hi Ming i have just read your post and have a few questioins for you i hope you can assist with

I have an Ibiza mk4 cupra tdi with your exact box on (for the ibiza) making it around 190 -198 bhp

Taken it out for a spin on the motorway etc and not convinced it is any faster, not sure if its because i was expecting more of a dramatic effect, also from adjusting the box i have the engine managment light on and nothing will get ride of it (reseting battery, removing fuses, adjusting box etc). Is it possible my box could be faulty or not as it has put a warning light on ?

ming

Oct 4, 2009
Glasgow
Hi Ming i have just read your post and have a few questioins for you i hope you can assist with

I have an Ibiza mk4 cupra tdi with your exact box on (for the ibiza) making it around 190 -198 bhp

Taken it out for a spin on the motorway etc and not convinced it is any faster, not sure if its because i was expecting more of a dramatic effect, also from adjusting the box i have the engine managment light on and nothing will get ride of it (reseting battery, removing fuses, adjusting box etc). Is it possible my box could be faulty or not as it has put a warning light on ?

As I said previously, in my case the increase in acceleration was and is significant. Why that's not repeated in your case I can't comment.
As regards the other points you are experiencing I can only comment that I've had no such issues. I have noticed, very occasionally, there's a slight hesitation when cold at around 35/40. Only noticeable when feathering the accelerator.
With reference to a possible "faulty box" I would suggest you make a call to the technical dept at TDI. I found them quite helpful - eventually - when I asked about the adjustment screw. I say - eventually - because the first guy I asked told me to turn the screw two full turns ACW. This I did and the box ceased to work at all. I called back the next day; reported what I had done, only to be told by another guy that I should return the box to the original setting and only adjust 1/4 of a turn ACW at a time. Two turns was definitely not correct. In the end I returned it to the original and there it has remained. So, if/when you contact them relate my experience. That way you should, hopefully, get the right input.

UPDATE:
Just came back from a 200 mile trip to Morpeth. Car went smooth as silk and thrived on the long incline stretches.

ming

Oct 4, 2009
Glasgow
Just to let you know that the Altea XL is about to be swapped for an auto Jag X type. Much regrets but left knee is giving some aggravation so an auto is the only answer.
So, I have some items for sale.
(I'm not sure if I should be posting items for sale in this section but there's nowhere else for non-car items that I can find. If I'm in breach I'll obviously withdraw and, instead, put them on ebay)

TDI Tuning box will shortly be removed and available for someone in here who has £50 to spend. Those who have followed this thread will know how impressed I've been with the box so here's a chance to get it at a third off the original price - was £75.

Mudflaps front and rear: £30

Engine cover: £20

cactusjack

Ibiza FR TDI
Feb 25, 2012
Nottingham
I have one of these on my Ibiza FR PD130, but its the newer box from their website, £295 (OUCH!), should have gone with a proper remap really!. Makes it a little bit faster, needle will push just over 140 now. The torque however is a beast, can really notice the difference. My box has 7 or 8 different settings on it ranging from a little smoke to shite loads of smoke! Lol. MPG is up a bit too. For the Ebay price, yeah why not, for the website newer model, stick with with proper remaps!

chouman

Apr 24, 2011
Bonnie Scotland
Tuning Box

TDI Tuning box will shortly be removed and available for someone in here who has £50 to spend. Those who have followed this thread will know how impressed I've been with the box so here's a chance to get it at a third off the original price - was £75.

Hi,

looked back on here for an update on the tuning box to see it's up for sale! Do you still have it?

Can't see how to PM you to ask, sorry.

Thanks.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.