Thinking of buying a 1.9tdi SE, advice please.....

l16yd l

Hi all,

Due to circumstances i am selling my BMW 320td Compact for something cheaper. I was looking at the typical A3, A4, Golf, Bora and Ibiza but the Leon seems to stand out more. I have a budget of about £2k which should get me a SE on a X,Y or 51 plate and some money spare for wheels and lowering. I know the SE has the similar interior to the Cupra ad thats as far as it goes. What do i need to look out for and what should i be staying away from?

Cheers

Lloyd

Make sure of the obvious.... Cam belt, water pump etc....

Watch out for also the usual Leon short comings, damaged door seals, as they can fail and leak water in.

Mine has done 108k and still runs sweet. These VW TDi engines do last forever, so make sure it has been well serviced and it will be fine.

Ben

l16yd l

Make sure of the obvious.... Cam belt, water pump etc....

Watch out for also the usual Leon short comings, damaged door seals, as they can fail and leak water in.

Mine has done 108k and still runs sweet. These VW TDi engines do last forever, so make sure it has been well serviced and it will be fine.

Ben

Cambelts are every 60k right? Is there any way of fiding out about the window seals?

Dec 31, 2007
Reading
Cambelt changes seem to vary depending on where you look. But yes 60k sounds about right personally, or every 3-4 years. Make sure water pump is done at the same time - its not essential but its a relatively low cost considering the belt is being done so can smack of cheapness - although not always.

Seals... there are a few threads about it, do a quick search and there is a few guides around which will probs have pictures of dodgy seals. Or go round the night after heavy rain and check the footwells!

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
I think you're being a bit optimistic with the price. 2k might get you a 90tdi S, but finding a 110 SE without hypergalactic mileage for that price will be tough. Diesels are pricier than petrols even second hand.

l16yd l

I think you're being a bit optimistic with the price. 2k might get you a 90tdi S, but finding a 110 SE without hypergalactic mileage for that price will be tough. Diesels are pricier than petrols even second hand.

I have seen them for a little over around that figure with about 100-110k on them. So not really that optimistic.