Upgrading brakes..Need advice

Craigus

Black LCR 225
I want to upgrade my brake discs,

I currently have 288's as i have the Mk1 Leon FR+

Now i thaught i would have to purchase the whole new kit, i.e. bigger calipers, discs, pads etc,

Now over reading a few threads on here is it possible to upgrade to the 312mm with just buying new pads and discs and the carriers from vagworx?

many thanks craig

volvic

It's just water
Jun 28, 2008
House of Batiatus
i've thought of upgrading the brakes but then thought it would be waste of money unless i was going to track the car. its not really going to improve daily driving is it? in-fact you'll be making the car heavier = slower + less mpg.
i'll be painting mine at some point if i can be arsed
brakes are only as good as the driver ;)

Mar 8, 2007
^ Nope I'm afraid your wrong there Volvic

Yes if you drive like a granny everyday the 288mm are fine but if you like to give it some stick now and again especially on A roads the 312mm ARE BRILLIANT

Not only that but they HAVE SAVED MY ASS a couple of times where I should have been paying better attention and someone has braked suddenly in front.

I am 99% if I had the old 288mm on I would have shunted them.

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
i've thought of upgrading the brakes but then thought it would be waste of money unless i was going to track the car. its not really going to improve daily driving is it? in-fact you'll be making the car heavier = slower + less mpg.
i'll be painting mine at some point if i can be arsed
brakes are only as good as the driver ;)

The 288mm setup is dangerous if you're doing a lot of fast stops, the 312mm setup is better but still 'fadeable' and having gone for 312mm grooved discs and 4 pot porsche brakes at the front and now 256mm grooved discs and Mk1 TT rear calipers with DS2500 all round ... it finally stops as well as it goes.

If you're actually driving the car ( as opposed to dawdling around looking for record mpg) decent brakes are a safety first and a no brainer!

volvic

It's just water
Jun 28, 2008
House of Batiatus
i dont hang about either, there are roads we all like to 'bash'. maybe i brake earlier than some and am more gentle.
maybe i do drive like a grandad :p

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
312mm Carriers from VAG Parts - £97.84

312mm CRN Grooved Discs - £79.00

Ferodo DS2500's - £105 from Bill?

= £280.

This is my nexy buy too.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
I think the brilliant thing about the 312mm setup is that the discs are cheap so its quite a good and cost efficient upgrade. My discs cost me £275 each :(

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
Same pads as it's the same caliper ... just new discs and carriers yes ... although DS2500 front pads would go nicely :)

CRN do a nice grooved 312mm disc for about £79 delivered :)

can I just clarify that our brakes come under the Audi TT 225BHP section of CRN's website?

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
Spoke to CRN.

Should get my silver zinc coated 312 grooved tomorrow. :D

So I just need the 312 Carriers now and new brake pads?

I dont need the actual calipers?

Dec 5, 2007
N W Leeds
or if you have 17 or 18" rims you could squeeze the 345mm R32 brakes :)
These being alloy calipers/carriers are actually lighter than the 288mm.....

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.