temp gauge

LEE_05

Oct 17, 2008
started my car up this morning and the the light on the temp gauge beeped and started flashen . Anyone no why it does that ?

andycupra

status subject to change
this will get asked weekly when the weather gets cold...

It is 99% likely to be the coolant level indicator in the expansion tank. ( i know i know you will say but the light is in the temp gauge..) but then the temp isnt the issue is it.

Reasons.. well the cold weather means that the coolant level when cold sits a little lower and the sensor seems to be less efficient also so it gives false low readings.

Take the lid off the coolant expansion tank and you will see two thin metal prongs running from where the electrical connection is into the coolant. The coolant provides connection from prong to prong which if lost or is below a set level will set off the warning that the coolant level has not dropped off.

Fixes.. many on here will swear that you need to replace the coolant expansion bottle and will say it fixed it. But i know of some that did this then got the issue back next year. (some havnt but then i think its because the coolant was topped up when the bottle was replaced)

So i would try the following:

Check the coolant level, and if its not already id get it to sit at the top end of the normal range indicated on the expansion bottle WHEN COLD. It will sit above the max line when hot, but this is normal as water expands when hot.
I would say that this will likely solve this for you.
Other things you can do are:
Some have said scrape the sensor prongs, (oif they have any crap on them).
or
clean off the electrical contacts on the connectors to ensure a good contact.

let us know how you get on.

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.