TSI FR vs TDI FR : some advice please

hangten0

New to Seat cars, and have decided to go for a new Leon FR, been offered the following from a local dealer:

TDI FR - silver, blue tooth, 18" wheels, 1400 miles, £16k
TSI FR - black, blue tooth, 18" wheels, brand new, £17k

Driven both, but on a wet day, felt like the TSI was quicker on the get go, but TDI more torque. Mentioned did not really like the 18' rims, prefered the 17" FR ones, said that they would swap them over for me, drive wise is there much difference ?

Can anbody advise on what they feel is the better buy, have been told that the TDI has better resell value.

Thanks

hangten0

Thanks for the link.

yes, £1k off the petrol TFSI FR off list for an as yet unregistered car so it would be on 56 plates, or £2.5 off the diesel TDI FR which is really a demo on 06 plates, drive wise did you have a favourite ?

Also would you opt out of the 18" rims for the 17" standard FR rims, no reduction in price, they would just swap them with another another 17" FR they have in stock. I prefer the 17" style, suppose would not be much difference in ride quality ?

Thanks

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
The petrol was more fun on the track, probably due to it's longer rev range - but out on the road I would say the tdi had it - it certainly made up for my not being used to the car, so would just 'go' in whatever gear.

the 18's will give a slightly harsher ride, and in turn will be dearer on tyres.

To me, I'd take the tdi, with new 17's from another diesel (note the tyres are different on the petrol) - you've already saved 2.5k, so your depreciation hit for year 1 is almost done.

Oct 12, 2005
I would not go for the 17s, go for the 18s, imo the 17s are awful looking but the 18s fill the wheel arches much better!

hangten0

Thanks mOrk & philtdi for the advice, will have a sleep on it and make the call to the dealer tomorrow, suspect I might go for the TDI FR.

P0LKR

Nov 13, 2005
Newton Mortgage, Glasgow
without doubt the tdi is the one to go for

if people want a petrol version they will wait for the cupra.

I traded my old FR petrol in and got i would say 1500-2000 less than i would have got for the diesel version

richi

Get the derv but stick with the 18's

Hi i havent drove the petrol FR but ive had an A4 with the same engine and am currently driving the FR TDI. Both these engines are fantastic the petrol has the edge if floored through the gears but the diesel creeps ahead in normal day to day driving and has effortless overtaking abilities plus 40+ mpg ( the petrol managed mid to high 20's in the same conditions). Plus like already mentioned the derv will retain its value better, But in my opinion the 17's look dreadfull and dont fill the large arches sufficiently, so stick with the 18's and put up with the ever so slightly harsher ride.:funk:

hangten0

thanks everybody who replied

have taken delivery of a luna grey TDI FR with 18" rims and blue tooth, also got a boot liner (to keep the dog hairs and muddy paws off the carpet) and roof racks for my surfboards.

As I had only driven the car for 5 miles in the rain on a test drive and never got over 50mph was a bit worried it would not be all it was cracked up to be, but now with a 120 miles under my belt could not be happier and pleased I decided on the 18" rims, they look and feel great.

Last edited by a moderator:

safcnige

new tdi fr

:p had my new tdi fr for four weeks now in yellow with 18's drove both went for the tdi because it was more economical, better resale value and cheaper company car tax. dealer discounted it down to £16282 brand new :p plus £500 for 18's, convenience pack and ipod connector. Soshop about before paying that for a demo as theyve got about 8.5% margin in the car!

safcnige

18's

yes they are £350 option but dealer gave me discount on the convienience pack and threw the ipod connector in for free!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.