turboboy

Universal intercooler, the guide.

turboboy

Limp Mode Squad ™
Dec 9, 2003
hants
I've seen condensers for 80quid from Germany.

I've also had no fuss refitting the bumper, I goes where it goes just easier with 2 people to support the other side

raptiler

Mar 9, 2014
Hi guys, I'm new around here, but the thread caught my attention since im studying to install a new fmic to my car, it's a 2.0 tdi from last year. From what i've seen on all the post, no one tried to install a fmic behind the bar or has anyone tried it? this last installation on cupra seems pretty nice.
I was wondering if a 630x300x65 would fit behind the bar?

Best regards from Portugal ( where im from ) :)

Last edited:

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Hi guys, I'm new around here, but the thread caught my attention since im studying to install a new fmic to my car, it's a 2.0 tdi from last year. From what i've seen on all the post, no one tried to install a fmic behind the bar or has anyone tried it? this last installation on cupra seems pretty nice.
I was wondering if a 630x300x65 would fit behind the bar?

Best regards from Portugal ( where im from ) :)

The 550 wide by 65 thick is quite fixed so it will fit in the correct place.

180 tall is just short of hitting the crash bar - a 300 might not clear the bar at 65mm thick.

I would try and stick with the tested 550 x 180 x 65 cooler
Make sure you get the 2.25" inlet and outlet ( many offer the larger 2.5" inlet and outlet )

raptiler

Mar 9, 2014
Hi deano :) i see you are pretty old in this thread :p

i think 630 is overall but i will doublecheck it with vendor.
the 550 is overall or just the internal part of the cooler? what would be the overall fitting measure?
Actually the one that im seeing is 2.5", but there are reductors on hoses that can be used?
dont know if i can link it but here it is :

racestuff.pt/p/ic-630x300x65-/6#.U6BFhYF_t5E

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Hi deano :) i see you are pretty old in this thread :p

i think 630 is overall but i will doublecheck it with vendor.
the 550 is overall or just the internal part of the cooler? what would be the overall fitting measure?
Actually the one that im seeing is 2.5", but there are reductors on hoses that can be used?
dont know if i can link it but here it is :

racestuff.pt/p/ic-630x300x65-/6#.U6BFhYF_t5E

The overall length of the one used in this thread are around 690/710 mm long

Yes you can get 2.5 to 2.25 adaptors but the 90deg ones that would work are expensive.

look through the rest of the thread and you will see a few links to different coolers that have been used and are proven to work.
By using one of them you save yourself the issue of having to do more engineering and trial befor you can fit it.

raptiler

Mar 9, 2014
Im trying to study the influence of the sizes. Its my first car in modifications so im a bit curious how about this works. Im a total newbie :)And im trying to mix a bit of engineering with not expending all my money where i dont need. The first thing it comes to my mind is. Why there are so many different varieties of fmics. There are different spaces in cars to fit them but the physics should influence the result. I should have studied physics! Damn. I was lazy ;/ lol

Enviado do meu GT-I9300 através de Tapatalk

raptiler

Mar 9, 2014
Anyone know if in my model its really 57mm hoose oem? I might go for that cupra one. Its not only the silicone 90 Degrees that is expensive. Its the metal joiner too.
Did anyone fitting a new fmic without remap found any difference?

Enviado do meu GT-I9300 através de Tapatalk

raptiler

Mar 9, 2014
People, do you think this will fit??

ebay.com/itm/131218373264?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
People, do you think this will fit??

ebay.com/itm/131218373264?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Here is a 180 tall cooler fitted to a cupra - http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showpost.php?p=4222808&postcount=57
See how close it is to the bumper re-enforcement bar ? - not sure there is 50mm left to clear that cooler.

If you think you can get a taller one in then go for it.

Post pics if you do - you would be the first to do the 230 tall cooler.

And YES - FletchyFR has confirmed in this thread that the 2.0TDi is the same 57mm pipe fittings as the cupra

Last edited:

raptiler

Mar 9, 2014
okay, i will dismount the bumper again to check it out. The think it the Ic's usually are larger in the "bottom" part (where the pipes are) and then they arent straight till the top so it might there is a possibility in fitting it in because its thinner. But its hard to tell without the fmic infront of you. :p

raptiler

Mar 9, 2014
Or tbh, would be easy if you guys with the mounted fmic could raise it, (like in the air) but not dismounting the bar.that way we would see if the 65mm fitted behind the bar X-)

hard to explain it in english xD

SeatBull

Mar 25, 2014
Don't have the tools or the knowledge to do something like this.

If I was to buy the intercooler, how much do you think a garage would charge for something like this?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members