And three I still need to do:

Brake pads/discs
ARBs
N249

Ok that's twelve, but near enough!

Jul 29, 2006
cumbria
www.facebook.com
I've just done the N249 bypass mod and can honestly say it hasn't made the slightest bit of difference to the car:shrug: ,for those guys with LC's who have done that mod,what difference,if any have you noticed?

Mar 29, 2007
Berkshire
I am going to try it sometime soon. I generally don't try and kid myself that something is better just because I have done it, so hopefully I will be able to do a fair test. The only possible improvement would be the speed that the DV reacts afaik.

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
I've just done the N249 bypass mod and can honestly say it hasn't made the slightest bit of difference to the car:shrug: ,for those guys with LC's who have done that mod,what difference,if any have you noticed?

It holds boost on part throttle and make the DV louder.

OFI

Sep 5, 2007
Salisbury
I'd suggest (in no particular order):

Tyres*
Dogbone Mount
Strut Brace
DV
TIP
Stage 1 Remap
Air Filter*
Wipers*
Lights*

And three I still need to do:

Brake pads/discs*
ARBs
N249

Ok that's twelve, but near enough!

I'm sure I can search for each one on here and spend a day looking but what do each of those do? (ignoring the obvious such as ones with **'s)

I want to make improvements to my car but I don't want to go replacing things if they are not needed on a car not going higher than 'Stage 1'

Mar 29, 2007
Berkshire
I'm sure I can search for each one on here and spend a day looking but what do each of those do? (ignoring the obvious such as ones with **'s)

I want to make improvements to my car but I don't want to go replacing things if they are not needed on a car not going higher than 'Stage 1'

As part of the stage 1 remap it is a good idea to uprate the air filter, diverter valve and turbo inlet pipe. The increased boost pressure can cause the latter two to fail. The uprated dv will also improve throttle response being a piston design with various springs available. The N249 bypass is also recommended for increasing dv response too.

The dogbone mount is a vital mod for the woeful standing starts that the standard LCR suffers from, with wheel hop and loss of traction. It stops the engine swaying about and it even improves response and feel when cornering on the throttle, as there is no 150kg engine swaying around as you move the accelerator. If you want to improve this even further then some people also uprate the other two engine mounts, although these are more to do with side-to-side movement than front-to-back.

The strut brace is present on the Audi S3 (and a number of other performance cars) and really does help improve the feel and turn in on the LCR. I think this should have been installed in the factory (along with a better DBM) as it really is a good improvement.

ARBs are anti-roll bars which help keep the car flatter when cornering. It isn't a good idea to go too stiff with these as they are only designed to finish the suspension setup off and going for thick ARBs on weak suspension will lose a lot of feel and feedback from the suspension. OEM LCR setup is 18mm front and just the torsion beam at the rear.

Also don't underestimate good tyres as they can make a massive difference - especially in the wet!

Last edited:

OFI

Sep 5, 2007
Salisbury
Thank you very much for your time :) The DV I have on my Cupra is that not the same as the ones fitted to Cupra Rs and TTs (with more power standard)?

Might have a look at a 007p and dogbone then..

I have TiRs up front but the rears have been reluctant wear down so have yet to be replaced. Will probably put this off until I can get some 18's (they're still good Goodyear tyres though)

I think i'd need to head for new shocks before going down the ARBs route as you say.

OFI

Sep 5, 2007
Salisbury
Oooh you missed one the TIP, Turbo Intake Pipe right? This is just wider and smoother I gather from looking at it. Has anyone had before and after dyno runs to see the improvements?

Mar 29, 2007
Berkshire
Yep same Bosch DV in the Cupra as the R.

I don't think I missed the TIP :p but it's mainly for coping with higher pressures with collapsing issues. From my personal experience it didn't change much performance wise, but you hear turbo spool up a little more.

I don't know what TiR tyres are but I can recommend Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymmetrics from experience. Also changing the worn rears to the front when you replace your fronts is a good way of cycling tyres and also keeps the rear of the car stable in the wet. Other recommended tyres are Vredestein Ultrac-Sessanta, Continental ContiSport Contact3 and Pirelli PZero Neros (new 2009 version) according to AutoExpress: http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=234979

The Cupra has a 23mm front ARB (connected to suspension in a different way to the R) and most people have just added a rear ARB somewhere between 22mm and 25mm in size. I don't know a lot about the Cupra having mainly researched the LCR though, I'm afraid.

Last edited:

turbin

Ive got the LCR boosting peak 23psi and after I did this 249 mod I noticed the DV was opening alot faster. A little more sound as well as extra bonus. I liked it. No codes. I changed everything tho, no joints, just one long silicone hose from the injectorhousing? or whatever thats called, to the DV :)

OFI

Sep 5, 2007
Salisbury
Yep same Bosch DV in the Cupra as the R.

I don't think I missed the TIP :p but it's mainly for coping with higher pressures with collapsing issues. From my personal experience it didn't change much performance wise, but you hear turbo spool up a little more.

I don't know what TiR tyres are but I can recommend Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymmetrics from experience. Also changing the worn rears to the front when you replace your fronts is a good way of cycling tyres and also keeps the rear of the car stable in the wet. Other recommended tyres are Vredestein Ultrac-Sessanta, Continental ContiSport Contact3 and Pirelli PZero Neros (new 2009 version) according to AutoExpress: http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=234979

The Cupra has a 23mm front ARB (connected to suspension in a different way to the R) and most people have just added a rear ARB somewhere between 22mm and 25mm in size. I don't know a lot about the Cupra having mainly researched the LCR though, I'm afraid.

You're right you did mention the TIP lol

Toyo Proxy TiRs ;)
The AutoExpress test annoyed me as they didn't test them using "They didn't arrive on time" as the excuse when any old Joe Public can go to their nearest garage and have them fitted :rolleyes:
One of many reasons why I stopped subscribing to their magazine :think:

I'll have to look into the suspension, as you can probably tell I have no idea at all what features on my car :D

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.