Typical breather and vacuum pipes that fail?

jet-black

Hello

Ive got a Leon Cupra which keeps throwing up error codes which can relate to dodgy pipes ive replace two (the breather pipe that comes from the DV area then spilts into two, one going into the cam cover and the other going down to the front of the engine. Ive also replaced that pipe that comes off the other pipe and goes to the front of the engine)

However because im still getting the error im guessing theres still another pipe that has a hole in it but cant find it!

Can people post the pipes area of the engine and possible photos that they have found to fail

Thanks

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
I've replaced that pipe your talking about and it definatly does not bring on the fault code light.

What code are you getting? The reason I knew about mine being split is I had EML light come on for SAI system and when I took engine covers off I found split breather pipe.........had been split ages by the looks of things and is pretty common.

jet-black

Thanks for the replies the error codes Im getting are:

17544 P1136 Long Term Fuel Trim Add.Fuel,Bank1 System too Lean
17704 P1296 Cooling system malfunction
17947 P1539 Clutch Vacuum Vent Valve Switch Incorrect signal

I have already replace the temperature sensor with the green version as I understand its either that or a dodgy thermostat and as im still getting it i guess its that.

Im not sure which error causes it but my Engine management light comes on and stays on until I erase the codes.

Hope someone can help!

jet-black

Thanks Swilky but ive seen those!

I was hoping people could give their experience on which thing it could espically with the below

17544: Long Term Fuel Trim Add.Fuel,Bank1 System too Lean

Acording to Ross Tech the below are the possible causes

* Check Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor - I've already changed that
* Check Fuel Pressure Regulator
* Check Fuel Pump
* Check Intake/Exhaust System for Leaks
* Check Secondary Air Injection for Leaks
* Check Vacuum Lines for Leaks - Found two pipes and replaced both

I've got Vag-com is there anyway i can do a log to find out what the cause might be.

Thanks

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
Is your SAI pump noisy? if so it could be leaking [easy to fix] but saying that it usually brings up the code for incorrect flow if its leaking.......bet its worth checking it, if you get underneith you can see it [you might have to remove one of the splash guards I can't remember]

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
Just to explain a bit more.....its the pump between engine and rads on drivers side that pumps air to reduce emmisions when you first start the car up [its what that noise is that lasts a couple of mins when you first start it up]

Has 2 pipes coming off it....one goes to the air box, they both run under the inlet manifold.

Might not be anything to do with this but its worth checking as it does say check in your above post :)

jet-black

Excellent thanks, will check that out next time i'm under there!

matylad

Nov 24, 2005
Crewe, Cheshire
Had similar problems on my old Cupra. EML was on, tick over was awful the engine was bouncing around and spluttering. The problem turned out to be a vacum pipe under the inlet manifold. This was allowing the engine to draw in air it couldn’t account for, hence the EML coming on. Have you done any logs with vagcom? This might be worth doing just to eliminate any other problems with sensors etc etc.

I also had the SAI pump off, drilled out the rivets and replaced with stainless bolts. This is a common problem across the VAG range, there is a guide somewhere.

jet-black

Thanks Matylad i'll make sure i look at the SAI pump when i'm next under there!

I have no idea how to run logs with vag-com, let alone know if something is wrong!?

Thanks

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.